Southeast fuel shortage...

Socks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon Hardrock
So what about all the fuel that is in those extremely large holding tanks at the fuel depot’s where the tanker trucks fill up. Really odd to me. Can these tanks really empty out this quickly. Doesn’t make sense.
Personally, being old school, if they hacked your computer control system then by God go back to the stone age and do it manually. Grab a wrench and a crank and a pair of gloves. Pick up a pencil an a notepad and start moving the fuel manually. Like you use to do. Nobody ever hacked a human. Computer controls are great...until this happens and cripples everything.
Sponsored

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
thanks for exposing that this is a troll.... that last comment, again, is so far beyond the science and relevance to the actual problem, that there is no way this can be serious. I don't know where you pulled that from, but very creative.

btw the 35.2% or whatever is not how we manipulate masses, that is how we communicate with other scientists and how to best explain science to the public. the public (clearly) has no idea what an increase in 0.0109% means - people still don't know that the atmosphere is mostly nitrogen. so to communicate relative change and what an impact human activity has - to the public and to scientists alike - the 35.2% change is the correct scientific way to do that.

again the delta absolute change is 109 ppm or .0109 %.
the relative change is 419/310 - 1 = 35.2%

35.2% is not the increase in total CO2 in the atmosphere, its the increase compared to itself. it's a relative change. it's a much larger number, and is useful for manipulating the opinions of the masses.

the real increase, the absolute change is .0109%, and that number is subject to error. measurement technologies have changed much since the 1950's. data points are being produced at a way higher rate than in the 1950's as well. in other words, the measurements have been taken in different ways over time.
this is not how a control is done in a truly accurate experiment, with a consistent data set.

there are many other problems with the data. one of the most profound is the climate/atmospheric scientists are not even taking into account the fact that the interstellar medium our solar system is traveling through changes density as we orbit our galaxy over a 250mil year cycle.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
you can call me for a troll if you wish, but any true scientist will admit that you should make your measurements with the same equipment, calibrated the same, and double check your measurements. taking measurements over 100 years with different equipment calibrated differently obviously fouls the data. even a non-scientist would know this.

and then if you bring up ice core drills and testing for CO2 content the climate crisis crowd comes up with reasons to dispute the data.

if you bring up that the earth has been much cooler at times in history (multiple ice ages on a 50k year cycle) and much hotter at times in history (think arctic oil fields produced by vegitation) they will disregard those arguments because it does not fit the crisis discussion :)

and if you want to reply again let's discuss the ISM. how the density affects the heliosphere, the "solar bubble" and how far that bubble reaches. the shock front or "heliopause" distance can change as a function of that density. the sun's output is relatively stable, as is the speed of our solar system orbiting the galaxy. the density of the ISM is not constant, and is very relevant. the size and density of our heliosphere does have an affect on how much radiation the planets receive. and solar wind matters.

Last edited:

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
nobody on this forum and few people total really know more about renewable energy than I do.

you aren’t charging an ev at home without the grid for a long time to come
I think more than a few Powerwall owners would disagree with you, but ok. Amps are amps, whether they are going into a battery or your air conditioner. Even if the system can't handle your normal charge draw, you could always flip over to the slow boat 120V outlet. 99% of the time you are charging from something like 70-80%, pretty rare I come into the garage with less than that. I assume at some point that they'll drop the inverter from the equation and that will only make things easier (DC -> AC -> DC again is kind of dumb).

Whether buying that amount of batteries versus a natural gas generator is a good investment, probably not.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
So what about all the fuel that is in those extremely large holding tanks at the fuel depot’s where the tanker trucks fill up. Really odd to me. Can these tanks really empty out this quickly. Doesn’t make sense.
Those things are only built to hold so many days worth of supply, they are probably empty. You don't really know what the fuel mix is either, some of those tanks could be for aviation, diesel, heating oil, who knows?

Plus, they use electronics to control delivery, they might have been hit by the hack as well. Might be some poor guy standing out there with a wrench and a clipboard right now.

Sponsored

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
ok so a lot of the grid talk is over my head. all i want to know is will i be able to drive to north carolina in june for my fishing week at the beach? cause if i don't get away soon i'm going to loose it!

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
ok so a lot of the grid talk is over my head. all i want to know is will i be able to drive to north carolina in june for my fishing week at the beach? cause if i don't get away soon i'm going to loose it!
Only solution is to just head to the beach today.

Hopefully you're in a diesel. Or you've converted your Rubi to run on coal (you are from PA and I hear they have a lot of it there). Or maybe a cargo hold full of old lead-acid batteries you picked up from your contact at the back door of Autozone (my guy is real cheap, but flakey).

Jazzman65

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Yeah this expensive option makes no sense right?? Well when basement dwellers decide to play games with peoples lives, this is the situation we find ourselves in.

Literally had gassers staring with envy as I was filling up🤣

20210510_222724.jpg

20210510_222749.jpg
Same here. So glad I got my first Jeep and first diesel at the same time!

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link

You will have to ask the fish...

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Big thumbs up on this. I work for a power company and am related to someone who does stuff counter terrorism threat. Attacks on our power grid is one of the biggest threats we have in this country. Everyone is talking about how great EVs are when there is a gas shortage...no one talking about what happens when you lose power like Texas did in that winter storm or during a hurricane....
1st off 99% of EV owners also own ICE, then there are back up for EV with NG Generators both portable or backup. You would be surprised how many gas stations do not have back up generators at least here in the PNW. Besides when if the Electrical grid goes down there is no place to go anyway...

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Talking to some other jeeper's around me (NC) stations are out or running out already. some have waited for hours in lines. Everyone is panicking. Complete pandemonium. Just going to sit back and drink my beer I guess.
You need to get your ass off the couch and go buy toiler paper ASAP.

Last edited:

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
1st off 99% of EV owners also own ICE, then there are back up for EV with NG Generators both portable or backup. You would be surprised how many gas stations do not have back up generators at least here in the PNW. Besides when if the Electrical grid goes down there is no place to go anyway...
offroading

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
also, not to really argue. I was just making a point. yes most EV owners still have ICE but. since you're in the PNW. it's a bit different here on the east coast. gas stations along hurricane evac routes are required to have generators (with some minor exceptions) and then oil companies such as Exxon and Mobile are required to be able to obtain generators on site for all their stations within 24 hours.
Sponsored