Sponsored

Spare Tire Carrier / Reinforcement recommendations?

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
I have had good luck with the aluminum/steel spare tire carrier by Undercover Fab Works.
top photo from UCF website.....My version is a little different (2nd photo below) before painting. I needed an eight lug pattern. This carrier set up is much lighter than other spare tire carriers due to 1/4" 6061-T651 aluminum reinforcement brackets which sandwich the tailgate on the front and rear.

Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Carrier / Reinforcement recommendations? 1639870794176

Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Carrier / Reinforcement recommendations? 1639871298437
Sponsored

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392
I looked at:
Rusty's
Ace Engineering
Maximus
CavFab
Terraflex

I thought all of the above looked like pretty well designed solutions, maybe just down to what your personal objectives are. I hadn't seen the Undercover Fabworks one above, but it looks like another good option. My short list went down to the CavFab & the Terraflex and I ended up choosing the Terraflex design after looking at the labor and cost involved with de-burring edges and getting powdercoat applied. Some general things I liked about the Terraflex design:

Weight - the main frame is an aluminum casting
Corrosion - fully protected inside and out
Built-in drilled and tapped auxiliary hard points to mount jack, fuel, antenna, shovel, etc.
Works with either type rear camera design and accommodates the OEM center brake light
No cutting or drilling & totally reversible

The downside of is arguably cost.

I installed it this week, the instructions and accompanying video were spot-on, and when I shut the tailgate it feels like I'm slamming the door of an M1 Abrams - solid as a rock. No alignment or adjustment issues. Currently set up for 35's, but will accommodate up to 40's.

Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Carrier / Reinforcement recommendations? IMG_2371.JPG

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I looked at:
Rusty's
Ace Engineering
Maximus
CavFab
Terraflex

I thought all of the above looked like pretty well designed solutions, maybe just down to what your personal objectives are. I hadn't seen the Undercover Fabworks one above, but it looks like another good option. My short list went down to the CavFab & the Terraflex and I ended up choosing the Terraflex design after looking at the labor and cost involved with de-burring edges and getting powdercoat applied. Some general things I liked about the Terraflex design:

Weight - the main frame is an aluminum casting
Corrosion - fully protected inside and out
Built-in drilled and tapped auxiliary hard points to mount jack, fuel, antenna, shovel, etc.
Works with either type rear camera design and accommodates the OEM center brake light
No cutting or drilling & totally reversible

The downside of is arguably cost.

I installed it this week, the instructions and accompanying video were spot-on, and when I shut the tailgate it feels like I'm slamming the door of an M1 Abrams - solid as a rock. No alignment or adjustment issues. Currently set up for 35's, but will accommodate up to 40's.

Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Carrier / Reinforcement recommendations? IMG_2371.JPG
Looks great! I like the teraflex one, i do remember it Seemed like it cost an arm and a leg more than other options. Of course prep and paint is going to be an additional cost with the cavfab, and i want a stock camera mount so i would need to get the LOD camera relocation. I will look at the teraflex again, and haven’t looked at the others you mentioned. Any rattling at all?

@CarbonSteel
I reached out to cavfab and they said:
”
You can use the stock bumper mounted license plate mount..however the factory camera mount has to be removed when installing our carrier.

You will also have a blank plate mount inside the spare wheel if you choose to not run your plate there.
”
The LOD relocation just pops on there like normal I’m assuming? No modifying when you added it to the set up?

@JEEP4U

I haven’t seen those. Do you have any rattling? Anything that you have noticed good and bad so far?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
@CarbonSteel
I reached out to cavfab and they said:
”
You can use the stock bumper mounted license plate mount..however the factory camera mount has to be removed when installing our carrier.

You will also have a blank plate mount inside the spare wheel if you choose to not run your plate there.
”
The LOD relocation just pops on there like normal I’m assuming? No modifying when you added it to the set up?
I suppose if you do not relocate the license plate and do not use the LOD camera relocation (or similar) then I guess there would be an empty space.

The LOD is a cylinder of steel that has a back welded nut on the rear plate of the cylinder. You simply need a bolt and a large fender washer (to compensate for the large hole in the CavFab tire mount). Insert the bolt into the backside of the CavFab and screw it into the LOD (after mounting the camera in it) and tighten.

It is a super clean and functional install. TBT - the license plate and brake light relocation on most of these looks and functions cheesy as hell--AND they have to be removed to remove the spare. The setup I did means that I have to remove nothing other than the 3 lug nuts, to remove/install my spare. I do not think it is a good idea to have to disconnect and reconnect the camera when messing with the spare. I opted for the LED brake light ring behind the tire, but I have some thoughts about taking the OEM brake light and "legs" and bolting them into a bracket to mount on the CavFab to give it the complete OEM look (but that is a warmer weather project).

The CavFab is solid, I have tried to move it and the entire Jeep moves with no play whatsoever in the CavFab. I think that @Headbarcode and a few buddies hung on his and tried to flex it and it would not move.

For me, the CavFab was my go to after seeing Headbarcode's. Teraflex was dealing with production issues when I started looking and I was not prepared to wait and the CavFab is every bit as good as the Teraflex.

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I suppose if you do not relocate the license plate and do not use the LOD camera relocation (or similar) then I guess there would be an empty space.

The LOD is a cylinder of steel that has a back welded nut on the rear plate of the cylinder. You simply need a bolt and a large fender washer (to compensate for the large hole in the CavFab tire mount). Insert the bolt into the backside of the CavFab and screw it into the LOD (after mounting the camera in it) and tighten.

It is a super clean and functional install. TBT - the license plate and brake light relocation on most of these looks and functions cheesy as hell--AND they have to be removed to remove the spare. The setup I did means that I have to remove nothing other than the 3 lug nuts, to remove/install my spare. I do not think it is a good idea to have to disconnect and reconnect the camera when messing with the spare. I opted for the LED brake light ring behind the tire, but I have some thoughts about taking the OEM brake light and "legs" and bolting them into a bracket to mount on the CavFab to give it the complete OEM look (but that is a warmer weather project).

The CavFab is solid, I have tried to move it and the entire Jeep moves with no play whatsoever in the CavFab. I think that @Headbarcode and a few buddies hung on his and tried to flex it and it would not move.

For me, the CavFab was my go to after seeing Headbarcode's. Teraflex was dealing with production issues when I started looking and I was not prepared to wait and the CavFab is every bit as good as the Teraflex.
Thank you! I really think Cavfab is the best option with the LOD relocation kit. i currently run a third brake light ring, so I’m glad you are able to use it on yours. I am going to have to track down a good powder coating shop near me, that will be my least favorite expense.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! I really think Cavfab is the best option with the LOD relocation kit. i currently run a third brake light ring, so I’m glad you are able to use it on yours. I am going to have to track down a good powder coating shop near me, that will be my least favorite expense.
It is worth it though---buy once and cry once. I wish I would have bought the CavFab at the start instead of the Mopar reinforcement and tire relocation kit (which I had to re-do in stainless steel after the studs started pulling out).

The only thing that I want to do is to re-powder coat the "CavFab" tag in red to match the trim on the bumpers and make it stand out a little.

The third light ring I bought was "plug and play" so that I did not have to splice any connections. @rustyshakelford installed it and did a great job.

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I did a ton of research and ended up with Cavfab. The price, the reviews, the easy install, everything added up to it being the correct carrier for me. Another thing is they offer a camera mount that fits my 2021 Camera which is different from the 2018-2020. (I've also heard its different whether you have a front camera or not)

Its at Powder coat now which at first I thought was an annoying hurdle but now I have a great relationship with a local powder coat shop for future needs.

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I did a ton of research and ended up with Cavfab. The price, the reviews, the easy install, everything added up to it being the correct carrier for me. Another thing is they offer a camera mount that fits my 2021 Camera which is different from the 2018-2020. (I've also heard its different whether you have a front camera or not)

Its at Powder coat now which at first I thought was an annoying hurdle but now I have a great relationship with a local powder coat shop for future needs.
I am very interested in the Cavfab, i need to find a powder coateR near me, i just dont like the extra cost of needing a relocation for the camera in order to not have an empty space.

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
I have a 40" 8x6.5 wheel/tire combo hanging off of the modified UnderCover Fab Works. The wheel tire is tucked in close to the tailgate/tub........No rattles or excesive movement.

UCF tire carrier was designed for a 37-38 tire / 17+ wheel with plus or minus 12mm offset.

I modified it for a 40" tire / 20" - 8 x 6.5 BP wheel with zero offset.

License plate /camera relocation kit - Motobuilt

Added benefit - lightweight option

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
I went to 35s about 8 months ago. In the last month especially, I have a lot of creaking and noise from the tailgate. I think it's probably time to stop rolling the dice without reinforcement. For those with CavFab and Rusty's: how long is self-install? . I am am handy, but am in no way an expert taking cars apart.
Did you extend the rubber tire supports? We are running 35's on JLUR with the Mopar tailgate reinforcement bracket from the factory. I added two of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y75VWW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and we have had no issues.

Sponsored

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Did you extend the rubber tire supports? We are running 35's on JLUR with the Mopar tailgate reinforcement bracket from the factory. I added two of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y75VWW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and we have had no issues.
I did extend the supports. The mopar reinforcement doesn’t appear to support the hinges to the frame but add a thicker support to the hinge mount to the tailgate. I have a 108+ setup and I want to be sure im not going to sag, or cause damage to the tub.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
It is worth it though---buy once and cry once. I wish I would have bought the CavFab at the start instead of the Mopar reinforcement and tire relocation kit (which I had to re-do in stainless steel after the studs started pulling out).

The only thing that I want to do is to re-powder coat the "CavFab" tag in red to match the trim on the bumpers and make it stand out a little.

The third light ring I bought was "plug and play" so that I did not have to splice any connections. @rustyshakelford installed it and did a great job.
That little pop of color is nice. I did the same Rubicon red tow hook match on the Cavfab logos on the carrier and bumper.
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Carrier / Reinforcement recommendations? 20210117_135535
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Carrier / Reinforcement recommendations? 20210716_152826

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That little pop of color is nice. I did the same Rubicon red tow hook match on the Cavfab logos on the carrier and bumper.
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Carrier / Reinforcement recommendations? 20210716_152826
Yep--there it is! @Headbarcode - where did you get it coated and do they accept non-local orders? I have moved and lost access to my coating company. Your coating company matched the Rubicon tow hook color and texture perfectly.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

One of the number of things that drew me to CavFab over the others, is their use of Oilite Bronze hinge bushings. It's a wonderful material that has a high wear rating in dirty environments where the use of grease would just collect grit and turn it into an abrasive paste.

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I am very interested in the Cavfab, i need to find a powder coateR near me, i just dont like the extra cost of needing a relocation for the camera in order to not have an empty space.

It comes with a camera mount. You don't need to spend the extra money.
Sponsored