Sponsored

Spare tire holder when upgrading to 35's?

Mhoward1275

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wragler Willys
When keeping the same size wheel but going to a 35" tire am I going to need to change out the spare tire holder to allow a proper fit, and also the back up camera?
Sponsored

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
No you don’t. I have 35” (KO2 315/70/17) tire on factory wheels and did not need a new spare tire carriers. It sits tight on the bumper but works perfect. Any bigger you will need. See pic, I can send more when I get home.

936BB4BD-CA61-4024-B07A-429A43EA9C69.jpeg

Last edited:

BShaw32

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 4 Door Wrangler High Altitude

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
How has this worked for you so far? I'm about to have to do something on our Jeep but I'd like to try this first if its been a good alternative to replacing the bumper.
Actually, I havent thought about it since installing it. This is a good thing. I have zero rattles and the tire is snug with zero movement.

Sponsored

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
You should look at a stronger hinged gate also. You might need it depending on how much weight was added.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
You need to look at the weight of the tire+wheel. If you keep rubi wheels i find it unlikely youd need to add reinforcement. A lot of AT 35s are about the same weight as the 33 falken MTs that come with rubis

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I have 35x11.5x17 Toyo AT3’s on factory rim. Rubicon with steel bumpers and the spare just swipes across it. No issues so far with stock carrier. I just moved the brake light up.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
You should look at a stronger hinged gate also. You might need it depending on how much weight was added.
Hinges are fine. Our Jeep has the Mopar tailgate reinforcement and the go rhino relocation bracket(same as Quadra tech one above) but the hinges themselves are factory. No rattles, no sagging, and it’s been holding up a heavy 37” x-mt for ~30k miles including hundreds of desert miles at speed across rough roads. A 35 on a stock wheel barely weighs more than the stock 33.

lclaborn

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it may make a difference if you have the plastic bumper vs the steel bumper. The only reason I say is because of the install instructions from the Teraflex Alpha spare tire carrier. Which I really like for my set up. Very adjustable and can dial in exactly where you need your spare to set. Granted what you are doing is different than my set up. I put 35s on some big ole dumb 20" wheels (I kinda like it, shhh, don't tell anyone)
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare tire holder when upgrading to 35's? 1634141718072
Sponsored