Spare tire carrier experiences/ reviews

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Note, I did not drill the holes in my tailgate. It is optional.
Do you notice any movement at all without drilling the holes? Like vibrations on the tailgate, etc.

This seems like a good way to possibly add an accessory by reversing the fastner direction. I am not sure what exactly would fit there, but seems like *something* should.

I like the comments others have made about putting something behind it to protect the paint. This would also resolve any vibrations that may occur.

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Do you notice any movement at all without drilling the holes? Like vibrations on the tailgate, etc.

This seems like a good way to possibly add an accessory by reversing the fastner direction. I am not sure what exactly would fit there, but seems like *something* should.

I like the comments others have made about putting something behind it to protect the paint. This would also resolve any vibrations that may occur.

No vibrations at all. A piece vinyl would be find behind it I suppose. But it sits so tight, I didnt do even that. I get very picky about stuff. Like if something is supposed to have something fastened, or a piece somewhere, I feel the need to make sure it is. But even with that mentality, I didnt mess with it. I got everything lined up perfect the first time. I didn't want to take it all back off to address that portion. Its really only meant to "stiften" the metal around the handle. And I've been all good there.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No vibrations at all. A piece vinyl would be find behind it I suppose. But it sits so tight, I didnt do even that. I get very picky about stuff. Like if something is supposed to have something fastened, or a piece somewhere, I feel the need to make sure it is. But even with that mentality, I didnt mess with it. I got everything lined up perfect the first time. I didn't want to take it all back off to address that portion. Its really only meant to "stiften" the metal around the handle. And I've been all good there.
Good for me!! Looks like this is the direction I will be going, as I am tired of waiting for @TeraFlex Alpha HD Hinge.

Sponsored

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was about to order Rusty's tire carrier, and decided to read the installation instructions one last time. I came across this post regarding the backup camera:
Jeep Wrangler JL Spare tire carrier experiences/ reviews 1617231213040

Is the lug nut and camera holder being used the oem part? If so...I am now in need of locating it, as I sold mine when I installed the Alpha JL carrier.

OP
OP
cocaine_white

cocaine_white

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I was about to order Rusty's tire carrier, and decided to read the installation instructions one last time. I came across this post regarding the backup camera:

Is the lug nut and camera holder being used the oem part? If so...I am now in need of locating it, as I sold mine when I installed the Alpha JL carrier.
Looks like it. Luckily i kept mine when i installed the smittybilt

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)

Yep, definitely needed.

jabtyler

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jlur
I did the Motobilt and I am very happy with it. it comes raw steel so it has to be painted or powder coated. its holding 37" tire now but Im going to 40 when these wear out. I don't have any pictures now but Ill see if I can get some tomorrow.

Sponsored

Jhendo

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon Firecracker Red
Occupation
Product/Digital Design Sales
Do you know the weight of your spare setup? I would be coming in around 110lbs, would be great to not drill the tailgate.

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
Do you know the weight of your spare setup? I would be coming in around 110lbs, would be great to not drill the tailgate.

I haven't weighed them, but according to manufacturer specs, around 116lbs. Rusty's actually has a video explaining that the tailgate drilling is optional, and is only to reinforce the tailgate for where the handle pulls on it. It does not do any of the weight bearing stuff.

Datjeeptho

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I had the Teraflex Alpha, but couldn't keep waiting for the matching hinged reinforcement. I now have the Cavfab Elite hinged tailgate reinforcement and adjustable carrier. It's been awesome, and the tailgate no longer even knows there's a 38" spare hanging off of it. I highly recommend it.

Not that it can be seen with the spare hanging on it, but here's a pic of the Teraflex Alpha. And the Cavfab before and after installing it.
This looks great. How rough was the install?

I was looking at the Smittybilt hinge reinforcement but it doesn't have a spot for the camera or the license plate if I remember correctly. This looks much better.

OP
OP
cocaine_white

cocaine_white

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
This looks great. How rough was the install?

I was looking at the Smittybilt hinge reinforcement but it doesn't have a spot for the camera or the license plate if I remember correctly. This looks much better.
Ive got the smittybilt now and it has a place for the camera and license plate though i went with a relocater that kept the license plate above the bumper as i like that look better personally. No real complaints with it just wanted something beefier for the 39's thats why im swapping it out for the Rusty's

20210403_141434.jpg
Sponsored