Sponsored

Spare Tire - hang on tailgate or go the bumper with tire hanger route?

booradley

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
getting 35's and a lift this week...

but having to install a new tire carrier on the tailgate to support the weight of the 35" spare tire.

but wondering what this forum would recommend...

and seeing bumper options with a swing away tire mount.

what's the pro's and con's of the tail gate versus the new bumper?

i'll be getting the bumper at some point any way.

would appreciate your thoughts.... thanks
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Is it a personal decision to mount a new carrier?
How much/how severe off roading do you plan on doing?

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
but having to install a new tire carrier on the tailgate to support the weight of the 35" spare tire.
The jury is still out on whether this is as much of a necessity as it was on the JK. The JL gate is much stronger than the JK and as long as you've got tailgate bumpstops that are flush up against the tire, you should be good for now. That isn't to say you shouldn't upgrade in the future, but people are using relocation brackets and slapping 37s on the stock carrier and the gate seems to be holding up pretty well so far.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 JT
Drop off a ledge and catch the tire on it, and you will wish you had one which was bumper mounted. If you wonā€™t take it off road, it probably wonā€™t matter.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Personally whatever option you decide on, make the tire carrier integrates with the rear gate as it will get real old real fast having to unlatch and open the tire carrier every time you want open the rear gate to access the back of your Jeep. Another issue that crops up with tire carriers that donā€™t integrate with the rear gate is the latching mechanisms will eventually fail. Iā€™ve got a buddy who was driving down the highway when he glanced out his passenger side mirror and saw his spare tire flapping in the wind.

I ran the TeraFlex HD tire carrier on my JK for 5 years and never had an issue with catching it on anything, though I did have it mounted on the highest setting. My profile pic will give you an idea of the steepest departure angle I was ever at with that set up.
Sponsored