Spacer Lift Recommendations

humpndunk

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
First Jeep, so I’m new to this. 2018 JLU Sahara.
I’ve already done new 33x12.5 tires and 17x9” wheels. This is a daily driver, and on the street they drive great, no rubbing, but I haven’t flexed them off road at all. I am considering adding a spacer lift like the Teraflex 1.5, and also maybe some Rubicon take-off components which are sitting in my garage. Does this make sense, doing both? What is the benefit of the Rubi suspension take-off, and what parts would I be swapping out?
Also, many posts recommend adding the Mopar LCA when doing this lift. Can I hear why? My Sahara LCA and the Rubi take-off LCA appear to be the same length; what are the specs (and part #) on the Mopar LCA for this size lift?
Finally, some posts suggest adding a shock extension kit if I do the spacer lift. Good idea? I don’t see any 1.5" or 2” shock extensions online, just the 2.5-3” kits. Recommendations?

New Wheels.jpg

Rubi Suspension.jpeg
Sponsored

Turbomark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport Altitude
I have 33’s as well and did two stacked .5” Teraflex spacers on the 4 corners for a 1” all-around lift. My Sport Altitude has the same shocks as your Sahara. Rides great. It’s my wife’s DD and she has noticed zero difference in ride quality. Sorry I don’t have any quality pics yet, just did lift on Monday. But here a couple quick pics.

B7C28E0D-14B0-43EC-8D73-045A0BD1C06A.jpeg

6A621281-1675-4BEE-A8F4-8B2D32D878B2.jpeg

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Im running 33’s on the stock 18” wheels with the Teraflex spacer kit and the extended bump stops (not necessary but I already bought them). Everything else is stock and it rides great. I considered the Rubi takeoff method but for now decided to just go with spacers.
Jeep Wrangler JL Spacer Lift Recommendations C6C4805A-7859-49C5-816B-358AFB6059E4

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
The Rubicon suspension will lift your Sahara to the height of a stock Rubicon. It is a cheap and easy way to lift you Jeep by 1.5 to 2 inches.

You will hear people speak of the ride quality of a stock Jeep. With a stock Jeep, all of the suspension components have been measured and configured to provide this quality ride.

When you increase the height of your Jeep, the stock lower control arms are now out of line. This will affect the quality of the ride. The LCA's that come with the Mopar lift kit are longer than the stock LCA's. They will bring your suspension more in line with the stock configuration.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-vs-sport-suspension-height.4347/

TJHUB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I just installed the Terraflex 1.5" spacer lift on Tuesday. I'm running Rubicon take-off 33's on my sport altitude. I'm not planning any off road with this one, so I just did the spacers. If you will be going off road and flexing it to its max, then you should consider a spacer kit with proper bump stops, sway bar end links, and longer shocks. AEV 2" looks good for that. Those Rubi shocks with just a spacer lift would be close.

I didn't go Rubi take-off springs because I wouldn't know exactly what I was getting for height. I'd need to install it and then go back and add spacers to get where I wanted? No way I'm interested in doing all that. The spacer lift was a known before install. I also had 1" of rake that the Terraflex kit balanced out nicely. It's now 1/2", but it looks much better to me.

I don't have a lot of miles on the lift yet, but I had it up to 80 plus mph, and everything seems normal. I didn't really notice any wondering in the steering, but I am driving a 250 mile round trip this Sunday. If I notice an increase in steering wonder due to the reduced caster on the front, I will install the longer LCAs you've heard about.

Here's a before and after:

Jeep Wrangler JL Spacer Lift Recommendations Screenshot_20211102-162334
Jeep Wrangler JL Spacer Lift Recommendations Screenshot_20211102-162355

Last edited:

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i just removed a spacer lift off my Mum's JKU Willys what a waste of money I installed a true suspension lift on it what a world of a difference.. IMO your better off installing the rubicon take off shocks and springs. The control arms and track bars from the rubicon and the sports and Sahara's are the same.... i have two sets and they measure out the same. ( i installed rubicon springs and shocks on my sport and ran it for about a year and a half and really enjoyed the way it rode. Only reason i went to a bigger lift and a full lift kit was due to running a lot of gear for camping and the rubi springs just didn't handle the weight at all. installed heavy duty springs and its a bit rough without the weight from the gear but once the gear is on its amazing off road. ) I also say if you're looking for a better ride quality get a nice set of adjustable shocks like the Falcon sp3.3's thats just my thoughts after going from the stock sport stuff to rubicon stuff to a true lift.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
As was mentioned, you can throw out everything except the springs & shocks as it is all the same.

I would suggest the Rubi springs & shocks, along with 1/2" spacer in front, and the lower control arms from the mopar lift that are 1/4" longer than stock. (many threads on using these due to how low caster is on the Rubicon stock, because of the greater height, yet still using the same length control arms as all other trims)

The rubi shocks & springs will give about 1". You would still have a rake from front to rear, hence the 1/2" spacer in front.

Mopar lift LCA's will fix your caster.

I ran that setup on my '19 Sahara for a while until I switched to the Rancho lift.

OP
OP

humpndunk

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
As was mentioned, you can throw out everything except the springs & shocks as it is all the same.
I would suggest the Rubi springs & shocks, along with 1/2" spacer in front, and the lower control arms from the mopar lift that are 1/4" longer than stock. (many threads on using these due to how low caster is on the Rubicon stock, because of the greater height, yet still using the same length control arms as all other trims)
The rubi shocks & springs will give about 1". You would still have a rake from front to rear, hence the 1/2" spacer in front.
Mopar lift LCA's will fix your caster.
I ran that setup on my '19 Sahara for a while until I switched to the Rancho lift.
Okay this is exactly what I'm going to do. Use just the springs and shocks from the Rubi, add 1/2" spacer to the front, add the Mopar LCA's that are 1/4" longer than stock. Thanks.

andrew4fins

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Based on you just got the 33’s that sounds like a solid plan. Takes you to rubicon height which pairs well with 33’s and the lca’s will make a difference handling wise. I have JLUR with teraflex 1.5 spacer n was amazed at the difference the mopar lca’s made once I installed. Literally 1/4 inch and was like night and day. Wow.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Sponsored

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Notice any difference with Fox 2.0 and rubicon springs?
Rubicon springs & Rubicon shocks are just a bit firmer than stock Sport setup, after a couple hrs driving you probably won't even notice much difference. The Fox 2.0s are a noticeably firmer, but in a good way. More control over washboard type terrain, or small road imperfections, and much more travel when you're doing off road duty that requires articulation.

I'm 100% happy w/ the Fox 2.0 purchase, and that combined w/ the Rubicon springs, Mopar lift LCAs, high fender kit, and newest cast iron steering box I've got a great handling 2dr JL, one that I can go 80 mph on the hwy without worry. Also having a low center of gravity build that isn't as prone to get death defying off-camber as higher lifted 2drs. When I get my 35s on (in my shed just collecting dust) I'm still hoping the overall performance on & off road will be similar. I may have to go w/ some more bump stop though as I was into the inner fender liners just a bit, but it was a pretty challenging time
Jeep Wrangler JL Spacer Lift Recommendations Snapchat-704580492

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Rubicon springs & Rubicon shocks are just a bit firmer than stock Sport setup, after a couple hrs driving you probably won't even notice much difference. The Fox 2.0s are a noticeably firmer, but in a good way. More control over washboard type terrain, or small road imperfections, and much more travel when you're doing off road duty that requires articulation.

I'm 100% happy w/ the Fox 2.0 purchase, and that combined w/ the Rubicon springs, Mopar lift LCAs, high fender kit, and newest cast iron steering box I've got a great handling 2dr JL, one that I can go 80 mph on the hwy without worry. Also having a low center of gravity build that isn't as prone to get death defying off-camber as higher lifted 2drs. When I get my 35s on (in my shed just collecting dust) I'm still hoping the overall performance on & off road will be similar. I may have to go w/ some more bump stop though as I was into the inner fender liners just a bit, but it was a pretty challenging time

You on Instagram or YouTube? That’s great reporting sir, I think this may be my route..my dilemma is going 2.5 lift with 35s for looks and performance but realistically my sport on 33s has been great for my daily drive and occasional off road trips where my belly always rubs.. If you were to choose the Mopar kit or this method? Which lift would you choose?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You on Instagram or YouTube? That’s great reporting sir, I think this may be my route..my dilemma is going 2.5 lift with 35s for looks and performance but realistically my sport on 33s has been great for my daily drive and occasional off road trips where my belly always rubs.. If you were to choose the Mopar kit or this method? Which lift would you choose?
Thanks for the kind words! Not on instagram or youtube, or facebook, etc. If it wasn't for my wife having a smart phone I'd still be back in the stone age, but I do rock a flip phone, lol, can't have a phone smarter than me :)

As far as lift, I have a 2dr so it's a bit easier to get by w/ shorter tires. It really comes down to what you plan to do w/ your JLU. What you might consider is running Diesel Rubicon springs or springs from the 392 Rubicon, these should net about 1 to 1.5" more than regular 4dr Rubicon sets. Might also look into Rubicon fenders or a high fender kit like mine to allow more room (and keep a lower center of gravity)
The Diesel Rubicon setup
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...on-on-2-door-sport.40700/page-17#post-1722911
The 392 setup
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...l-where-do-the-springs-go.82499/#post-1726132
And the price of the 392 springs are a bargain (at least for the front pair)
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...l-where-do-the-springs-go.82499/#post-1726569

And my setup as it is currently

Jeep Wrangler JL Spacer Lift Recommendations 1126211400_HDR

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed the Terraflex 1.5" spacer lift on Tuesday. I'm running Rubicon take-off 33's on my sport altitude. I'm not planning any off road with this one, so I just did the spacers. If you will be going off road and flexing it to its max, then you should consider a spacer kit with proper bump stops, sway bar end links, and longer shocks. AEV 2" looks good for that. Those Rubi shocks with just a spacer lift would be close.

I didn't go Rubi take-off springs because I wouldn't know exactly what I was getting for height. I'd need to install it and then go back and add spacers to get where I wanted? No way I'm interested in doing all that. The spacer lift was a known before install. I also had 1" of rake that the Terraflex kit balanced out nicely. It's now 1/2", but it looks much better to me.

I don't have a lot of miles on the lift yet, but I had it up to 80 plus mph, and everything seems normal. I didn't really notice any wondering in the steering, but I am driving a 250 mile round trip this Sunday. If I notice an increase in steering wonder due to the reduced caster on the front, I will install the longer LCAs you've heard about.

Here's a before and after:

Im considering the Teraflex or AEV spacer lift. How's you Teraflex for you? Any issues since install? Did you only add the spacer or were there other components like trackbar or LCAs
Sponsored