Sponsored

Spare tire delete on daily driver

Vawildjeep

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2 1/2” stage 2 Icon lift 37” Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 20” Fuel Beasts.
Occupation
Business owner
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is mounted so high I can’t see anything over it.

DFEFEBA0-54BD-4740-8FFC-E4A617A5685C.jpeg
7C5670DF-1AEB-4CAB-B8B8-89759AC51945.jpeg
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I like the "clean" look of the Spare Delete, when you're talking oversize, heavy tires. That is a lot of weight back there..
On stock size, I like the Spare as a shock absorber if rear -ended. That's more likely than a flat, which I can plug, if not on the sidewall.
For those big diameter tires, could you have the same diameter, but a skinny width, as a spare? Save weight, improve overhang, still have security of a spare..??

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Personally, I don't think you will see any added driveability by removing the spare from the rear.

However, if you like the look, go for it. I just hope you don't get a flat trying to escape a flood or volcano eruption. I've seen YouTube videos lol. In most circumstances, especially with a tough AT/MT, you are very unlikely to get a flat unless you piss someone off.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Personally, I don't think you will see any added driveability by removing the spare from the rear.

However, if you like the look, go for it. I just hope you don't get a flat trying to escape a flood or volcano eruption. I've seen YouTube videos lol. In most circumstances, especially with a tough AT/MT, you are very unlikely to get a flat unless you piss someone off.
I gave it a shot and decided that I'd rather run with a spare.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...e-tire-delete-and-license-plate-lights.31855/

(Shameless plug?)

I did notice the weight loss in acceleration, but it was very minor and not noticed after a couple of days. My mileage did pickup another half mile per gallon if that's what you are looking for. I thought it made sense to wheel with the spare lower in the trunk and not hanging out back to be hit by a ledge in a drop, but I don't want to loose the trunk space and I will just be careful on my drops. Maybe pickup one of those trailer hitch stingers?

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Im running the Artec spare tire delete plate. I ran a spare tire delete on my LJ as well. But, I do have a relocation bracket that Ill probably eventually install. Reason being, I have a two week old daughter that Ill have in the car with me and I dont want to be left without a spare on road trips. Around town and by myself, Id 100% keep the spare delete.

Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I actually like the look with no spare. Not sure if run flats come in AT tires or not. But i cant remember the last time i actually had a flat tire, probably 2001 and it was in my driveway. My stock sahara tire is 68lbs, some of the aftermarket setups you guys run have to be close to 100lbs. That much weight will for sure be noticed in overall performance.

Digger70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Spares on the road are so 1980. When we had 2 ply tires ran them till they were bald, that’s when I had a flat. In 25 years, at least, the only flat I’ve had is in my driveway in the morning - due to a roofer nail or something. I air up and go get it patched.

Off-road, I carry plugs and compressor and spare in cargo area. If I were in Oahu, wouldn’t carry one either.

A9BD374D-B4DC-4CE1-AD6E-E3B39734477C.jpeg
What tailgate plate is that? I've never seen it before. I'm looking for one that is plug and play since I have no wiring experience. The Cavfab has a plug 'n play harness for $55 extra

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
If I go offloading, twice a year, I throw the spare in the cargo area, throw a board on it and load it up.

Automobiles seldom get flats in every day use and there is AAA for that. I'm not changing I tire on the side of the highway with folks zooming by at 70mph. When is the last time any of you have seen that ...

Peck1234

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S 2 Door
Does anyone make a relocation package for the trunk for the spare tire? I have a two door with no rear seats and would definitely consider just throwing the tire back there but I feel like it needs to be on some kind of bracket.

Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
I’m making a bracket for my 2 door to mount the spare inside in the right rear corner. I’m also going with a smaller rim and tire like a hide away spare kinda.

eumylove

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Mine is mounted so high I can’t see anything over it.

DFEFEBA0-54BD-4740-8FFC-E4A617A5685C.jpeg
7C5670DF-1AEB-4CAB-B8B8-89759AC51945.jpeg
Which mount are you using? I see you have park assist sensors, does the 37" tires interfere with your setup?

Deleted member 23917

My JL rolled slowly back into a tree. Stupid mistake by me.
The spare tire hit the tree, which immediately bent the aluminum door which then smashed out the glass. $7000 damage.
If I had deleted the spare, my steel bumper would have just bumped the tree with no damage.
Just something else to think about as it will be the same issue with a light rear end collision in traffic.

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
Huh! I didn't know spare tire delete was even a thing. I can't imagine doing that. I've killed plenty of tires out here.
Sponsored