Spare tire cover installation

CoughenPower

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Hello. I just got my first Jeep ever this week and I am so excited! I have a question regarding the spare tire cover. I live in upstate NY and it has been snowing A LOT here. Should I wait until all the moisture from the snow drys before installing the tire cover? Should I also wash the car to make sure to get off any salt or minerals off the spare? I don't mean to be extra I just want to make sure I don't damage the spare tire by trapping in moisture or something. Thanks! So excited to be part of the Wrangler family!
Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Personally I would say to wash the vehicle to get the salt off of it prior to covering it. Many people run theirs, including me without a cover. So if you are concerning about that, you can keep it clean until spring once the salt and stuff is past and cover it.

and btw.... welcome aboard!!!!! This is my first Wrangler also. Had been planning it for a couple years. Took delivery last September. Cannot wait for the weather to turn for some more comfortable open air driving.

enjoy!!!!!

OP
OP
CoughenPower

CoughenPower

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the input! And congrats on your first Wrangler too. I can't wait for nice weather and to take the hard top off!

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Leave it open. Covers will always trap moisture and salt in the winter, and mud and dirt when off-roading your Jeep. And use the spare. Include it in your tire rotations (5 tire rotation). It'll make all of your tires last 25% longer, and if you do decide to change or upgrade somewhere down the line, you're not going to get any extra $$$ for that spare that "never touched the ground".

OP
OP
CoughenPower

CoughenPower

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Dave! I will definitely keep it in the rotation. I didn't even know that was an option. Do you think the salt and moisture on the uncovered tire will wear the tire out quicker than having it covered? At least once the weather breaks

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
If you have to leave your JEEP out all the time, there's nothing wrong with covering your spare, but-

You should still include the spare in your 5 TIRE ROTATION !

Wash the jeep as suggested and make sure the SPARE COVER has a VISION HOLE for the REARVIEW CAMERA, that will also allow the cover to "BREATH" !

Sawmillllakejune12022.jpg

Good luck

JIMBO

OP
OP
CoughenPower

CoughenPower

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Jimbo. I did make sure to get a spare tire cover with rearview camera hole. I will be sure to do a 5 tire rotation- something new! BTW I love your spare tire cover!

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
Thanks Jimbo. I did make sure to get a spare tire cover with rearview camera hole. I will be sure to do a 5 tire rotation- something new! BTW I love your spare tire cover!
Heh Heh, thanx coughenpower-

JIMBO

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thanks Dave! I will definitely keep it in the rotation. I didn't even know that was an option. Do you think the salt and moisture on the uncovered tire will wear the tire out quicker than having it covered? At least once the weather breaks
Uncovered, any moisture will simply evaporate, and it's easy to wash when you clean the rest of your Jeep. No taking a cover off, waiting for it to dry, then putting it back on.

If you were in Arizona, and parked your Jeep outside in the sun all of the time, there may be some concern with UV light damaging the tire over time, but if you're rotating them at the proper intervals, you'd likely wear the tires out before they became sun damaged. Remember, only one of the 5 tires is ever sitting there fully exposed, and only for 25% of the time vs. just leaving one out there permanently.
In upstate NY, that's not even an issue.
Especially if by upstate you mean Plattsburgh... Not White Plains... LOL

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
I waited until it was warmer and dry before installing. They are tight fits so it seemed to stretch better in a warm garage or warm weather. don’t forget to remove the camera cover when you
go to install.
Big yes on the 5 tire rotation!

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
That's a good point--spare tire coves are usually HEAVY VINYL, so if you can leave it in the sun(direct) for at least 1/2 hour, or in the warmest room in house, then QUICKLY try the force fit over your spare and it'll be a LOT EASIER- !

Good luck

JIMBO

OP
OP
CoughenPower

CoughenPower

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Uncovered, any moisture will simply evaporate, and it's easy to wash when you clean the rest of your Jeep. No taking a cover off, waiting for it to dry, then putting it back on.

If you were in Arizona, and parked your Jeep outside in the sun all of the time, there may be some concern with UV light damaging the tire over time, but if you're rotating them at the proper intervals, you'd likely wear the tires out before they became sun damaged. Remember, only one of the 5 tires is ever sitting there fully exposed, and only for 25% of the time vs. just leaving one out there permanently.
In upstate NY, that's not even an issue.
Especially if by upstate you mean Plattsburgh... Not White Plains... LOL
Haha no not white plains- Real upstate. I would have guessed by your comment you were a true upstate New Yorker! I find it hilarious when people an hour north of Manhattan consider themselves "upstate".

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Keep in mind that with the cover on it will be difficult for doing a 5 tire rotation.
I figure I’ll take the cover off prior to having it done since in would be unfair to make them
try to stretch the cover back on straightly
Sponsored