Spacer lift vs full lift kit?

rymanoo

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I currently have a JLUR and I am looking to add 37 inch tires, would the 2.5 inch spacer lift from Rough Country be enough?

What is the difference between the spacer lift and the full lift kit?

I'm obliviously a newbie as i'm sure you can tell.
Sponsored

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
I currently have a JLUR and I am looking to add 37 inch tires, would the 2.5 inch spacer lift from Rough Country be enough?

What is the difference between the spacer lift and the full lift kit?

I'm obliviously a newbie as i'm sure you can tell.
The 2.5ā€ lift should be enough if you have proper wheel backspacing and only go with a 12.5ā€ wide tire. Otherwise you could have rubbing issues. For you have wheels and tires picked out?

Simply put, spacers just fit above the coil springs and raise the Jeep without any extra articulation or wheel travel, while a full lift will have longer springs that will allow for more suspension travel.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I personally would not run over 35ā€ with a spacer lift or budget boost, I cannot give you the specs but when I had my 2.5ā€ RC budget boost I was advised that 35ā€ was safe and above that other things needed to be done

Reactions: J0E

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have not jumped mine or anything crazy. It has been up some pretty tough trails. I would not do it without a Rubicon but with our bigger axles I believe we are good. Hell look what Kevin has put his thru running 38" 90 percent more than most jeeps will see.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have not jumped mine or anything crazy. It has been up some pretty tough trails. I would not do it without a Rubicon but with our bigger axles I believe we are good. Hell look what Kevin has put his thru running 38" 90 percent more than most jeeps will see.
Rubi axels are wider than my Sahara so that helps, I am running my RC boost with 315x 70 x 17 KO2ā€™s on Method MR312ā€™s with a-12 offset and 4.5 backspace and I canā€™t see how mine would hit anything unless I really bounced but I was advised not to run over 35ā€™s and mine are 34ā€™s

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18ā€™ Toyota 4Runner
Amazon has the Mopar Lift at a great price. Keep in mind this is for the 3.6 , 4door model

Last edited:

ATO4x4

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
The 2.5ā€ lift should be enough if you have proper wheel backspacing and only go with a 12.5ā€ wide tire. Otherwise you could have rubbing issues. For you have wheels and tires picked out?

Simply put, spacers just fit above the coil springs and raise the Jeep without any extra articulation or wheel travel, while a full lift will have longer springs that will allow for more suspension travel.
Springs have no effect on suspension travel. Bumpstops and shocks (or limiting straps) "should" be your limiting factors. Running spacers instead of springs makes absolutely no difference as long as you run at least as much bumpstop as you have spacer so you do not over compress your coils. Coils give you the opportunity to change your spring rate or go with a variable rate. If you are happy with the way your factory coils perform a spacer lift is just fine. The parts of a lift that are exponentially more important than spring vs. spacer are proper bumpstops, proper shock lengths, track bars (if needed) and control arms to fix your caster angle.

I am running a Daystar 2" spacer lift with 2" bumpstop extensions and Falcon 2.1 shocks. It fits 37s perfectly and drives great.

mo flex (3).jpg

-Eli

Sponsored

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
Springs have no effect on suspension travel. Bumpstops and shocks (or limiting straps) "should" be your limiting factors. Running spacers instead of springs makes absolutely no difference as long as you run at least as much bumpstop as you have spacer so you do not over compress your coils. Coils give you the opportunity to change your spring rate or go with a variable rate. If you are happy with the way your factory coils perform a spacer lift is just fine. The parts of a lift that are exponentially more important than spring vs. spacer are proper bumpstops, proper shock lengths, track bars (if needed) and control arms to fix your caster angle.

I am running a Daystar 2" spacer lift with 2" bumpstop extensions and Falcon 2.1 shocks. It fits 37s perfectly and drives great.

mo flex (3).jpg

-Eli
Should be is the key but depends on the setup and a coil will compress more than a rubber or steel spacer (which wonā€™t). The difference in that extra few inches isnā€™t much but significant.

Your JL looks good, and agree the stock suspension rides pretty nice with spacers.

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
Your thinking is slightly off here. Every lift kit should have bumpstop extensions and all good kits are supplied with the minimum safe length that is required. Bump stop extensions do two things.... they keep larger tires from eating your fenders and they stop the suspension up-travel before the coil is over compressed. (For the sake of this conversation I am going to leave out shock length but it is also very important) The factory coil is at max compression with factory bumpstops. Put a 2" spacer on top of a factory coil, add a 2" bumpstop extension and your compression remains the same. A lift coil ALSO needs bumpstop extensions. A lift coil has more spring wraps than a factory coil and because of that can not compress as far. If you install a lift coil and do not extend the bumpstops, you will ruin the coil. So again, your up-travel is limited by your bumpstops and your down-travel "should" be limited by your shocks or limiting straps. Whether you get the lift from spacers or coils, it has zero "functional" effect on total suspension travel. ;)

-Eli

Jonathanseal

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl altitude V-6
Your thinking is slightly off here. Every lift kit should have bumpstop extensions and all good kits are supplied with the minimum safe length that is required. Bump stop extensions do two things.... they keep larger tires from eating your fenders and they stop the suspension up-travel before the coil is over compressed. (For the sake of this conversation I am going to leave out shock length but it is also very important) The factory coil is at max compression with factory bumpstops. Put a 2" spacer on top of a factory coil, add a 2" bumpstop extension and your compression remains the same. A lift coil ALSO needs bumpstop extensions. A lift coil has more spring wraps than a factory coil and because of that can not compress as far. If you install a lift coil and do not extend the bumpstops, you will ruin the coil. So again, your up-travel is limited by your bumpstops and your down-travel "should" be limited by your shocks or limiting straps. Whether you get the lift from spacers or coils, it has zero "functional" effect on total suspension travel. ;)

-Eli
If a lift kit such as described is installed, is there any effect on alignment? Does the suspension need an alignment after installation, and are there any effects on steering and handling by doing this? Staying with standard Altitude wheels and tires.. wife just wants to look talleršŸ˜œšŸ˜œThank you
Sponsored