P&PJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Can anyone recommend a spare tire carrier for a JL? Planning on running 35 or 37 inch tires, when the budget allows.
Sponsored

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
Can anyone recommend a spare tire carrier for a JL? Planning on running 35 or 37 inch tires, when the budget allows.
I’m running the Motobilt carrier. The carrier is well made, I’ve had no issues with it. Currently running 35’s but I’m stepping up to 37’s later this year.

OP
OP
P&PJeep

P&PJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I’m running the Motobilt carrier. The carrier is well made, I’ve had no issues with it. Currently running 35’s but I’m stepping up to 37’s later this year.
Thanks,

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
You basically have three choices:

- Do nothing. Some claim this works, but I don't.
- "Reinforcement" kits, like the Motobilt that was suggested. These work, with plenty of versions available
- Frame/bumper mounted, like my AEV (frame mount). These are the best (and most expensive) solution.

On the reinforcement kits, many don't like the Mopar option because it doesn't strengthen the hinges. On JKs, at least, the hinges NEVER broke; it was always the rivets in the tailgate itself. The reinforcement kits strengthen this area.

All of the third category currently require you to buy a complimenting rear bumper. The AEV solution (out for the JL in a few months) will mount to the frame via a 3" hole drilled in the stock Jeep bumper.

Last edited:

mshields

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
I’ve been running the Evo carrier for a few months and I’m very happy with it. Solid and never a hint of rattle. I’m running a 37x13.5x17 so it’s a pretty heavy spare.
1F8E2940-644D-41BC-A8D3-4B320F479298.png

Sponsored

MrEMan1287

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sahara 2.0t
I ordered the Smittybilt HD Pivot Tire Carrier. Was supposed to have arrived already, but unfortunately hasn't. I have Smittybilt bumpers, but I don't think it's necessary to have a smittybilt bumper to use this tire carrier.

This tire carrier is more like a reinforcement kit, rather than a frame mounted one.

My tire wheel combo is pushing just north of 100lbs and I can feel how heavy it pulls on the back door. I've been planning to get the Smittybilt carrier all along to help alleviate that weight.

Hopefully it arrives soon and I'll have answers for everyone.

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
Check out the @CavFab_mfg carrier. It's very good. I recently took mine off, but that is no fault of CavFab. My powdercoater is an incompetent fool. It was rusting pretty bad after a couple of months. I guess that's the only negative about this one is they offer no coating options. You have to source that yourself or DIY it.

bkjolly

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 CJ-5
Rusty's has the most versatile carrier. You can change the lug pattern and it'll carry a 40 inch tire.

OP
OP
P&PJeep

P&PJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Rusty's has the most versatile carrier. You can change the lug pattern and it'll carry a 40 inch tire.
Do you need to add holes in the tailgate?

Sponsored

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Rusty’s for sure. Reinforces the hinges on the body side with an extra plate. Provisions for camera and 3rd brake light that don’t require they be removed when changing spare. Excellent ecoat and powder coat.

I had the evo first. Sent it back due to rusting within two weeks of ownership.

A8715AF0-FDC2-43F2-B215-92310DF06153.jpeg

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
C27BFEE8-1178-47A2-9FB0-B87CA8672C07.jpeg

Motobilt is the tire carrier you want and need. It’s bilt like a tank and is adjustable up and down to mount larger tires. I have a 37” tire mounted here on its lowest setting so it sits lower and doesn’t obstruct the view out the back as much and keeps the weight low as well.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Following. Great posts.

MEGAS

First Name
Megas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Teraflex for a solid engineered carrier that has mounting options for Hi-Lift, Rotopax, Antennas etc. Rugged Ridge for a budget version. Installed both without issues