Sponsored

Spare Tire Carrier / Reinforcement recommendations?

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I am in need of a tire carrier, or reinforcement for my new setup. The weight i am thinking is around 108 pounds and is definitely putting strain on the rear hinges. I was looking at CavFab but i have no interest in relocating my license plate to the tire. Any suggestions?
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have a CavFab and did not relocate my license plate. It is rock solid with no issues.

IMG_20211008_161939.jpg

IMG_20211008_161926.jpg

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I have a CavFab and did not relocate my license plate. It is rock solid with no issues.

Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Carrier / Reinforcement recommendations? IMG_20211008_161926

Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Carrier / Reinforcement recommendations? IMG_20211008_161926
Looks awesome! Was the install easy? I thought I had to relocate the license plate so when the sale came around i didnt pull the trigger because I was so confused with it lol. Did you have to do any drilling?

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
@CavFab do you all have any sales? I wanted to pick this up on BF but my nerves turned me away, didnt see it without relocating the license plate so i was a bit confused. Any drilling require also?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks awesome! Was the install easy? I thought I had to relocate the license plate so when the sale came around i didnt pull the trigger because I was so confused with it lol. Did you have to do any drilling?
The install is relatively straightforward with no drilling. Motobilt makes some shims (for their carrier) to be installed on the hinge side that allows you to more granularly adjust the height of the striker.

I installed a LOD Camera Relocation Kit (https://lodoffroad.com/products/2018-jl-rearview-camera-relocation-kit) which is rock solid, protects the camera, and does not require you to mess/remove anything when pulling the spare.

I also installed a new third brake light ring (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QFNKTCC) that was plug and play and required no cutting of wires.

Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I have a Rusty's reinforcement kit. I didn't drill for the extra bolts that can be used and it's fine.
For the license plate relocation I have a LOD bumper with the license plate relocation kit that places the plate just below the left tail light. It works very well for me. I know some don't like the plate there but it's equal to factory JK plate location.

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I have a Rusty's reinforcement kit. I didn't drill for the extra bolts that can be used and it's fine.
For the license plate relocation I have a LOD bumper with the license plate relocation kit that places the plate just below the left tail light. It works very well for me. I know some don't like the plate there but it's equal to factory JK plate location.
This. Get the Rusty’s. It’s awesome.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
The HD Hinge, and carrier that I have is the Teraflex. Real quality, and it does not rattle, like so many do.

Beaching631

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, Manual, 35" & Fuel Coverts
I went to 35s about 8 months ago. In the last month especially, I have a lot of creaking and noise from the tailgate. I think it's probably time to stop rolling the dice without reinforcement. For those with CavFab and Rusty's: how long is self-install? . I am am handy, but am in no way an expert taking cars apart.

Sponsored

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I went to 35s about 8 months ago. In the last month especially, I have a lot of creaking and noise from the tailgate. I think it's probably time to stop rolling the dice without reinforcement. For those with CavFab and Rusty's: how long is self-install? . I am am handy, but am in no way an expert taking cars apart.
I’m fairly handy but certainly no mechanic. It took me about 4 hours. It’s not a bad install but there is some nuance to get everything lined up. The directions were solid.

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
The install is relatively straightforward with no drilling. Motobilt makes some shims (for their carrier) to be installed on the hinge side that allows you to more granularly adjust the height of the striker.

I installed a LOD Camera Relocation Kit (https://lodoffroad.com/products/2018-jl-rearview-camera-relocation-kit) which is rock solid, protects the camera, and does not require you to mess/remove anything when pulling the spare.

I also installed a new third brake light ring (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QFNKTCC) that was plug and play and required no cutting of wires.
the cavfab carrier Works perfectly with the LOD relocation kit? Was there any modifications involved to install that kit on the carrier? Price of the carrier, plus kit, plus powder coating I’d imagine be far more than rustys.

Is there any rattling with either?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
the cavfab carrier Works perfectly with the LOD relocation kit? Was there any modifications involved to install that kit on the carrier? Price of the carrier, plus kit, plus powder coating I’d imagine be far more than rustys.

Is there any rattling with either?
It worked perfectly, just had to add a large washer to the mounting bolt and tighten.

Not sure if it is more or not, @CavFab_mfg stood head and shoulders above the rest from my perspective and since I did not have to relocate my license plate and with the LOD camera relocation kit I don't have to do anything to remove the spare, it was the way to go for me.

No rattles, this thing is a tank...

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
It worked perfectly, just had to add a large washer to the mounting bolt and tighten.

Not sure if it is more or not, @CavFab_mfg stood head and shoulders above the rest from my perspective and since I did not have to relocate my license plate and with the LOD camera relocation kit I don't have to do anything to remove the spare, it was the way to go for me.

No rattles, this thing is a tank...
I’m glad to Hear, i dont want to relocate anything. That is my biggest deal besides cost. Did you get yours powder coated

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m glad to Hear, i dont want to relocate anything. That is my biggest deal besides cost. Did you get yours powder coated
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Carrier / Reinforcement recommendations? -3201006270005731347
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare Tire Carrier / Reinforcement recommendations? 9042410651853367759
Sponsored