FinallyaWillys

FinallyaWillys

First Name
Debbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Willys
Thank you - I am aware of the camera - but that Peace Out Sasquatch cover is just meant for me

OP
OP
FinallyaWillys

FinallyaWillys

First Name
Debbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Willys
That is actually funny - had not thought about protection from the elements, though - just thought that Peace Out Sasquatch cover was BADASS

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Sorry Debbie. I wasn't paying attention. I meant to say "that-girl".

G.😂

Sponsored

swavescatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
Hmmm.... a spare tire to protect from UV breakdown... 🤔
Probably ought to cover the other four as well then. 😉
Well if you drive your vehicle often, most of us wear tires out before their 5 year rated lifespan. If you replace your tires, many of us leave a well worn tire on the spare to save $400 and only purchase 4 new tires.

So yes, all tires should be covered or stored indoors if you're planning to get more than 5 years out of them safely. Many of us roll the dice on the spare though since it'll only be used in a pinch...

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Respectfully disagree Swavescatter. I would suggest 5 tire rotation every 5k and always buy 5.

G.

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
A nice cover that would work on a 35" spare with the camera would be great IMO. Doesn't look as cool, but will keep your tire out of the sun and extend the useful life due to protection from UV breakdown...

Function over form.
ran a cover for a couple of years on my 2013 JK. Did 5 tire rotations regularly and noticed zero difference in tire wear from when I used a cover to after I stopped using one. What prolongs the life of the tires is regular 5 tire rotations.

swavescatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
ran a cover for a couple of years on my 2013 JK. Did 5 tire rotations regularly and noticed zero difference in tire wear from when I used a cover to after I stopped using one. What prolongs the life of the tires is regular 5 tire rotations.
I'm not implying that the sun wears down the tread. It's UV radiation that bakes tires and contributes to them dry rotting. Depends on where you live but in the desert southwest the sun really does a number on cars.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...n-mind-that-tires-age-and-not-like-fine-wine/

I always run a reflective windshield visor to protect the dash/interior...

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Well, here I am...searching the forum to see how common of a problem this is :LOL: :crying:
Still pretty rare, unless you live in some kind of urban hellscape and have to park outside at night.

Sidewalk

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Still pretty rare, unless you live in some kind of urban hellscape and have to park outside at night.
Live in a decent apartment complex with cameras pointed right at the Jeep, in a decent neighborhood. Still happened.

Jiggs1960

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2022 Chevy Colorado
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm.... a spare tire to protect from UV breakdown... 🤔
Probably ought to cover the other four as well then. 😉
maybe just Duck-Tape on the outter surface of them....I hear they offer some really interesting colors now..🤔🤔🤔😜

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Live in a decent apartment complex with cameras pointed right at the Jeep, in a decent neighborhood. Still happened.
Yep, from experience, cameras don't stop experienced thieves. They don't care one bit about them. Just like locks, they keep honest people honest. And in those cities and counties where they don't even prosecute thefts under $1k, it only makes things worse. Even if the police ID's the suspect and made a case on him, the DA in those counties wouldn't even move to prosecute it.

Maybe put 3 locking lugs on the spare. It would make random theft much harder, but a pro with the right socket doesn't worry about wheel locks. A lot of criminals steel wheels and tires all night and sell them to tire shops the next day. (Not Discount but those ones painted yellow, you know the ones.) But those shops would rather have sets of 4 or 5, then random ones. GM trucks and Rams with 22" wheels get hit the hardest. Jeeps are way down the list.
Sponsored