Spare tire carrier recommendation for 35” tire

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
35" tire, it comes down to plastic vs steel bumper. It will fit on a plastic bumper, on metal, it will catch the bumper.
Another thing to consider is that not all tires are the same height so it depends on the brand. OP mentioned a BFG which is one of the shortest 35s and would fit with the metal bumper.
Sponsored

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Short one raises tire 2.25 in, tall one 4.75 in ( for vehicles equipped with sensors according to them)
Yes then, short one.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I have the Teraflex Alpha HD spare carrier and there is a problem with it, or more accurately with relocating the OEM backup camera out of the OEM spare carrier.

There have been changes to the way the backup camera is mounted in the OEM spare carrier over the several JL model years. Teraflex's excellent design offers solutions for two versions, but neither solution works with how my 2022 JLR spare carrier was designed.

My 2022 JLR has the camera is imbedded in the plastic cone of the OEM spare carrier with no fasteners or visible ways of getting it out--though a Dremel would have it out quickly.
Are you sure its imbedded? I thought the same thing on my 21 because when I pushed the studs through, the camera stayed in and it looked like one solid piece. Come to find out, it is in fact 2 pieces. I took a large flat head and pushed on each of the 3 stud holes (theres a plastic washer) from the front side of the carrier. Once those 3 washers separated from the plastic the camera came right out.

Reactions: STW

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
Are you sure its imbedded? I thought the same thing on my 21 because when I pushed the studs through, the camera stayed in and it looked like one solid piece. Come to find out, it is in fact 2 pieces. I took a large flat head and pushed on each of the 3 stud holes (theres a plastic washer) from the front side of the carrier. Once those 3 washers separated from the plastic the camera came right out.
I'll definitely try that tonight. The stud plat is removed from the plastic cone OEM carrier and it doesn't look like it can be dis-assembled anymore than it is. but I will do some pushing and prying around the stud holes. thanks.

Go_Galt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I have the Teraflex Alpha HD spare carrier and there is a problem with it, or more accurately with relocating the OEM backup camera out of the OEM spare carrier.

There have been changes to the way the backup camera is mounted in the OEM spare carrier over the several JL model years. Teraflex's excellent design offers solutions for two versions, but neither solution works with how my 2022 JLR spare carrier was designed.

My 2022 JLR has the camera is imbedded in the plastic cone of the OEM spare carrier with no fasteners or visible ways of getting it out--though a Dremel would have it out quickly.

Teraflex is working on this, and have been responsive to me about the problem. But my 2022 JLR is without a backup camera until I resolve this. Was driving my TJ for 22 years with no backup camera, but I got kind of used to having it in the JLR for the four months before I installed the Teraflex Alpha HD.

I wasn't crazy about relocating the brake-light to the tire center, but once installed I noticed I had a bigger better view to the rear without the brake light over the tire. You wouldn't think a bit extra clearance matters, but it's noticeable.
Are you 100% sure?

I just did the Teraflax tailgate reinforcement and HD carrier a few weeks ago on a 2022 JLR and the camera unclipped from the stock housing with zero drama, and integrated with the new Teraflex housing just as easily.

I was actually struck by how the Teraflex carrier was the first piece of JL stuff I purchased that was actually engineered correctly, fit 100% correctly, and installed exactly as intended.

If you want help or pictures of my 2022 camera/ housing I can take some pictures this weekend. I strongly suspect you may just be missing something, because mine was super, super easy.

Reactions: STW

Sponsored

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thanks Tyer; I followed your suggestion and was able to hammer out the plastic washers at the stud holes which separated an inner plastic cone with the camera mount. Thanks for the reply and good info. I corrected my earlier post.

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you 100% sure?

I just did the Teraflax tailgate reinforcement and HD carrier a few weeks ago on a 2022 JLR and the camera unclipped from the stock housing with zero drama, and integrated with the new Teraflex housing just as easily.

I was actually struck by how the Teraflex carrier was the first piece of JL stuff I purchased that was actually engineered correctly, fit 100% correctly, and installed exactly as intended.

If you want help or pictures of my 2022 camera/ housing I can take some pictures this weekend. I strongly suspect you may just be missing something, because mine was super, super easy.
thanks Go_Galt; you're right I was missing how the two pieces come apart. Tyler's suggestion worked. Thanks for the reply and good info. I corrected my earlier post. I agree the Teraflex is well engineered--especially now that I see it's consistent with my OEM carrier. The Teraflex allows lots of height adjustment for various diameter tires to clear the bumper as well as front-rear adjustment; mine allowed me to press the spare straight up to the Teraflex Heavy Duty Tailigate Hinge so no rubber bumpers and tire is an inch or so closer to the tailgate.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Another thing to consider is that not all tires are the same height so it depends on the brand. OP mentioned a BFG which is one of the shortest 35s and would fit with the metal bumper.
Very good point, 35" tires, but saw some as small as 34 still be called 35". Nitto was true to size.

HiLow1Go

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
MP Concepts!
Some notes:
I ordered the tire relocation kit but did not use the “relocation” bar as I am using 35”s and holding off on the 37/38’s.
It fits perfectly and still used the stock bolts for the carrier.
I like how it came out.

Jeep Wrangler JL Spare tire carrier recommendation for 35” tire IMG_7121

Jeep Wrangler JL Spare tire carrier recommendation for 35” tire IMG_7122
Sponsored