Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Understand the point people are making, not that Automatic braking doesn’t impact the part that the Dumber Human now no longer controls, it’s the impact overall beyond just that feature, due to relaxed awareness. Did other thins go up, they didn’t say. Sure the impact of rear-ends is 40% less in the automated braking... but shouldn’t it be higher, considering it is no linger left to just the chair moisteners to intervene? With just a warning it’s 13%, so that’s saying more than double the imoact is due to a comouter doing it instead of the inattetive HoOoman who can’t do it with just a warning.

Those stats within the study itself, don’t support a greater attention level, it still did way better without the human. That’s the point, not whether automated systems aren’t good in and of themselves (see prior comments of such) nor that they aren’t saving ever poorer drivers vehicles/lives. Just that there is also a negative effect that lowers the bar for drivers.

Remember with Automatic Braking, you’re at the very beginning where it’s all benefit, and the poor habits, laziness and inability hasn’t had a chance to catch up yet, give it a few years and look at the overall picture, not just the stuff that can be mostly automated.
Sponsored

Klausvanwinkle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
Understand the point people are making, not that Automatic braking doesn’t impact the part that the Dumber Human now no longer controls, it’s the impact overall beyond just that feature, due to relaxed awareness. Did other thins go up, they didn’t say. Sure the impact of rear-ends is 40% less in the automated braking... but shouldn’t it be higher, considering it is no linger left to just the chair moisteners to intervene? With just a warning it’s 13%, so that’s saying more than double the imoact is due to a comouter doing it instead of the inattetive HoOoman who can’t do it with just a warning.

Those stats within the study itself, don’t support a greater attention level, it still did way better without the human. That’s the point, not whether automated systems aren’t good in and of themselves (see prior comments of such) nor that they aren’t saving ever poorer drivers vehicles/lives. Just that there is also a negative effect that lowers the bar for drivers.

Remember with Automatic Braking, you’re at the very beginning where it’s all benefit, and the poor habits, laziness and inability hasn’t had a chance to catch up yet, give it a few years and look at the overall picture, not just the stuff that can be mostly automated.
This concept has been proven to be true in everything from cars to football helmets. The first episode of Freakonomics was about this counterintuitive phenomenon. But it's also kind of unavoidable. People said the same thing about seat belts and anti lock brakes. But as long as most people want them and will pay more for them, they persevere. In the long term, it's another step toward autonomous cars and Jeeps becoming a toy for rich ranchers. And in the shorter term, we'll see how far these technologies go toward Volvo realizing their goal of zero deaths in their cars by 2020.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
I'm one of the world's best drivers!. I don't need any of those stupid nanny safety devices! I just want to make sure that they are on all of those incompetent drivers' vehicles. I have never backed into another car. But what about the lady who backed into my car at Walmart...she still didn't stop even tho' I was holding down the horn?.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Yeah I agree, the tech is great, my issue isn't with the tech, it's with the ever more sedated chair moisteners behind the wheel on their way home from a day in Sector 7G at the plant, who will likely use it more often in poor conditions.

Ape....LOL!....Sector 7G! too funny

Sponsored