Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
the JL tailgate is magnesium.. I think you'll be fine.. jeep made these tailgates strong and anything that replaces the stock hinges I think is fine for 200lbs.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Just wondering...do the other brands mentioned here allow depth and tilt of the spare? The Spartacus has 4 tilt settings which I thought was pretty nice. I can get the top of the tire angled and just clearing the rear wiper which I suppose is better for weight distribution as well. It's very tight to the rear window.

1674931965182.png
The Cavfab Elite hinged carrier holds my 40x13.5 Milestar Patagonias so close to the tailgate, that the lower right corner of the window grazes the tires side biting lugs if the gate isn't opened fully against the hinge stop. There's zero room left for any forward tilt, so no extra moving parts.

Damn they removed your tallight to install that thing? That cavfab is beefy!! i see you have a ton of elevation settings too. that or motobilt will be the replacement if this RR ever fails.
This carrier not only replaces the factory hinges, but also includes an extra stiffening plate that sits on the opposite side of the body panel from the hinges, thus sandwiching the body panel. On top of that, the factory hinges attach to the body with 3 bolts each, whereas the Cavfab hinges have 4 bolts each providing a stronger friction joint. There's already a 4th unused hole in the body panel, so no drilling is required.

ah ok so for a nice clean install with wire routing.. got you! I'm also searching for a tire carrier license plate bracket... that's next when I toss the stock rear bumper.

Prob buy this.. this rear bumper is all beat up and has to go... https://ruggedridge.com/p/rugged-ridge-license-plate-relocation-bracket/rgr-11585-25/
When you toss the factory rear bumper, the license plate light harness will need to be extended to relocate the lamp to the spare. The cleanest and most protected route is across the new bumper, up behind the taillight, through an existing big rubber grommet into the cargo area behind the passenger side interior panel, through the braided sleeve with the other tailgate harnesses, and finally out through the rubber grommet on the gate behind the spare. Talk about runaway sentences... 😆.

The passenger side taillight, the cargo floor panel via the 6 bolts that also attach the steel ring tie-downs, passenger side interior cargo panel, and interior tailgate panel need to be removed to route the new plate light harness. In that specific order. Easier than it sounds, but soaks up time to do a clean job.

Jeep Wrangler JL Spare tire relocated and tail gate reinforcement 20220806_091830_resized

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just so that he could reach in and route the wires. It is really only 1 bolt to remove the hole tail light assembly (at least on the LED models).

Yeah -- @Headbarcode and some buddies hung off his and it would not budge and it was the reason I went with it. It is seriously a beast and when I added the LOD camera relocation, it means that I have nothing to remove to replace (aside from the lug nuts) to remove the spare.

I am building a set of brackets to add the OEM 3rd brake light back to it and that part will be 100% completed.
Just to clarify, it was only me who hung on the half opened gate. So, it was just my 190ish lbs plus the 130ish lb spare that was hanging on the gate. Still, over 300lbs and no perceived give at the hinges. I'll take that.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just to clarify, it was only me who hung on the half opened gate. So, it was just my 190ish lbs plus the 130ish lb spare that was hanging on the gate. Still, over 300lbs and no perceived give at the hinges. I'll take that.
Ah...I miscounted the tire as a "buddy" - my mistake LOL

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
when/if I go 40's I will def look at the cavfab! but that's right I need a plate light for legality.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ah...I miscounted the tire as a "buddy" - my mistake LOL
It's only my buddy in between rotations.

Eventually I'm gonna have to install a jib boom to help lift that SOB up to the carrier. 😆 Just did a full rotation yesterday, and today I....
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare tire relocated and tail gate reinforcement b393efa0-e2d3-4a1f-89f5-634962770a96_text

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
when/if I go 40's I will def look at the cavfab! but that's right I need a plate light for legality.
I spent the time routing the plate light harness, but almost 2 years later and I still haven't hooked up the Artec bolt lights that came in while the carrier and bumper were still out for powder coat. I've gotten too used to how clean it looks at night with just the running lights.

Jeep Wrangler JL Spare tire relocated and tail gate reinforcement 20220924_232735
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare tire relocated and tail gate reinforcement 20220213_201148

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's only my buddy in between rotations.

Eventually I'm gonna have to install a jib boom to help lift that SOB up to the carrier. 😆 Just did a full rotation yesterday, and today I....
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare tire relocated and tail gate reinforcement 20220213_201148
Yeah--I hear you, it's a struggle just with a BFG 37", I may go heavier (LRE) and single lifts are out after that.

AdamG

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLSportS
Is there a relocation bracket that only moves the spare mount up and not out? I have 285-70 tires now and will likely go to 35x11.5 and so only need to get up off the bumper, not out. Current tires are 1/4” away from the stock plastic bumper on a 2dr Sport.
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare tire relocated and tail gate reinforcement 5456A38E-0798-4B00-97F9-FE10B293CB74

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
didnt we say they move up AND out, how much do you want to spend?

the $600 Spartacus moves it up and in.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
I believe they all raise it out a bit. Rough country or red rock etc have those steel plates that run around $60+. I think they have versions that raise it 2” or 4”
The Spartacus can tilt the spare forward if you have those fast back tops but it also pushes the spare out a bit.
Sponsored