Tgpj83

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
Hello All,

First, I’ll go ahead and apologize for this thread as I’m sure the answer is already on here somewhere. I did look for a while but could not find my specific problem.

My Jeep came with the factory upgraded sound system but over time I wasn’t pleased with it. I decided to change/upgrade to a whole new sound system except for the head unit . All new speakers, new amp, sub and some other small required parts. I had it installed professionally at and very reputable place. Im very picky and this was done right. No corners cut here.

Here’s the problem. When I’m at a stoplight and the auto start stop feature kicks in, Jeep cuts off as normal, music is still playing, but when it restarts my music cuts off for 3-5 seconds every time. My speakers/sound never cut off before I got my new sound system during the restart.

Does anyone know what is causing this and how It can be fixed?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
Hello All,

First, I’ll go ahead and apologize for this thread as I’m sure the answer is already on here somewhere. I did look for a while but could not find my specific problem.

My Jeep came with the factory upgraded sound system but over time I wasn’t pleased with it. I decided to change/upgrade to a whole new sound system except for the head unit . All new speakers, new amp, sub and some other small required parts. I had it installed professionally at and very reputable place. Im very picky and this was done right. No corners cut here.

Here’s the problem. When I’m at a stoplight and the auto start stop feature kicks in, Jeep cuts off as normal, music is still playing, but when it restarts my music cuts off for 3-5 seconds every time. My speakers/sound never cut off before I got my new sound system during the restart.

Does anyone know what is causing this and how It can be fixed?

Thanks in advance.
Are the new speakers/sub powered, and is their power taken from a different source?

OP
OP
Tgpj83

Tgpj83

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
Are the new speakers/sub powered, and is their power taken from a different source?

Sorry, I have little experience in this area. What exactly do you mean when you say source? If I’m understanding you correctly, my answer is yes.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the shop connected the new wiring to the main battery instead of the smaller second battery. Not really sure...

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, I have little experience in this area. What exactly do you mean when you say source? If I’m understanding you correctly, my answer is yes.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the shop connected the new wiring to the main battery instead of the smaller second battery. Not really sure...
Best guess is that the triggered power wire the installer used is tapped into a delayed power source. Your aftermarket equipment has a constant 12V source and a triggered 12V source. The trigger wire simply tells the amp when to turn on and off based on whether the ignition is on/off, and the constant 12V source is typically fed by a direct connection to the battery. I'd recommend contacting your installer to ask them which wire they used for the "trigger wire" to see if it's possibly on a fuse/relay that introduces a delay. - Good luck!

Sponsored

phranque1673

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Ocean Blue
It sounds like the new amp is powering all speakers. Easy check. Start the car as normal in the driveway and have someone looking at the power light on the amp. Have the ESS kick on and then off and see if the light on the amp flashes. Sounds like the lead that tells the amp to turn on is getting cut off when the cars starts back up causing the amp to restart causing the sound to cut out briefly.

sportsguy

First Name
duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JLU Rubicon w/a snail
Occupation
Marketing
The shop did not account for ESS and installed the system as normal. Direct to 12v with a trigger to turn things on when a “key” starts things up.

“Source” here may refer to either the head unit (the radio) or the battery (12v source).

Couple thoughts for others reading this down the road:

Always fully tested your new stereo installs - start the vehicle, hit all the features, turn the knobs, etc. Then cycle the vehicle off, and back on. If you’ve got ESS, add a quick drive in the parking lot to the list to see how the new system reacts. Do this BEFORE you leave the shop, ideally with a shop manager or the installer with you. Seems a bit of a PITA, right? Well, your new car is a technological marvel being worked on by a gent who went to community college (or not), without access to the factory manuals and schematics.

paying for a quality install has a variety of meanings. You might get what you hope for: a TV-show quality install that is as if the factory did it. Or you may get a simple install done to the usual standards. Not bad, completely safe, but maybe not fully tested.

I used to do pro car audio work a couple decades ago. Show cars, contests, etc. It was SO much simpler. Today, nope. Happy to buy the upgraded factory system and remember that the interior of an automobile is a terrible place for high quality sound reproduction. Great for rocking out, so I just accept the factory system limits.

That said, this is such a highly personal point, it’s worth each person pursuing their own path. IMO, it’s fun and exciting to upgrade things in my cars.

ziff73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR & 2013 BMW M5 (former)
was there a solution to this? i tried using the trigger wire on the PAC Amp as well as a fuse tap connected to the cigarette lighter and heated seats. i still get 1-2 second audio loss at engine restart and the amp light flickers green (amp startup) at the restart.

looks like ther's a voltage drop?

JL XD700/5v2
Sponsored