Spare tire carrier recommendation for 35” tire

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Plastic or Steel bumper? There is a clearance difference. 35" did not fit on my metal bumper without letting all air out of tire and really slamming the tailgate extra extra hard.
Now steel bumper. The plastic one had more clearance. Steel not so much. The tire sits on the plastic part but It doesn’t bother me. If I go 37s then I definitely need a relocation kit.
Sponsored

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Looks like a quality piece, just don’t like the relocation of the brake light.
One thing to keep in mind is that the bigger the tire gets the more the visibility gets blocked above the tire. Relocating it to the center of the tire like TeraFlex does gives you some of that view space back above the tire.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
T
Now steel bumper. The plastic one had more clearance. Steel not so much. The tire sits on the plastic part but It doesn’t bother me. If I go 37s then I definitely need a relocation kit.
The conflicting reports on this defies reason and is driving me nuts. How could Jeeps built with the same parts have different clearances? Small or large 35’s, is there enough difference?

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
T

The conflicting reports on this defies reason and is driving me nuts. How could Jeeps built with the same parts have different clearances? Small or large 35’s, is there enough difference?
Small like almost all of the 35s which aren’t 35s. MT baja boss ATs measure 34”

1Evil55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport
I saved my money for gas instead. 35" no problem for the OEM.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
The Teraflex relocation bracket is a work of art. The Mopar bracket is basically a piece of plastic. No comparison.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
we recently installed the coils, shocks and sway bar links from a JLUR ER on my daughters JLU Sport and upgraded wheels staying with 17” and BFG 35” KO2’s. Looks and performs awesome. We attempted to mount the same wheel &tire to the spare and doesn't fit very well, so we removed it. she will not be driving this vehicle off-road and we are looking for a spare tire carrier solution that keeps the 3rd brake light above the tire (don’t want to relocate to the center of wheel). Seeing a lot of option, prices all over the map. Whats a good option for her considering she isn’t wheeling this vehicle off-road. I like the Mopar reinforcement and relocation kits but cost is over $600. Appreciate the recommendations.
For what its worth, 35" KO2's are light, you probably don't need any reinforcement. And you don't need to change anything to use the third brake light aside from adjusting the with the factory adjustments.

Mine has no reinforcement, a much heavier tire (79.6lbs Wildpeak MT, that KO2 weighs only 66.5lbs) and I used the RC relocator kit only because I wanted my rear sensors to not go crazy.

Jeep Wrangler JL Spare tire carrier recommendation for 35” tire

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For what its worth, 35" KO2's are light, you probably don't need any reinforcement. And you don't need to change anything to use the third brake light aside from adjusting the with the factory adjustments.

Mine has no reinforcement, a much heavier tire (79.6lbs Wildpeak MT, that KO2 weighs only 66.5lbs) and I used the RC relocator kit only because I wanted my rear sensors to not go crazy.

Jeep Wrangler JL Spare tire carrier recommendation for 35” tire
Looks like the short one? If so, confirmation of no sensor issues. “ The first duty of government is to protect the people, Not run their lives” nice poster,we could sure use him now!

Sponsored

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Not sure what you mean by 'short one' I can confirm zero sensors issues since adding it.

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
I have the Teraflex Alpha HD spare carrier. . . I wasn't crazy about relocating the brake-light to the tire center, but once installed I noticed I had a bigger better view to the rear without the brake light over the tire. You wouldn't think a bit extra clearance matters, but it's noticeable.

edited to remove wrong information I had in my original post. Thanks TylerV76 and Go_Galt for the correct information!

Last edited:

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure what you mean by 'short one' I can confirm zero sensors issues since adding it.
Short one raises tire 2.25 in, tall one 4.75 in ( for vehicles equipped with sensors according to them)

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
we recently installed the coils, shocks and sway bar links from a JLUR ER on my daughters JLU Sport and upgraded wheels staying with 17” and BFG 35” KO2’s. Looks and performs awesome. We attempted to mount the same wheel &tire to the spare and doesn't fit very well, so we removed it. she will not be driving this vehicle off-road and we are looking for a spare tire carrier solution that keeps the 3rd brake light above the tire (don’t want to relocate to the center of wheel). Seeing a lot of option, prices all over the map. Whats a good option for her considering she isn’t wheeling this vehicle off-road. I like the Mopar reinforcement and relocation kits but cost is over $600. Appreciate the recommendations.
If the light location is the only issue did you know that the original 3rd brake light bracket on your Jeep is adjustable for 35" tires?

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
35" tire, it comes down to plastic vs steel bumper. It will fit on a plastic bumper, on metal, it will catch the bumper.
This is a 35" Falken WildPeak with the stock metal bumper and support. It was close but it fit.
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare tire carrier recommendation for 35” tire 1656629638472
Sponsored