wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Holly Oaks ORV Park just opened this weekend here is Southeast Michigan. 113 Acres adjacent to Mt. Holly.

Haven't gone yet but many saying it's pretty great!

https://www.oakgov.com/parks/parksandtrails/holly-oaks-orv-park/Pages/default.aspx

Local news story
https://tinyurl.com/y4pjlqlk
I have been there. It is okay, it is NOT great. It is fun for about two hours. You can run 95% of the entire park in 2wd. There is a big concrete mound that is fun for about 10 minutes. There are two race tracks that with SxS on them, you will not be able to keep a windshield in your Jeep unless you lead all the time. It is small. There is a great rock crawling section called the Notch. This is geared to buggy or special built Jeeps for rock crawling. You will see zero stock jeeps. If you do see a Jeep on the Notch and it is not modified to be a purpose built rock crawler, it will be a beater Jeep and it will be towed or winched out. Still fun to people watch at. You can drive it all in about 30 minutes, and in about 2 hours, I was board and there will be some great people wathcing to be had. I made it about 3 1/2 hours before I left. I was there last weekend for the Detroit 4fest. They did have a vendors area set up with Jeep showing off concept vehicles. Americas Most Wanted 4x4 was there with a bunch of Demon powered JLURs and Gladiators and some local Jeep clubs.

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU 3.6L Punk'n Willys
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase
I called home this weekend and talked to my cousin and he told me they just opened this. Didn't they open a bigger one at the beginning of the year as well?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 2020 Raptor, 2019 Cayenne, 2009 911 C2S, 2005 911 GT3 Cup
Went last weekend. To end positive, I'll start with the bad:
-The Bad: Busy (tons of ATV & motorcycles buzzing everywhere; one crossed my path while I was on a defined trail and I hit the guy; no damage, but got both of our attention), dusty, man-made / gimmicky and dangerous (in addition to crowds, plenty of blind / downhill runs in the sand where if you slide off the trail, you're going to roll).

-The Good: Close (as in really close if you live on the north side of motown), fun (plenty of straight up / down), challenging things to try (might be man-made, but they are still there), cheap (even if you only go for an hour, it's only $15).

I equate it to golf: you don't expect the practice range to be the same as 18 holes. Once you adjust your expectations, it's a good time, but not like running a long trail in the wild.
Sponsored