Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
Got to AZ today from MN. (were retired "snow birds"). My Speedflate two-way kit was waiting for me......TYVM.

Changed my Smitty Built QC to the USA std. QC couplers and went to work getting all my tire pressures back up to speed after the hot weather.. Used the Speedflate system to air up my golf cart tires, car tires and 4 bike tires. My JLUR was still spot-on for tire pressure.....so I just did a test fit to my jeep with the coiled 25' extension air line I already had.

Decided to throw a QC tire chuck and blow gun into my bag to provide more air options on the trail........You never know when a damsel has an air-mattress that needs filling? Grin.

One thing I had not considered when using the two tire inflator set-up......was that by doing the front tires and then the back tires........you have to walk back and forth to get to the on-off compressor switch and then back to the Speedflate gauge and the air shut - off lever. I get pretty close on my line pressures .....but have learned to let them go a little too high......then shut off the switch.....and then easily bleed a little air out with the Speedflate valve - to desired tire pressure.

I may get a bit better with this after a few airings. Been thinking of doing right side / left side of my vehicle instead of front and rear method I had thought....in order to be closer to the controls.

I do like the way I get even tire pressures in all the tires you're connected to. Time saver.

Unsure the rate of deflation on 35" tires?.......may continue to use my old air-down methods for this task......but I do want to try the Speedflate method to determine amount of time to drop 35" tires from 30 psi to 15 PSI. Nice doing multiple tires to the exact same pressure with one read on the gauge.

This is gonna simplify my air-up / down. Good product. Good service. Lots less frustration with having those tire chuck connectors rather than squatting down and holding that Smitty Built connection against the valve stem to air up. Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
In the past few days I got my Jeep ready for a trip to Utah.....starting on Thursday. Found a couple things that I did are helpful to me and thought I would share. The pics below show how I use the speedflate to fill two tires at a time I use a big rubber twist tie to quickly attach the manifold to a door handle and a coiled hose extension between the compressor and the speed-flate. This keeps it all clean and I am not bending over so much. The compressor with not over heat and quit on filling two tires.....but my Smitty Built will not do four.

SO.....I was able to air my spare to 55 PSI.....and when I put the speed-flate between my spare and my left rear tire (which was aired down to 15 PSI for my test).....the spare tire pressure is perfect to fill my 35" rear from 15 PSI to 32 PSI with no compressor use. Bingo.

Meanwhile I am cooling my compressor and re-attaching to fill the right front tire.....which is accomplished about the same time the rear was filled by the spare. Pretty quick and easy re-flate. It was 100 degrees when I did this yesterday and the Smitty Built compressor did not overheat. I hate waiting for a compressor to cool down. Grin.

EDIT: When I was done I realized I should take a pic or two.....so I rigged the compressor to the passenger side.....and the pics are wrong.....gut I think you understand the process. Sorry if it serves to confuse.

Jeep Wrangler JL Speedflate air up/down system is legit! speed-flate 1.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Speedflate air up/down system is legit! speedflate 2.JPG

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
It just doesn't seem like it takes any more time to go tire to tire than it does to set this up then pack it up. I guess you can chat while your rig airs up.

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Next thing I want to do is to get set up with some ten gauge wires from the 40 AMP fused switch in the rubicon to an Anderson QC to power my compressor at a location near my winch. That way I dont have to open the hood and fool with those battery clamps. I like plug and play stuff. Time saver.

Last edited:
Reactions: J0E

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It just doesn't seem like it takes any more time to go tire to tire than it does to set this up then pack it up. I guess you can chat while your rig airs up.
I dunno. I see this as a big time saver for me. Sometimes it's snowing or sometimes it's pretty hot here in the desert. I want to air up and get going ASAP.

Reactions: J0E

Sponsored

Speedflate

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
@GtX It is definitely a time saver overall. It doesn't take very long to take it out of the bag and hook it up. You don't have to take my word for it though, plenty of folks on here will chime in like Foggy already has and I have plenty of reviews I can share with you if your interested.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Next thing I want to do is to get set up with some ten gauge wires from the 40 AMP fused switch in the rubicon to an Anderson QC to power my compressor at a location near my winch. That way I dont have to open the hood and fool with those battery clamps. I like plug and play stuff. Time saver.
This is my plan with my Bulldog compressor. But, with 8, 6, 4 gauge wires and run it to the rear cargo compartment or have it come out at the top of the rear bumper, that way I can keep the compressor out of the elements (rain/snow) if needed. I am not to savvy with electronics, and I am not sure how to install the inline fuse, so I'm hesitant. I know they're out there and I've watched a few videos but I would love to see a extremely detailed write up.

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is my plan with my Bulldog compressor. But, with 8, 6, 4 gauge wires and run it to the rear cargo compartment or have it come out at the top of the rear bumper, that way I can keep the compressor out of the elements (rain/snow) if needed. I am not to savvy with electronics, and I am not sure how to install the inline fuse, so I'm hesitant. I know they're out there and I've watched a few videos but I would love to see a extremely detailed write up.
I'll be doing this project pretty soon. I'm making a road trip to Southern Utah this week, and have a shopping cart loaded with the right stuff on Amazon right now. From what I have read (I need to check this data) my compressor draws 35 amps and the wiring on the compressor is 10 gauge. The connectors I am buying are rated to 45 amps.

The JLUR with tow package has 4 swithes and two of those are rated and fused at 40 amps. So I will make a good connection under the hood with the Jeeps pre-wired switch wires....then feed those wires to a protected location near my winch and front bumper. Then cut off the battery clamps from the Smitty Built compressor......and splice the remaining wire (about 5 feet from a ten foot purchased 10 gauge copper wire) and add the Anderson connector. It's pretty well documented in a You Tube video. (do a google search with the terms above.).

I will try to take a few pics when I do this later next week. This could be a good "kit" for someone like speed-flate to offer as a package. ( Hint.). I'd pay some extra to have someone pre-wire a package with the proper connectors and proper wire gauge and good instructions.

Edit: It's like Jumper Cables. I'd like to buy a set of 4 gauge copper wire Jumper cables that are 16 feet long (which will allow connecting to my battery from a vehicle at my rear bumper. Well.....I can only find 12 foot or 20 foot cables with the copper wires I want. The copper wire does get spendy......so an extra 2x8 feet = 16 feet of wasted expense in buying......and some extra weight and space to haul em. I dont feel like buying the stuff to make 'em and dont have a good crimpers for heavy wire, etc. I just want to buy 'em......such as I am. Grin.

Last edited:

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
In the past few days I got my Jeep ready for a trip to Utah.....starting on Thursday. Found a couple things that I did are helpful to me and thought I would share. The pics below show how I use the speedflate to fill two tires at a time I use a big rubber twist tie to quickly attach the manifold to a door handle and a coiled hose extension between the compressor and the speed-flate. This keeps it all clean and I am not bending over so much. The compressor with not over heat and quit on filling two tires.....but my Smitty Built will not do four.

SO.....I was able to air my spare to 55 PSI.....and when I put the speed-flate between my spare and my left rear tire (which was aired down to 15 PSI for my test).....the spare tire pressure is perfect to fill my 35" rear from 15 PSI to 32 PSI with no compressor use. Bingo.

Meanwhile I am cooling my compressor and re-attaching to fill the right front tire.....which is accomplished about the same time the rear was filled by the spare. Pretty quick and easy re-flate. It was 100 degrees when I did this yesterday and the Smitty Built compressor did not overheat. I hate waiting for a compressor to cool down. Grin.

EDIT: When I was done I realized I should take a pic or two.....so I rigged the compressor to the passenger side.....and the pics are wrong.....gut I think you understand the process. Sorry if it serves to confuse.

What Smittybilt compressor is that you have? I just ordered a 4x Pro kit since I figured my Smittybilt 2781 could handle all four at once.

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
One thing about your plan is.....if you have a JLUR with the tow package......then you already have a 40 amp switch that is fused. I am certain those wires are available to you under the hood.....but they may also be available inside the cabin. I think they are. If so - far easier. Check on how guys are wiring up those refigerators in the back. Use that plan.

So... if you run proper gauge wire to the back of your vehicle and hook up a 45 Amp Anderson connector......you would have everything needed to power your compressor. The trick is running those wires through the firewall (if needed) and along the floorboards / doors of your vehicle to the rear. If it were me.....I would leave the wire and connector inside the vehicle and you would keep them clean and could operate a refrigerator or freezer, some tools, or chargers and etc with other plug devices.

I ran a CB cable from the back of my vehicle to the front. You could get a good feel for this wiring via the how-to You Tube video by Cool Tech. For me the hard part is getting thru the firewall....and I recently read on this site about penetrating the firewall on the drivers side. I ran some small wires through a rubber grommet on the passenger side and it was a challenge. So.....I would investigate the solution of using the drivers side.

I doubt you would need 4 or 6 gauge wire.....more likely 8 or 10 would serve you quite well for 40 amps. I'd need to look it up....but I am quite certain 10 is adequate.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What Smittybilt compressor is that you have? I just ordered a 4x Pro kit since I figured my Smittybilt 2781 could handle all four at once.
I'm glad you asked. I have a SB Model 2781. It has a max draw of 45 amps. So, my plan to use the Jeep's 40 amp switch and fuse are now over. I will need a fuse and terminals to go directly to the battery. Sorry guys......I made a mistake and "assumed". More investigating to get this right. Been to busy playing golf and getting ready for my trip to check the "details". My Bad. :D

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
I'm glad you asked. I have a SB Model 2781. It has a max draw of 45 amps. So, my plan to use the Jeep's 40 amp switch and fuse are now over. I will need a fuse and terminals to go directly to the battery. Sorry guys......I made a mistake and "assumed". More investigating to get this right. Been to busy playing golf and getting ready for my trip to check the "details". My Bad. :D
But can it run to fill all four tires at once?

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
But can it run to fill all four tires at once?
The answer is "depends". Normally here in the desert......I can easily fill three but the thermal overload will kick in and put me out of biz before I get four in. Thus why I use the spare tire to fill tire number four. I suppose in cooler temps I may get four filled.....but that compressor gets pretty hot....and fast. In the past I have waited a few mins for a cool down or two before I am ready to go. I wish I had a better compressor.....but then I wish for allot of stuff. I get along with the SB.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
One thing about your plan is.....if you have a JLUR with the tow package......then you already have a 40 amp switch that is fused. I am certain those wires are available to you under the hood.....but they may also be available inside the cabin. I think they are. If so - far easier. Check on how guys are wiring up those refigerators in the back. Use that plan.

So... if you run proper gauge wire to the back of your vehicle and hook up a 45 Amp Anderson connector......you would have everything needed to power your compressor. The trick is running those wires through the firewall (if needed) and along the floorboards / doors of your vehicle to the rear. If it were me.....I would leave the wire and connector inside the vehicle and you would keep them clean and could operate a refrigerator or freezer, some tools, or chargers and etc with other plug devices.

I ran a CB cable from the back of my vehicle to the front. You could get a good feel for this wiring via the how-to You Tube video by Cool Tech. For me the hard part is getting thru the firewall....and I recently read on this site about penetrating the firewall on the drivers side. I ran some small wires through a rubber grommet on the passenger side and it was a challenge. So.....I would investigate the solution of using the drivers side.

I doubt you would need 4 or 6 gauge wire.....more likely 8 or 10 would serve you quite well for 40 amps. I'd need to look it up....but I am quite certain 10 is adequate.
I don't have the Acc switch/tow package, when they wheeled my Jeep off of the truck, that was the one thing it was missing that I wanted. Dealer wanted $800 to put it in(without the bigger alternator). So I opted out and now kick myself in the butt for not doing it mainly just for the switches as I can throw a receiver/harness on myself for easily under $200.

10 is what I see on the YouTube videos but they have it running out the grill, the reason I was looking at a the heavier gauge is I figured I would loose power (what ever the term is?) with lighter gauge/longer cords running to the back of the jeep.

@jason0341 you're in the Springs, right? If so you can take a look at my Bulldog, I picked it up at Predator 4x4. I love it can do all 4x35's with no issues it's actually rated for 37's, it does get hot but I haven't run into any thermal issues. I have the 2xSpeedFlate.

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

So I ordered 8 GAUGE COPPER wire and the 50 Amp Anderson-style (knock-off brand) connections from Amazon. I did connect this wire to my Jeep's 40 amp auxiliary fused, switch that came with my trailer tow package. I located the Anderson Connection near my winch inside the front bumper.....where it tucks away nicely. I had ten feet of 8 gauge wire in red and 10 in black. Connected the black to the grounding block near the aux wiring connection (which is located near the battery). I did'n have any excess wire - just right. I cut off the Schmitty Built battery connectors and replace with the Anderson type connection.

One thing I wish I had done was to use 10 gauge wire instead of 8. It's hard to find terminals and do connections using 8 gauge stuff. I did buy a crimper at Harbor Freight and that helped the process. I did crimp and solder all the connections and used some heat shrink tubes for insulation and to keep things from coming undone.

I had considered connecting directly to my battery terminals with the 8 gauge wires.....but I could not find an 8 gauge 50 amp fuse at any of the local auto stores. I did not want to spend more time so I decided to wire to the available fused circuit the Jeep provides. I think this was a good choice (except I wish I had chose 10 gauge copper wire.)

To check my system.......I deflated one side of my rig to 12 PSI. Then did my test using the compressor and new wiring. It took 6 minutes to inflate from 12 PSI to 33 PSI on the two tires. I felt all the wires to check for any hot spots etc. The ten gauge was a little warmer to the touch than the 8 gauge......but barely detectable. I believe for my needs the 10 gauge and the 40 Amp circuit as found on the Jeep Aux Wiring package are adequate for this task.

This system works as good as going to the battery terminals via the Smitty Clamps.. Now I dont have to pop the hood and I have adequate length to position the compressor to reach the shut off switch, etc. Glad I did this mod. Lots of time savers and simplicity of operation......and I get very even inflation pressures with the better gauge and dual tires inflated at one time.

I also equipped myself with a single tire chuck, a blow gun, and a QC shraeder-style connection for airing-up at a gas station. I hate bending over and holding those station chucks and using crappy tire pressure gauzes.

Jeep Wrangler JL Speedflate air up/down system is legit! 50 Amp Anderson Connection

Jeep Wrangler JL Speedflate air up/down system is legit! side veiw jee
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.