Spark plug socket?

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
just wondering if anyone carries a spark plug socket (or multiples in different sizes) in their tool kit: I can't imagine really ever needing one, but we all know what happens that ONE time you don't take something.

the tool set I got actually came with 3 sae sizes, but no metric: what size(s) would probably be the better one(s) to carry for emergencies
Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
At least on a V6, I don't think its a roadside/trailside repair to get to the plugs. I think at least for one side the intake manifold needs to be pulled.

I do have a plug socket in my tool bag, but thats because I use the same small kit on my motorcycles.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
At least on a V6, I don't think its a roadside/trailside repair to get to the plugs. I think at least for one side the intake manifold needs to be pulled.

I do have a plug socket in my tool bag, but thats because I use the same small kit on my motorcycles.
Great point! I'm not looking forward to the day I need to change plugs on the 3.6L. In my past, vehicle plugs changes were about 5min per cylinder so this is a very different situation

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Great point! I'm not looking forward to the day I need to change plugs on the 3.6L. In my past, vehicle plugs changes were about 5min per cylinder so this is a very different situation
Stay out of deep water and be sure the engine doesn't get hydro locked.

Later,
Johnny

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Yes and long gone are the days of 5 minute replacements. The V6 isn't any harder than various vehicles over the past many years which require the intake to be removed. I still consider these better than a 77 Camaro which molded the body around the engine then placed razor sharp aluminum heat protection around the plugs.
Sponsored