Sponsored

Spacers needed on 315/70R17 Patagonias with MC 2.5 and stock wheels?

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I'm wondering if anyone has run 315/70R17 Patagonias with MC 2.5 and stock wheels? I'm getting them on next week but am not sure if i need spacers.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm wondering if anyone has run 315/70R17 Patagonias with MC 2.5 and stock wheels? I'm getting them on next week but am not sure if i need spacers.
It's certainly doable, as many have done similar size combos. I had a set of 315/70-17 bfgoodrich ko2's on factory wheels for nearly 15k miles with zero issues.

The factory wheel is only 7.5" wide, which is under the recommended range for that size tire. Some shops won't mount them, for liability concerns, because it voids the tire manufacturers warranty. I, and many others, have found that running 2-4 psi less helps to retain a full contact patch for even wear. The reason for the lower pressure, is to help counter the center of the treads tendency to balloon outward due to the mounting beads being pulled closer together from the narrow wheel.

As far as spacers go, they're a love or hate item depending on who you ask. It doubles the amount of lug nuts to monitor, and it doesn’t quite compare to the strength of a wheel with a less positive to negative offset. If you have to use them, while saving for a set of wheels, only get a set of hub-centric ones. Borah and Synergy are my suggestions for the level of quality that you'd want. The former offers the full range of thicknesses, and the latter only offers 1.75". 1.75" is needed to clear the factory lug studs, but the factory wheels have recessed pockets on the back of the mounting flange in between the mounting holes, so that enables the use of a thinner spacer. Just take some measurements of your pockets, before going that route.

My 315's on factory wheels and no spacers would slightly rub the lower control arms at full lock. Adjusting the steering stops out a bit, will help with that. But the Metalcloak lifts are one of the most flexible lifts out there, shy of going with long arms and coilovers. Without proper wheel offset, or spacers, your flexibility will be limited.

OP
OP
JJSix

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the heads up! I talked with discount tire and they are willing to mount them on the 7.5s. There is definitely a bit of a mismatch with what milestars shows as they show a 8.0 min width so I'm going to get certificates for them in any case. Ill look at running them at lower pressure and run a chalk test once I get them to make sure I have a good contact patch.

I want to make sure I get the max flex on the arms so I'm assuming spacers will be necessary. The Pats are 1.7" wider than the stick KO2s, but also ~2"s taller, I would assume I'd be looking at about needing 1.75" spacing to ensure at full lock I have no rubbing. I should get the tires mounted early next week and I'll get a better idea but I think based on what your saying a hubcentric set of borah's might be my best option so I can keep the stock wheels.

Jerrybizzle

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Tech
You have a rubicon or non rubicon? With a rubicon you won’t need the spacers, with a non rubicon you’ll probably need the spacers. Why? The rubicon axle is 1.5 inches wider and that 3/4 difference per side makes a difference.

OP
OP
JJSix

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I got the rubi so hopefully they'll be good to go once they're on

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
The Milestar Patagonias are designed to have a more rounded tread, from side to side, not flat like the factory bfgoodrich ko2. Play around in the 33-35psi range, would be my suggestion. Being a hybrid a/t m/t, it's meant to not ride on the outer most portion of the outer tread blocks at street pressure.

Also, thread locker should be used on the studs holding the spacers to the axle hubs. I'd prefer the medium blue over the high red, so as to avoid possible collateral damage when you no longer need them.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
you’ll want the spacers when running the stock wheels. In the rear especially there’s not much clearance between the wheel and rear sway bar end links. When properly installed and quality parts used, I can’t find any fault with spacers. Obviously 4.5” BS wheels are preferred but not necessary

brett

OP
OP
JJSix

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Tires on, get some rub at full lock. I thought about adjusting the steering stops but decided that spacers was the best answer so I have 4 spidertrax 1.75s on order.
Sponsored