OP

Reneli

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2D
Heres my 2 door on rubi springs and shocks and 32s (31.5).
IMG_20201002_101009989.jpg

IMG_20200927_113526825_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200816_172008471.jpg

My 2 cents. People always talk about bigger tires, bigger lift, etc. And of course bigger tires help a bunch rock crawling. Everyone wants 35s, they look cool and they perform well. But what most people dont talk about is how having oversized tires will reduce the longevity of components if you dont replace a bunch of stuff with it, and most people dont need 35s. 35s are massive, but big tires are so popular in the U.S. that they seem more normal to us. Ive seem beautiful rigs on 35s and 37s and the properly built ones they replaced a lot of oem components with heavier duty.

Now, if you have ever been offroading youll notice as you start tackling hard stuff how incredibly important articulation is. A lift on a solid axle is not simply to fit larger tires, but to improve articulation and carrying capacity. Spacers simply wont give you that.

I plan to put 33s on my rig, and would consider a small lift.in the future but I will likely keep my 33s. I do have a 2 door which has enough ground clearance on 33s. If I had a JLU I would eventually put 35s but that would come with a proper lift and new steering components. You can read all about my build and thought process on my build thread.

Dont do spacers. go rubi springs.
Good insight man! Yea Iā€™m going 33s all the way. I mean 35s look awesome but honestly Iā€™m not going to be doing anything crazy that would require them. When you add that with the maintenance and lower gas mileage Iā€™m good with 33s. Iā€™m in a very similar situation as you. I donā€™t know if I should try and do it myself or get a shop to do it. Iā€™ve changed my own oil but thatā€™s the extent of my mechanical experience
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Good insight man! Yea Iā€™m going 33s all the way. I mean 35s look awesome but honestly Iā€™m not going to be doing anything crazy that would require them. When you add that with the maintenance and lower gas mileage Iā€™m good with 33s. Iā€™m in a very similar situation as you. I donā€™t know if I should try and do it myself or get a shop to do it. Iā€™ve changed my own oil but thatā€™s the extent of my mechanical experience
I found someone to help me do it. I had very little experience before doing it, just as you, oil changes and minor stuff. It is worth going through the work and the pain, but you should do it with somebody experienced and with the right tools and safety measures.

It is a lot for somebody inexperienced, it was much more difficult than I thought it was gonna be. But now that I know how it works, it doesn't seem that bad.

To me, the most difficult parts to replace where the LCAs, they are torqued to 190lbs and can be tough to get off. I didn't have an impact at the time, or a properly sized breaker bar. I torqued them up myself after the lift was done, with the Jeep on the ground. It was a royal pain to get them up to 190lbs as well. If you can get the jeep on a platform, on its own weight it should be really easy to torque everything up.

OP
OP

Reneli

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2D
I found someone to help me do it. I had very little experience before doing it, just as you, oil changes and minor stuff. It is worth going through the work and the pain, but you should do it with somebody experienced and with the right tools and safety measures.

It is a lot for somebody inexperienced, it was much more difficult than I thought it was gonna be. But now that I know how it works, it doesn't seem that bad.

To me, the most difficult parts to replace where the LCAs, they are torqued to 190lbs and can be tough to get off. I didn't have an impact at the time, or a properly sized breaker bar. I torqued them up myself after the lift was done, with the Jeep on the ground. It was a royal pain to get them up to 190lbs as well. If you can get the jeep on a platform, on its own weight it should be really easy to torque everything up.
Yea, Iā€™ve heard the LCAs are a pain to get off. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m thinking, the only thing is I donā€™t know a lot of people that work on their own cars let alone a Jeep. I think Iā€™m going to throw out some feelers here on the forum. Iā€™m looking for some in the LA area with the proper tools to do the install with me, that way I learn. Willing to pay them for their time. I donā€™t want to be dependent on a shop if I want to change things.

364pipeguy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon / 1971 CJ-6
Occupation
retired Steamfitter
Hi Rene, I installed my 2.5 mopar lift by myself and took me about 8 hrs. The L.C.A.s are the hardest part ,but i did it with 2 jack stands, hydraulic jack and tools. A couple of the larger size metric wrenches are not common. At the time my impact wrench would not loosen the L.C.A.s so had to get my friend to help loosen them. The instructions will come with it.

OP
OP

Reneli

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2D
Does the amount of time the shocks and springs have been sitting matter? or instance I have sets Iā€™m looking at one is off an 2018 one is off a 19 and the other is a 20. The 18 has the least amount of miles.

Sponsored

ShadowRig

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Metallic Granite
Looks good! Thatā€™s another thing the install. How much is the install for Rubi suspension coming in at. If I am being honest I am not all that mechanically inclined and donā€™t have tools.
Yeah price will depend on location. Mine was $175 from a family friend mechanic.

ShadowRig

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Metallic Granite
Heres my 2 door on rubi springs and shocks and 32s (31.5).
IMG_20201002_101009989.jpg

IMG_20200927_113526825_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200816_172008471.jpg

My 2 cents. People always talk about bigger tires, bigger lift, etc. And of course bigger tires help a bunch rock crawling. Everyone wants 35s, they look cool and they perform well. But what most people dont talk about is how having oversized tires will reduce the longevity of components if you dont replace a bunch of stuff with it, and most people dont need 35s. 35s are massive, but big tires are so popular in the U.S. that they seem more normal to us. Ive seem beautiful rigs on 35s and 37s and the properly built ones they replaced a lot of oem components with heavier duty.

Now, if you have ever been offroading youll notice as you start tackling hard stuff how incredibly important articulation is. A lift on a solid axle is not simply to fit larger tires, but to improve articulation and carrying capacity. Spacers simply wont give you that.

I plan to put 33s on my rig, and would consider a small lift.in the future but I will likely keep my 33s. I do have a 2 door which has enough ground clearance on 33s. If I had a JLU I would eventually put 35s but that would come with a proper lift and new steering components. You can read all about my build and thought process on my build thread.

Dont do spacers. go rubi springs.
Great advice on this post and nice jeep!. Reneli see what your intentions are.

Mine is a daily driver. 34" terra grapplers look great, pretty quiet on road, and have good wear since I am on-road 98% of time. The rubicon suspension w/ daystar level kit rides great and will clear 34s. Tires are a bit heavy since LT tires but I kept stock rims as a compromise.

3.45 gears are ok w/ my manual transmission and I do good w this set up even in NY traffic. I did not swap LCAs for the amount of lift I have but I did not measure caster. From what I read in most post it is only optional for this set up. Will consider in the future

I just love the aggressive look of the bigger tires but won't be doing any extreme rock crawling... easy to moderate trails at best ... I live in New York City.

Jeep Wrangler JL Spacer lift or Rubi takeoffs? 20201002_181937~3

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Thanks everyone! Another question, if I do go Rubi take offs, does the rubicon naturally have a factory rake? Not going to run a winch. Are people running pucks on all sides or just the front?
Rene, check that link I posted, you'll see how the Rubi springs affect rake, on my 2dr it seemed pretty level after the spring swap and 4 posts down in this thread is details about the LCA swap too. Hopefully you can find someone willing to help (maybe even someone on this forum), it's not hard, just take your time and get help if needed :)
FWIW I found the Rubi springs to be quite similar to the stock sport springs, more lift and slightly stiffer, but very easy to get used to the change, and not unreasonably firm at all.

I would imagine springs from a Diesel Rubicon would be quite different though as those should be noticeably firmer.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/

OP
OP

Reneli

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2D
Rene, check that link I posted, you'll see how the Rubi springs affect rake, on my 2dr it seemed pretty level after the spring swap and 4 posts down in this thread is details about the LCA swap too. Hopefully you can find someone willing to help (maybe even someone on this forum), it's not hard, just take your time and get help if needed :)
FWIW I found the Rubi springs to be quite similar to the stock sport springs, more lift and slightly stiffer, but very easy to get used to the change, and not unreasonably firm at all.

I would imagine springs from a Diesel Rubicon would be quite different though as those should be noticeably firmer.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/
Great write up Blnewt! the rake does not seem too noticeable on the rubi suspension. I was thinking about putting .5 spacers all around to ensure I get a 2in lift off springs alone but now I am second-guessing it. Funny that you mention the diesel I have a line on a rubi suspension with low miles that was fully loaded. Steel bumper, tow, hardtop, it came off of a ecodiesle. Not sure if I should pull the trigger. Worried about ride stiffness.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
My personal opinion is that it rides better now than when it was stock...it's almost as smooth as my wife's JLU Sport. I will be taking it offroad for the first time tomorrow and am really excited. The place we are wheeling is about 2.5 hours away so I will report back how it feels on a long trip.
OK, gonna quote myself here because the moment of truth passed this weekend.

I have to say, I'm ~really~ impressed with this little Jeep now! We drove it 160 miles one way (2.5 hours or so) with road speeds up to 75 mph on I78 in PA, rode around on a bunch of green trails at Rausch Creek in 4Lo for 5 hours or so, then drove it another 160 miles (2.5 hours) back home. So, this was 10 solid hours in one day behind the wheel, half on-road, half off-road. Off-road, the Rubicon suspension works perfectly for the type of trails and wheeling I intend to do. And it did not beat us up at all on the highway, it rides really smooth IMO.

I'm definitely a happy camper!

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Great write up Blnewt! the rake does not seem too noticeable on the rubi suspension. I was thinking about putting .5 spacers all around to ensure I get a 2in lift off springs alone but now I am second-guessing it. Funny that you mention the diesel I have a line on a rubi suspension with low miles that was fully loaded. Steel bumper, tow, hardtop, it came off of a ecodiesle. Not sure if I should pull the trigger. Worried about ride stiffness.
Yeah, it might be quite a bit firmer but will yield the most lift, so that's your call :)
There's some threads in this section on that exact swap but don't have time to dig them up, Would be worth it to scroll back and find them in your case.

I have to say, I'm ~really~ impressed with this little Jeep now! We drove it 160 miles one way (2.5 hours or so) with road speeds up to 75 mph on I78 in PA, rode around on a bunch of green trails at Rausch Creek in 4Lo for 5 hours or so, then drove it another 160 miles (2.5 hours) back home. So, this was 10 solid hours in one day behind the wheel, half on-road, half off-road. Off-road, the Rubicon suspension works perfectly for the type of trails and wheeling I intend to do. And it did not beat us up at all on the highway, it rides really smooth IMO.

Sweet review! Glad it's working out well!

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, I did the rubicon suspension first and then later did the Rough country spacer lift kit. So I have done my suspension twice. I don't mind helping you if you want. I live in East La near Montebello.

Let me know. Send me a PM if you want.

OP
OP

Reneli

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2D

I think this post sealed the deal for me. Rubi takeoffs it is!!! Now I just have to find the right set.

OP
OP

Reneli

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2D
Hey, I did the rubicon suspension first and then later did the Rough country spacer lift kit. So I have done my suspension twice. I don't mind helping you if you want. I live in East La near Montebello.

Let me know. Send me a PM if you want.
Bro that would be helpful! PMing you now

Last edited:

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Hi Rene, I have A '19 Rubicon that came with the premium suspension that I replaced with the mopar 2.5 lift. When I had that system on it rode great not stiff at all. My JLUR is a 4 dr so it would give you about a 2" lift. It has 4 springs, shocks, sway bar links, and front lower control arms. If you are interested please contact me. I will sell it for $150. Only 500 miles on it when removed
If you still have it Im all in
Sponsored