Spare Tire One Inch Smaller

OP
OP

Go Hogs!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Appreciate the responses. I will pick up a used tire of the same size and brand on eBay for the spare. I will not take the risk.
Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Don't do it. You'll freak out the Jeep if you use the spare.

The wheel speed sensors will constantly think the smaller tire is slipping and losing traction because its rotation speed will be slightly faster than the other tires. Then all sorts of unnecessary alarms and restrictions will kick in.

You're far better off getting the right sized spare and doing a 5 tire rotation.
I stand corrected— my 95 PU that has had no issues doing this 27 years doesn’t have all the computerized systems to make a mess of it.

Reactions: J0E

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I stand corrected— my 95 PU that has had no issues doing this 27 years doesn’t have all the computerized systems to make a mess of it.
Yup, modern technology and jerry rigging are not friends.

Apexcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500
On my other Jeeps I have only rotated 4 and then when time for the first replacement bought the exact same tire and only bought 3 and used the "original" spare as the 4th tire and put the best of the worn tires on as the spare. Come to think of it, in 40 years of driving, I have never used a spare tire to replace a flat....(knock on wood)
Wouldn’t this be just like rotating 5 tires and then keeping the least worn as the spare? You would have to buy 4 but each tire should last longer anyway and offset the cost by not having to replace as often.

XJ-99

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (sold), 2010 Toyota RAV4v6 Limited (sold), 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Mojito!
On my other Jeeps I have only rotated 4 and then when time for the first replacement bought the exact same tire and only bought 3 and used the "original" spare as the 4th tire and put the best of the worn tires on as the spare. Come to think of it, in 40 years of driving, I have never used a spare tire to replace a flat....(knock on wood)

Hopefully you will never have to replace a flat, but you never know when you might. On my first Jeep, I had a tire shred on a back road in the middle of Montana, miles from the closest paved road. I was so glad I replaced the donut with a full-size spare.
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire One Inch Smaller 2012-06-29 Montana Trip Day Six-0008.JPG

Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Don't do it. You'll freak out the Jeep if you use the spare.

The wheel speed sensors will constantly think the smaller tire is slipping and losing traction because its rotation speed will be slightly faster than the other tires. Then all sorts of unnecessary alarms and restrictions will kick in.

You're far better off getting the right sized spare and doing a 5 tire rotation.
I've run a 31" spare on the front with 37's all around. Like others say, put it on the front then in 2 Hi no differential to worry about. I have 4 full size spares at home.

great way to destroy your differential running 2 different size tires on the same axle, not to mention unsafe
LOL

Get the full size fixed ASAP. Don't go over 65 MPH.

Hopefully you will never have to replace a flat, but you never know when you might. On my first Jeep, I had a tire shred on a back road in the middle of Montana, miles from the closest paved road. I was so glad I replaced the donut with a full-size spare.
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire One Inch Smaller 2012-06-29 Montana Trip Day Six-0008.JPG
Ha, I need to get a donut for my Leaf. Leaf's and many new cars don't come with a spare, not even a donut. For sure you need a real tire where you were at. I don't take the leaf off road much.

SDE

First Name
Artem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 3.6 XR
Isn’t it the same as only rotating 4 tires (like my dealer recommended, and like many of us probably do) and eventually needing to use the unworn spare?

After just a year and 12K miles, my spare has a noticeably larger thread as the 4 tires wear out.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Just save up till you can afford one more tire. The difference of 1" isn't the problem, it is the revolutions per mile that tire will need to achieve to keep up with the other three. This increased revolution will create excessive heat. There are also the numerous electronics that will have to compensate (ABS, etc) for the fact that one tire is moving considerably fast than all three other tires.

For instance the 255 tire is rotating 629 times per mile, where as the 275 is covering the same distance with 609 rotations.

If you needed it in an emergency pinch where you weren't going to go a considerable distance or speed, you're probably fine. But if you need it for a long haul, I wound't personally do it.
Every time I see this question asked, I can't help but envision spiking the ball at the 5 yard line. I'll never see the justification in doing so. All it takes is a little more effort to erase any wiggle room to debate.

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
A 1" smaller spare beats no spare.
Don't let anyone talk you into the dumbest thing since angry grills: the "spare tire delete" aka STD.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
A bunch of mamby pamby, worry wart, the sky is falling, BS.

Using a Toyo AT3 as the tire du jour for this discussion smaller tire theoretically goes around 628.6 revolutions per mile. The larger tire goes around 607.8 revolutions over the same mile. That's about 21 revolutions per minute difference at 60 mph, or 1 revolution in 3 seconds, or about the speed of a hot dog on the roller cooker in 7Eleven. I'm pretty sure the spider gears can handle that for quite a long while. ABS is looking for a locked wheel and it doesn't even come into play until you get deep in the binders (but we all knew that).

Yeah, I wouldn't retrace Route 66 across the country like that, but you know many a down and out drifter has done exactly that. Get over it. Nothing here to worry about for spare that may see a few hundred miles, if any.

Last edited:

Smoke Showing

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Wouldn’t the same be true if you use a virgin spare to replace a well worn A/T or M/T when you have a flat? The spare is the oddball because it’s now bigger. This is another reason to use the rule of 5’s: 5 matching tires/5 tire rotation/5 thousand miles. I used to be that person who didn’t rotate tires unless I saw uneven wear. I was young and dumb, I have actually paid a $10 disposal fee on brand new spares when I changed brands and sizes. 4 people like me and the mechanic gets himself new tires and a tank of gas. I wonder how much I paid for blinker fluid too?

Bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Sahara 4xe
If one upgraded their 255/70/18 Sport Altitude tires to 275/70/18 and left the 255 on as the spare for emergency use only, would there be an issue with this setup as long as 4WD wasn't used? The difference when the tires are new would be 1 inch, and that difference would continue to shrink as the tires on the ground aged.
No issue if you put it on the front right and stay out of 4wd. With the fad on that side, from a mechanical stand point it won't matter one bit as it's only connected to the outer axle shaft and won't even turn the spider gears.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
Every time I see this question asked, I can't help but envision spiking the ball at the 5 yard line. I'll never see the justification in doing so. All it takes is a little more effort to erase any wiggle room to debate.
Especially since you can buy the cheapest used tire with only a bit of tread left. It's only for emergency use.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Especially since you can buy the cheapest used tire with only a bit of tread left. It's only for emergency use.
The only difference between 5 and 4 tire rotations is how much is spent on one given occasion. Over time and multiple sets of tires, the total cost evens out.

The benefits of 5 tire rotations done every 5k miles, are maximizing the time and mileage between replacement and always having a spare of known condition and comparable worn size to the 4 on the ground. A secondary benefit is only needing 1 jack during the whole process, because the spare is dropped first and there's always a loose one waiting to go on until finally making it around to hanging the new spare.
Sponsored