Spare Relocation - Happy...and not happy

sirryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Installed the RC relo bracket a few days ago. It's rock solid and and kind of pleased with it. Install was super easy and fit was perfect. Finish, eh...debatable. Had a small chip or two so I sprayed it with some bedliner on the front and put some clear 3m film behind it so as not to have metal to metal. It said would lift the tire 2" up and out. Turns out is is more like 4 up. I was really only needing like 1/8 to 1/4 inch raising, so as not to rub on the bumper...but this was the best I could find. That's the part I am unhappy about. I put the spare back on and added some furniture feet to the bump stops to keep it from vibrating, but the distance it moved it, while not rattling, has lots of vibration when I shut the tailgate. Even very easily. I am tempted to remove it and maybe take a heat gun, and kind of mold the rear bumper indents (push them in some). Like I said, i just need a very tiny bit running 285/75/17 on factory wheels. Kind of using the factory bumper as "shelf." My JK, that size rested perfectly on the rear bumper, so I thought this set would also. Think I need to worry about the sheet metal on the tailgate with this setup?

where it was rubbing.jpg

spare bump stops.jpg
Sponsored

BoisetheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
i've seen others running 285/75/17 ko2's that rested great and had the shelf aspect you're talking about without the relo bracket. but ko2's run a bit small i guess. curious what tires you're running?

OP
OP

sirryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Toyo Open Country AT's. 285/75/17. I literally was rubbing only on the pasenger side edge. So that's what I was thinking just a heat gun would let me push it in just a tad.
Sponsored