Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

you can pull one of the rubber bumpers off your tailgate and take it to home depot with you to get the right size pvc pipe. the bumpers just twist and push back into place. they sell the pvc in 1 or 2' lengths (pre-cut). then go to hardware and grab some chair leg rubber feet. easy peasy. just did this yesterday on a friends jeep. i wrapped the pvc in electrical tape to hide the white pvc.

on his, we used the RC relo kit. i didnt even raise the brake light up at all. the tire fits fine. even bone stock, the 35 Patagonia fit but it was slightly rubbing on the bumper. plus i like to think the steel plate helps with strengthening some.
Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Awesome , thank you. I am between the Smittybuilt and the Rough Country. The smittybuilt only raises the tire 1.5 inches , which is nicer for visability. The RC is 2.25.
stay away from the Smittybilt. there were reviews that the welds were cracking. the reviews seemed to have been removed but they were there and then the price was slashed on those to get rid of them. the RC one is very stout.

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
@shekmark Not sure what your budget For this mod looks like but I can’t recommend the teraflex alpha Hd mount highly enough. It allows you to adjust the carrier to your specific tire size and wheel offset to the stock bumpers on the tailgate. And as added benefit of being adjustable, it will Still work if you change your tire/wheel combo down the road.

I originally had the smittybilt bracket but it pushed the tire too far off of the tailgate and vibrated too much for my liking. The teraflex setup lets you keep the tire as close to the gate and low as possible. Only downside to this setup is price. Its secure but a lot more expensive than other bracket options.

JeepersCreepers2

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
@shekmark Not sure what your budget For this mod looks like but I can’t recommend the teraflex alpha Hd mount highly enough. It allows you to adjust the carrier to your specific tire size and wheel offset to the stock bumpers on the tailgate. And as added benefit of being adjustable, it will Still work if you change your tire/wheel combo down the road.

I originally had the smittybilt bracket but it pushed the tire too far off of the tailgate and vibrated too much for my liking. The teraflex setup lets you keep the tire as close to the gate and low as possible. Only downside to this setup is price. Its secure but a lot more expensive than other bracket options.
I second this. Its a pretty nifty setup. I started with just a spacer but it made the camera look like a peephole because of the offset. Alpha carrier moved wheel closer to the frame and down along with fixing the camera issue

OP
OP
shekmark

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase

I will look into that. Thanks. How difficult is it to install?

Sponsored

OP
OP
shekmark

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase

That looks awesome. I just ordered it from Quadratec. Perfect. Thanks a lot for recommending. I was actually happy with price. I was expecting 6 or 7 hundred !

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
That looks awesome. I just ordered it from Quadratec. Perfect. Thanks a lot for recommending. I was actually happy with price. I was expecting 6 or 7 hundred !
Nice! I think you'll be really happy with it. For me install was almost easier than the bracket because you only have one set of fasteners to deal with.

From what I remember the instructions were good and straight forward. There's a little guess and check involved with getting the adjustments dialed in but that's about it.

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the RC relocation bracket for the spare tire, I am running 35" K02's w/ Method MR312 wheels and just going off factory spec puts weight around 65ish pounds and I have read the tailgate can handle up to 85lbs. Is it me or does the tailgate feel heavy? Should I be concerned or just upgrade to something like the EVO?
Sponsored