First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Website
irace.net
Vehicle(s)
Golf R
Hi from a new member. My wife hasn't quite forgiven me for getting rid of our old YJ, way back when. But she's also a bit envious of the adaptive cruise control in my daily driver. What do you think are the chances that the JL will have adaptive cruise as an option?
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Can't really tell from the leaked interior photos (to severe an angle to determine composition of cruise button), nor from the test mule photos (front sensors likely covered by mesh & camo [which would hamper testing of that feature]).

Even if it isn't offered year 1, it's likely an option soon thereafter due to the automakers agreement/pledge with NHTSA/IIHS to offer AEB (AdvancedEmergencyBraking / AutomaticEmergencyBraking) on all new passenger vehicles by 2022. In order to achieve this the sensors and hardware that Adaptive Cruise Control would leverage need to be in place.

I'm not a fan of ACC due to the likelyhood that people relax their attentiveness (especially in weather where plain old cruise control shouldn't be used), but I'm all for adding optional features as long as I can turn them off (ya' hear me ESS !?! :angry: )

Anyways, even if it's not offered at launch it would need to be offered by Sept 2022 if the automakers stick to their pledge.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Like said above, I think it will be offered at some point in the JL life span, not sure if it will be at first though. I know the ACC on our Subie has been surprisingly pleasant. I only ever really use it when we go on long trips, but it sure is nice on those trips.

Shaddrach

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Freedom Edition, Avalanche LTZ
I don't see it as very likely at all. At least, not until it is mandated, especially with the way Jeep has designed theirs. The low mounted camera is terrible for off road driving. Most wrangler owners lift their jeeps and/or replace their front bumper. Both of these actions have a negative impact on ACC cameras. Changing the location of the camera requires it to be re-aimed, and if not done so perfectly, you will be driving down the road and suddenly your vehicle will emergency brake because it falsely detects something in front of you, (ask me how i know) haha.

Unless they develop an ACC system like Subaru (contained inside the vehicle) it would be a terrible idea. Well, terrible idea for someone to purchase it as an option. Great for FCA, because people would be tearing them up left and right. The ACC on my Grand Cherokee cost over $2,300 to replace....not fun. I appreciated the feature, when it worked, but you also have to realize it is another item that will fail eventually, and is not a cheap one.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
I'm not a fan of ACC due to the likelyhood that people relax their attentiveness (especially in weather where plain old cruise control shouldn't be used), but I'm all for adding optional features as long as I can turn them off (ya' hear me ESS !?! :angry: )
I am of the other camp. I really enjoy the ACC in our Charger.

Regular old cruise control was nice back in the 70's and 80s', when highways were a lot less crowded. You could set a fixed speed, like 58mph (remember Nixon and 55?), and go for an hour or more before getting "stuck" behind vehicles going slower. Today, I am lucky if I can travel at a fixed speed for a whole 5 or 10 minutes, before needing to tap the brake.

The ACC on the Charger, I can set to 75mph, and the Charger will adjust the speed downward, when needed, to match the vehicles ahead (mostly fully loaded trucks in passing-only-lane, going up a steep hill :no: ).

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Yeah I agree, the tech is great, my issue isn't with the tech, it's with the ever more sedated chair moisteners behind the wheel on their way home from a day in Sector 7G at the plant, who will likely use it more often in poor conditions.

JJ75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
I don't see it as very likely at all. At least, not until it is mandated, especially with the way Jeep has designed theirs. The low mounted camera is terrible for off road driving. Most wrangler owners lift their jeeps and/or replace their front bumper. Both of these actions have a negative impact on ACC cameras. Changing the location of the camera requires it to be re-aimed, and if not done so perfectly, you will be driving down the road and suddenly your vehicle will emergency brake because it falsely detects something in front of you, (ask me how i know) haha.

Unless they develop an ACC system like Subaru (contained inside the vehicle) it would be a terrible idea. Well, terrible idea for someone to purchase it as an option. Great for FCA, because people would be tearing them up left and right. The ACC on my Grand Cherokee cost over $2,300 to replace....not fun. I appreciated the feature, when it worked, but you also have to realize it is another item that will fail eventually, and is not a cheap one.
As ACC systems have advanced they've increasingly been placed right behind the rear view mirror so Jeep would just have to place it there and we avoid the physical damage issue. Everything from Subaru to MINIs (among others) have it there now.

2015-Mini-Cooper-features-02-626x382.jpg
2013-Subaru-Outback-EyeSight-4-thumb-620x362-42524.jpeg

As for changing the height of the vehicle and interfering with the ACC's function, I know BMW guys who lower their car 1-2" and ACC seems to work fine without adjustment. Granted that's not the 4" lifts often seen on the Wrangler.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I'm in the camp against ACC, despite the fact that yeah, it's pretty awesome. ACC, blind spot monitoring, and lane departure warning systems have created a culture of incredibly bad drivers who simply do not pay attention to anything around them. I don't care if you had a long day at work and have a 40 mile commute home. Behind the wheel, you need to be alert and aware of everything around you.

These technologies are effective tools, but they're more so used to supplement the lack of driving skill and attentiveness. For as much as these things are designed to promote a safer driving experience, the number of car accidents (and fatalities) continue to rise year after year because people are screwing around with phones, infotainment displays, and every other gadget in the universe instead of doing the most important thing inside their vehicle: driving it.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I'm in the camp against ACC, despite the fact that yeah, it's pretty awesome. ACC, blind spot monitoring, and lane departure warning systems have created a culture of incredibly bad drivers who simply do not pay attention to anything around them. I don't care if you had a long day at work and have a 40 mile commute home. Behind the wheel, you need to be alert and aware of everything around you.

These technologies are effective tools, but they're more so used to supplement the lack of driving skill and attentiveness. For as much as these things are designed to promote a safer driving experience, the number of car accidents (and fatalities) continue to rise year after year because people are screwing around with phones, infotainment displays, and every other gadget in the universe instead of doing the most important thing inside their vehicle: driving it.
I'm not sure I agree with your assessment. Infotainment and other gadgets may cause distractions but lane departure warnings, ACC, blind-spot monitoring, and auto emergency braking are all safety features (well, not ACC) and are items that do not require any input while driving. I think you are combining two different things and then lumping them all together when they are in fact, separate.

These things are said to create worse driving, (because of increased reliance on them) but only in forums like this. I have yet to see any actual evidence to support it. I would guess that if accidents are on the rise, it's due to cell phones, radios, or other items that require active input, not passive safely features. Heck, blinkers take more in put to use than blind-spot monitoring or auto-braking!

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infotainment and other gadgets may cause distractions but lane departure warnings, ACC, blind-spot monitoring, and auto emergency braking are all safety features (well, not ACC) and are items that do not require any input while driving. I think you are combining two different things and then lumping them all together when they are in fact, separate.
That's exactly my point. They require no input. These safety features require drivers to NOT look before changing lanes, NOT pay attention to traffic in front of them while cruising, and NOT keep their hands on the wheel and stay inside lanes.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
That's exactly my point. They require no input. These safety features require drivers to NOT look before changing lanes, NOT pay attention to traffic in front of them while cruising, and NOT keep their hands on the wheel and stay inside lanes.
Except on one hand, you are saying that extra stuff to fiddle with is causing accidents and then on the other hand, the stuff that you don't have to fiddle with is causing accidents. So is it the stuff distracting you or the things warning you? These things are separate and shouldn't be lumped together in an argument. Anyway, if anyone has any actual evidence of an increase of accidents due to the added SAFETY features, I would love to see it.

Personally, I think you're flat out wrong and are using a fear based scare tactic to prove your point. Will these items be added to the Wrangler line up? Probably. It will most likely be mandated by the feds before too long.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Except on one hand, you are saying that extra stuff to fiddle with is causing accidents and then on the other hand, the stuff that you don't have to fiddle with is causing accidents.
That isn't what I said. At all.

People aren't distracted by the inclusion or use of these safety features. They're distracted by fumbling around on phones and gadgets while relying on said safety features to keep them in check. By staying off a phone while driving, keeping their eyes on the road, and checking their surroundings before changing lanes or making turns, ACC, lane departure warnings, and blind spot monitoring features are completely unnecessary. These features don't exist because most drivers are good. They exist because most drivers are bad.
Sponsored