Spacer Lift or 2.5" Rock Krawler Lift

darylgordon

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
I need to preface this post with...I love the ride of my stock 2021 JLURD with 35" tires. My plan was to have an 1.5 to 2" lift installed on my Jeep. I wanted just enough lift to comfortable accommodate 35" tires on and off road. I have added a Ace front bumper with a Warn 9.5cti winch and an Ace rear bumper. The guys at Rock Krawler recommended adding spacers to achieve a small lift and to level the Jeep. The issue I have with this is the lost spring travel and the suspension going through the travel faster because of the added weight. I had a Dynatrac on my 2020 3.6 JLUR. I loved the lift, except when I loaded bikes and gear into the Jeep. When it was loaded, the rear suspension bottomed out a lot. So, needless to say, I've ruled out Dynatrac.

This lead me to think that it might be better to have a Rock Krawler 2.5" lift installed and go up to 37" tires. While cost is always a consideration, I want to get this right the first time and not have to redo everything.

Additionally, the guy at Rock Krawler said I should get diesel specific shocks. He said that shocks for the front of a 3.6L is not adequate for a diesel.

I'd really like to hear this groups thoughts about the pros and cons of both alternatives. If you've had any experience with either of these alternatives, have photos, or have done some research on this issue, I would appreciate any input.
Sponsored

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
I completely understand and agree with wanting/needing weight specific shocks/springs for the JLURD when you upgrade. I intend to do the same AFTER my 1st set of tires wear down a bit and I learn what the diesel can do in stock form. I am curious though why said vendor states the stock "shocks for the front of a 3.6L is not adequate for a diesel." I would hope R&D at JP would have made them appropriate for the stock set up. If he meant "not appropriate" for when you upgrade, that makes sense. Good luck. I will be following to learn for my own future build.

OP
OP
darylgordon

darylgordon

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
I completely understand and agree with wanting/needing weight specific shocks/springs for the JLURD when you upgrade. I intend to do the same AFTER my 1st set of tires wear down a bit and I learn what the diesel can do in stock form. I am curious though why said vendor states the stock "shocks for the front of a 3.6L is not adequate for a diesel." I would hope R&D at JP would have made them appropriate for the stock set up. If he meant "not appropriate" for when you upgrade, that makes sense. Good luck. I will be following to learn for my own future build.
It was the guy at Rock Krawler that told me that front shocks for a 3.6 wouldn’t work well for a diesel.

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
I installed the RK 2.5 lift. They couldn't get the springs so the shop went with the AEV diesel shocks. I asked if they were diesel specific, they said yes. Later I found out that was a lie. However, I also installed AEV Borah Wheels with BFG KM3 37's and Fox 2.5 remote Reservoir adjustable shocks. They installed the 2.0s by mistake. Took it wheeling before they installed the 2.5. HUGE difference. The 2.5s are amazing.

I took it into the dealer to have the steering gearbox and damper replaced after the lift. They Techs at the Dealer said it was the best riding Jeep they have ever been in. I am not disappointed at all. This is NOT a cheap lift, but is was well worth it and rides better than stock. My wife rode in it after they installed the 2.0 and she said she loved the stock and hated the 2.0. When I got the 2.5s she was extremely pleased.
Jeep Wrangler JL Spacer Lift or 2.5" Rock Krawler Lift tempImageIYJEC8

tempImageGBx1rH.png

tempImagehXBCP7.png

tempImageD6lqDN.png

Sponsored

OP
OP
darylgordon

darylgordon

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
I installed the RK 2.5 lift. They couldn't get the springs so the shop went with the AEV diesel shocks. I asked if they were diesel specific, they said yes. Later I found out that was a lie. However, I also installed AEV Borah Wheels with BFG KM3 37's and Fox 2.5 remote Reservoir adjustable shocks. They installed the 2.0s by mistake. Took it wheeling before they installed the 2.5. HUGE difference. The 2.5s are amazing.

I took it into the dealer to have the steering gearbox and damper replaced after the lift. They Techs at the Dealer said it was the best riding Jeep they have ever been in. I am not disappointed at all. This is NOT a cheap lift, but is was well worth it and rides better than stock. My wife rode in it after they installed the 2.0 and she said she loved the stock and hated the 2.0. When I got the 2.5s she was extremely pleased.
tempImageIYJEC8.png

tempImageGBx1rH.png

tempImagehXBCP7.png

tempImageD6lqDN.png
Man, that looks great. What didn’t you like about the Fox 2.0 shocks?

Last edited:

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
Man, that looks great. What didn’t you like about the Fox 2.0 shocks?
Well, I ordered the 2.5s because I wanted the ability to adjust on and off road.

the 2.0s were just a little rougher for my wife. I was ok with them, but the shop put the 2.0s on in error. The 2.5s were $2k more, but I do a lot of off roaring.

nothing wrong with the 2.0s had them for about a week and a half. Shop asked me to please not hurt them because they had to resell them. Took it off road that weekend! They performed great.

either one is a good choice.
Sponsored