Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
The electrical generation capacity needs to double in this country in order to keep up with widespread EVs. While some of that can be distributed (home solar and big house batteries) we're still going to need a grid with a much higher capacity than we have now.

I see that as a step we can start right now. Get the grid beefed up (and fix Texas) now. Build charging stations as well. As it comes on line, we can have more EVs.

But even with large scale upgrades, EVs still have the problem of range and charge time.

What I'd like to see is a universal quick change battery pack in a standard place on all cars. Drive up to the quick change station and it pulls the battery (or multiple batteries for larger vehicles) and replaces them. Then you drive away. The station manages a large bank of batteries that then can be charged the right way so they're ready for another vehicle that comes along. As battery packs wear out, they are taken out of circulation and replaced by new ones. I think a subscription service would be great for that kind of use. Or just manage it kind of like a propane exchange.
Sponsored

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
So all this alternative fuel discussion aside.....

Has the gas shortage situation in the southland lightened up ?

I can't really on the media...cause everything is a crisis with them..... crisis makes them money...

What do our southern friends here say is the real deal?

North Carolina, Virginia?

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Major changes have to start somewhere. Change is often slow and unsure.

I read an interview with Bill Gates some years ago. He quit school to start Microsoft. He was explaining about personal computers to his parents. His mother asked him, "Why would anyone want one of those?"

The first version of Windows came out in the 80's. It wasn't a decent product until 1995. Look where we are today.

I don't know if electronic vehicles are the future. However, I am willing to keep an open mind. The level of technological change in the last 20 years has been phenominal.
Imagine if Henry Ford listened to critics who said there were not enough places to refuel their T's.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
So all this alternative fuel discussion aside.....

Has the gas shortage situation in the southland lightened up ?

I can't really on the media...cause everything is a crisis with them..... crisis makes them money...

What do our southern friends here say is the real deal?

North Carolina, Virginia?
Just got back from DC area. Availability was fine, but a little expensive.

Palmetto Ruby

First Name
Scooter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon Diesel; 21 JT Willys Diesel
Here in the Upstate, South Carolina most stations have Diesel and at least one grade of gasoline, but it's mixed as to whether it'll be Regular or Premium. Mid-grade seems to be more difficult to come by as they seem to be prioritizing the book end grades. I'll occasionally drive by a smaller station with blanked out prices and bagged pumps, but most places are more or less normal. Prices got up to about $2.79 for Regular and $2.99 for Diesel around here and seem to be holding there for now.

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
Imagine if Henry Ford listened to critics who said there were not enough places to refuel their T's.
This is true ....but the auto had already been out for a time ...all the rich folks had them ....Ford simply made the car affordable to the masses which (forgive the pun) fueled further development of fuel delivery infrastructure......and there were far less EPA regs etc to deal with then in accomplishing that.

And it still took some time for the model t to make it to the masses.

And don't forget.....that was before the American wanderlust took root . Back then people just needed to get to town and back.

Now the new solution needs to go way further to be truly practical for all .
Sponsored