MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf, 2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Probably to early for this in the aftermarket but has anyone come across replacement rubber bump stops for the spare tire carrier? With the rim and tire combo I have the spare tire sits about 1" clear of the stock rubber bump stops. There is one on each side of the carrier. I'm not sure they do anything useful and only just noticed it, but now that I've seen it my OCD is kicking in.

They look like the just are held on by rubber grommet inserts into holes in the tail gate so would be a snap to replace. They do look like they might help control vibration on rough roads.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MacBigButt

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good point.... you can see the driver side on just below the cable. Bottom third of the picture.
H35cuebFTf2SggDDOWhD8w.jpg

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
A bit different but on one of my TJs i was able to put a Nylon spacer and a longer bolt between the tailgate and the rubber bumper to space it out. Since its just a hole they have those rubber type nutserts that you could put into the hole and then thread the bolt into there.....Something like that.

OP
OP
MacBigButt

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
You can spend $20 and buy these: https://www.quadratec.com/products/16053_520.html

Or.. go to Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware and but a chair leg rubber tip. Get black. Will plug right into existing hole in the rubber bumper stop on Wrangler.....fills that gap nicely/completely. Actually looks decent too and does the job well....seriously it does... Cost is a buck or so each. Do NOT drive around with that gap as it is. You are asking for damage.

Note: Depending on the gap you need to fill you can cut/use a piece of rigid tubular plastic/pvc of the right diameter between the 2 rubber pieces. When you tighten the spare down it holds/compressed things together....

6J568_AS01.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
MacBigButt

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What size tire is that? Can 35x12.50r20 mount on the spare ok?
It is a 285/75r17 Nitto RidgeGrappler on a Mickey Thompson SideBiter II 17"x9" -12 Offset.

If the rim you are looking at is 9" wide with -12 offset (i.e. 4.5" backspace) my seat of the pants guess is that it would be Ok.

To be honest it's all a bit experimental there just isn't enough experience.

Skoenig82

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler jl
It is a 285/75r17 Nitto RidgeGrappler on a Mickey Thompson SideBiter II 17"x9" -12 Offset.

If the rim you are looking at is 9" wide with -12 offset (i.e. 4.5" backspace) my seat of the pants guess is that it would be Ok.

To be honest it's all a bit experimental there just isn't enough experience.
thanks!
Sponsored