Spacer lift or Rubi takeoffs?

Reneli

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2D
As the title states, I am in the market for around a 2inch lift. My JL which is set to be delivered soon will be my daily driver. I’m think it will be be 90% street 10% off road. Maintaining my warranty and on road ride is pretty important. I’m worried the Rubi springs will cause a stiffer ride. I have a line on some take off from a 4d hard top with tow package. Will be adding the LCAs from the mopar 2inch lift in either scenario. What are the pros and cons of both? Your thoughts and opinions are welcomed. Thanks!
Sponsored

364pipeguy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon / 1971 CJ-6
Occupation
retired Steamfitter
Hi Rene, I have A '19 Rubicon that came with the premium suspension that I replaced with the mopar 2.5 lift. When I had that system on it rode great not stiff at all. My JLUR is a 4 dr so it would give you about a 2" lift. It has 4 springs, shocks, sway bar links, and front lower control arms. If you are interested please contact me. I will sell it for $150. Only 500 miles on it when removed

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Back in July my son and I did the exact swap you're talking about; springs/shocks from a loaded JLUR into my 2-door base Sport. The springs/shocks along with Rubi takeoff wheel/tire package put my Jeep about 2.5" taller than stock. I've put about 1K miles on mine since then, mostly local-road daily commuting with plenty of potholes, rail crossings, and construction zones, along with some highway runs.

My personal opinion is that it rides better now than when it was stock...it's almost as smooth as my wife's JLU Sport. I will be taking it offroad for the first time tomorrow and am really excited. The place we are wheeling is about 2.5 hours away so I will report back how it feels on a long trip.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Hi Rene, I have A '19 Rubicon that came with the premium suspension that I replaced with the mopar 2.5 lift. When I had that system on it rode great not stiff at all. My JLUR is a 4 dr so it would give you about a 2" lift. It has 4 springs, shocks, sway bar links, and front lower control arms. If you are interested please contact me. I will sell it for $150. Only 500 miles on it when removed
sway bar links and LCAs on the rubicon are the exact same as on the sport.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
As the title states, I am in the market for around a 2inch lift. My JL which is set to be delivered soon will be my daily driver. I’m think it will be be 90% street 10% off road. Maintaining my warranty and on road ride is pretty important. I’m worried the Rubi springs will cause a stiffer ride. I have a line on some take off from a 4d hard top with tow package. Will be adding the LCAs from the mopar 2inch lift in either scenario. What are the pros and cons of both? Your thoughts and opinions are welcomed. Thanks!
I would test drive a rubicon and see if the ride is to your liking. If it’s ok, then do the Rubi takeoffs. If you feel it’s a little to stiff then put on the spacers. Spacers will not change the spring rate, and it will feel the same as stock just a little higher. I would recommend to get a spacer kit that has shock relocation brackets.Smart doing lcas either way. Good luck ...:)

OP
OP

Reneli

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2D
Thanks everyone! Another question, if I do go Rubi take offs, does the rubicon naturally have a factory rake? Not going to run a winch. Are people running pucks on all sides or just the front?

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Rubicon's are slightly lower in the front from factory. I would run Rubi takes offs all day on a sport before I would consider a spacer lift. There are some 3/4" spacers for the front that people toss in to get the right stance.

Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks everyone! Another question, if I do go Rubi take offs, does the rubicon naturally have a factory rake? Not going to run a winch. Are people running pucks on all sides or just the front?
I noticed no rake change when I added rubi suspension to 4 dr sport.

Worth noting:
springs are different for different builds based on hardtop vs soft top, bumper options , etc. so that may

ShadowRig

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Metallic Granite
Recommend rubicon take off... I got springs/shocks 59/61 and 90/91 and Daystar 3/4" leveling kit front/rear

Running 34" terra grapplers w no rub... could probably fit 35s w/ good offset rims

My original sport springs were 57/58 and 87/88

Got pretty decent lift and great ride better than stock for $350 including install
Jeep Wrangler JL Spacer lift or Rubi takeoffs? Screenshot_20201002-122438_Photos

OP
OP

Reneli

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2D
Recommend rubicon take off... I got springs/shocks 59/61 and 90/91 and Daystar 3/4" leveling kit front/rear

Running 34" terra grapplers w no rub... could probably fit 35s w/ good offset rims

My original sport springs were 57/58 and 87/88

Got pretty decent lift and great ride better than stock for $350 including install
Jeep Wrangler JL Spacer lift or Rubi takeoffs? Screenshot_20201002-122438_Photos
Looks good! That’s another thing the install. How much is the install for Rubi suspension coming in at. If I am being honest I am not all that mechanically inclined and don’t have tools.

OP
OP

Reneli

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2D
I would love to learn and would be willing to pay someone for their time to show me how to do the install.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Heres my 2 door on rubi springs and shocks and 32s (31.5).
IMG_20201002_101009989.jpg

IMG_20200927_113526825_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200816_172008471.jpg

My 2 cents. People always talk about bigger tires, bigger lift, etc. And of course bigger tires help a bunch rock crawling. Everyone wants 35s, they look cool and they perform well. But what most people dont talk about is how having oversized tires will reduce the longevity of components if you dont replace a bunch of stuff with it, and most people dont need 35s. 35s are massive, but big tires are so popular in the U.S. that they seem more normal to us. Ive seem beautiful rigs on 35s and 37s and the properly built ones they replaced a lot of oem components with heavier duty.

Now, if you have ever been offroading youll notice as you start tackling hard stuff how incredibly important articulation is. A lift on a solid axle is not simply to fit larger tires, but to improve articulation and carrying capacity. Spacers simply wont give you that.

I plan to put 33s on my rig, and would consider a small lift.in the future but I will likely keep my 33s. I do have a 2 door which has enough ground clearance on 33s. If I had a JLU I would eventually put 35s but that would come with a proper lift and new steering components. You can read all about my build and thought process on my build thread.

Dont do spacers. go rubi springs.
Sponsored

Last edited: