Sponsored

Spare Tire Cover - Yay or Nay

It’s cool to have a spare tire cover on your rig?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KJKWillys

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Granite Crystal Willys - 6 Speed Manual
I see a lot of Wranglers driving around in my area with spare tire covers. Not so much in the pictures I see on this Forum. I’m currently waiting on my JLU to ship and it’s my first one ever. So is having a spare tire cover a no-no for ‘real’ Wrangler owners? If yes, why?
Sponsored

Sarge50

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins 2008 Mazdaspeed3
Protects Spare from UV Damage.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I am a no. Don't like the look of it covered and because I rotate my spare onto the Jeep every 7500 miles so it would be a pain to deal with.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Protects Spare from UV Damage.
But your other tires aren't protected and you should be rotating the spare with them regularly, so... UV protection isn't all that essential.

@KJKWillys
Your local area is CT. The mall crawler capitol of the world. So keep it in perspective.

That said, I wouldn't necessarily say it's a no no (angry grills have monopolized that). Just a rather mall crawlery thing to do. And don't forget the JL's rear view camera is in the center of the spare.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I don't think it's a forceful no (like angry grills and such are), but rather just an unnecessary thing, for most. It's probably going to cost ~$50-100 for a good one that will handle the elements and have a cool design, and that's $50-100 that I can better spend in a million and one ways on my Jeep.

SnowyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport S
'No' from me, though I don't have strong feelings about them.

Although now that I think about it, my winter tire wheels don't match my spare (which matches my summer set). Perhaps I should get a cover for the winter months... 🤔

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
To me it says that the owner was likely too cheap/frugal to buy the matching spare wheel and tire. Plus, it's a dated look like chrome tube bumper and chrome grilles.

Deleted member 59498

I asked the salesmen if they wanted to keep the ugly one with their name on it before I took delivery. He admitted it was kind of sloppy looking and ugly.

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
As far as the general idea of a spare tire cover goes, I don't have strong feelings either way. I've seen some I really liked, and others that looked awful. I think it depends on how it fits with the rest of the Jeep.

I have a color matched rigid one with topographic lines on it from Boomerang, because I'm a nerd geologist...and topo lines. I go back and forth on keeping it on, though. I'd say I'm about 60/40, off/on.

It definitely changes the overall look/feel of my Wrangler.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
'No' from me, though I don't have strong feelings about them.

Although now that I think about it, my winter tire wheels don't match my spare (which matches my summer set). Perhaps I should get a cover for the winter months... 🤔
Yes!!! My OCD doesn't allow me to see a spare on a tailgate that doesn't match without being annoyed. My buddy has one, and I'm thinking of buying him a cover just so I don't have to look at the nonmatching spare anymore.

Ed Pursell

First Name
-Ed-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys- 3.6 Pentastar,8 speed Auto, Selec-Trac transfer case
Occupation
Supervisor- MRO Buyer Maintenance- Pet food Mfg.
Not my first Wrangler, just an fyi. Nothing wrong with them, but I found out they do collect moisture, wet leaves, etc.. Also, I do a faithful 5 tire rotation appx. every 4,000 miles so really to me it‘s just a collection of my above. Honest, when I wash the Wrangler, it’s a lot easier to do the “spare” without the cover. Since I rotate, It’s just didn’t make sense
for me. Just my opinion. But if you do cover, remove it and let it dry out, clean the debris that collects under the cover and on the wheel/tire.
Sponsored