Sponsored

Spare tire carrier reinforcement with 35s?

B-man

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Does anyone have experience with the stock spare tire carrier and a 35 spare tire? Have you had any problems with damage to the hinges?

Thanks,

Brett
Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I ran a 35 all summer last year with no issues through a bunch of trails (mostly all rock crawling). I went through an uphill rock garden that was very steep and loose and I didn't want to stall because it would have been a crappy situation...so I hammered down lol. After nothing broke there I knew it would be fine.

The way the tailgate is connected to the sub frame is much stronger than the JK design.

Now I run a 37 and am not super worried. I will be getting the Ace Engineering tire carrier system because I like the ability to carrier a few rotopax.

Biggest thing you should watch out for would be catching an edge with the bottom of your tire..you'll for sure do some tailgate damage.

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Does anyone have experience with the stock spare tire carrier and a 35 spare tire? Have you had any problems with damage to the hinges?

Thanks,

Brett
No issues at all my friend..

Keep spare at 25psi to avoid it rubbing on the rear bumper when closing. Although a small amount of contact helps hold the tires weight.

The tailgate was built to hold a 35 no modification needed stock

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I've been running my 35" HANKOOK DYNAPRO ON MY JLR STOCK SPARE CARRIER and I keep it at 30psi and it rests in the bumper, that will take most of the "DOWN FORCE STRESS" off the tailgate !

W.E.

JIMBO

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Good to know, I plan on running a 35 inch tire in the future, glad I dont have to upgrade anything on the tailgate

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Don't forget !!!--if you use aftermkt wheels, with LESS BACKSPACE--

You're gonna have to make sure the TAILGATE SPARE TIRE BUMPSTOPS, contact the new wheels--

Good luck

JIMBO

OP
OP

B-man

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Thanks for the replies. That is great news!

I’m considering getting an LOD spare tire riser to raise it up a few inches (the current spare 33 inch spare tire is triggering the parking sensors) - so I’m thinking it could help with this issue and then also allow for a 35 in the future without the reinforcement (and hopefully still not triggering the parking sensors)

FDXGUY

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I just got new wheels and 35’s this week. I went out yesterday afternoon in the desert for the first time and the tailgate is pulled out about 1/4 inch and sagging about 1/8th inch and has to be lifted to close. For those that haven’t had an issue, you’re lucky. I found out today the tailgate is only rated for 85lbs. Now I’m researching options for tailgate reinforcement or tire carrier options.

ArchAngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I just got new wheels and 35’s this week. I went out yesterday afternoon in the desert for the first time and the tailgate is pulled out about 1/4 inch and sagging about 1/8th inch and has to be lifted to close. For those that haven’t had an issue, you’re lucky. I found out today the tailgate is only rated for 85lbs. Now I’m researching options for tailgate reinforcement or tire carrier options.
Sorry you’re having trouble with this. How heavy is your tire/wheel combination?