Southeast fuel shortage...

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
I know what you're saying, and I'm not arguing, but these pipelines are private business, not a government operation. Should the government be in charge of and therefore protecting a very well funded private industry and its operations? These corporations seem to cry bloody murder at any attempt at regulation, but when they have an issue they want all the government help they can get. Seems like they want it both ways. I guess we all do, too...
Technically the gov't does have some security oversight on it. It falls under the TSA. Not trying to argue with what you're saying here, just providing a bit more info that was left off
Sponsored

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
according to AAA; Mississippi, Tennessee and the East Coast from Georgia to Delaware are the most likely to experience limited fuel availability
Talking to some other jeeper's around me (NC) stations are out or running out already. some have waited for hours in lines. Everyone is panicking. Complete pandemonium. Just going to sit back and drink my beer I guess.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I know what you're saying, and I'm not arguing, but these pipelines are private business, not a government operation. Should the government be in charge of and therefore protecting a very well funded private industry and its operations? These corporations seem to cry bloody murder at any attempt at regulation, but when they have an issue they want all the government help they can get. Seems like they want it both ways. I guess we all do, too...
When you've basically given a company a monopoly on efficient distribution to a region, you've created a national security issue and the government should be protecting it. Especially when other countries are so blatantly supporting cybercriminals attacking it.

Now comes the fun inevitability of some security staffer warning them this was an issue for years and some operational staffer overriding them because it would inconvenience his team or cost money. Most regulations exist because somebody messed up, cut a corner, did something they knew was wrong but thought they could get away with, etc.

And yeah, they certainly want it both ways.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
how about a logical retort instead of naming / abuse / etc.?

you have not addressed the problem of poor recycling rate of high tech batteries.
you have not addressed the fact that car emissions are not the whole problem.

but go ahead. make snarky comments. logic escapes you.
Ah, I see the mistake you've made there, you think I owe you a debate and education because of your snotty battery recycling comment. I guess we should just sit around and do the same thing over and over again because there's a tradeoff.

You aren't paying me, and I don't teach for free.

Sponsored

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
When you've basically given a company a monopoly on efficient distribution to a region, you've created a national security issue and the government should be protecting it. Especially when other countries are so blatantly supporting cybercriminals attacking it.

Now comes the fun inevitability of some security staffer warning them this was an issue for years and some operational staffer overriding them because it would inconvenience his team or cost money. Most regulations exist because somebody messed up, cut a corner, did something they knew was wrong but thought they could get away with, etc.

And yeah, they certainly want it both ways.
True. And how many lobbyists and lobbying $ did it take to create that monopoly? Again, the corporations almost always get the benefit and it is left to us, the taxpayers to clean up their messes. Oh, but don't try to raise the corporate tax rate, because then you hurt the corporations and they will never hire another person again and the economy will collapse...

I don't have a solution. We've been building ourselves into this mess for decades, in this industry and others. Most people could've seen this coming a long time ago, and did. But through it all, the warnings were ignored or obfuscated because it was too expensive/time consuming/painful/etc. to make the hard call.

OP
OP
FinnCustomKnives

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
Ladies, enough. This was not intended to be an indictment on corporations, government, traditional fueled vehicles, EV's, etc. Nor was it meant to be a debate about those things. This was intended to be a tounge in cheek friendly jab in the side to those who chose to go with gas powered Wranglers.

Leave the rest of the nonsense for Facebook, Twitter, or a Taco forum.🤣

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True. And how many lobbyists and lobbying $ did it take to create that monopoly? Again, the corporations almost always get the benefit and it is left to us, the taxpayers to clean up their messes. Oh, but don't try to raise the corporate tax rate, because then you hurt the corporations and they will never hire another person again and the economy will collapse...

I don't have a solution. We've been building ourselves into this mess for decades, in this industry and others. Most people could've seen this coming a long time ago, and did. But through it all, the warnings were ignored or obfuscated because it was too expensive/time consuming/painful/etc. to make the hard call.
Yeah, it's kind of a weird one, because when you build something that big you necessarily have to involve multiple governments, a bunch of private landowners, and anyone that lives near or relies on it. If the corporation isn't going to get more than a slap on the hand, they'll never spend the money to protect it. Better to keep it on the balance sheet and make your bonus #'s for the quarter.

We have an ungodly number of abandoned wells in Texas because the owners went bankrupt or disappeared and nobody left money around to properly seal them. The state is working on it now, but it will take decades (and the documentation sucks, so always adding new ones).

Sponsored

OP
OP
FinnCustomKnives

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
Buncha stations in Atlanta are out. Luckily I can run the Jeep on moonshine.
Most are out here in Cherokee, but some are still good. Diesel seems to be good, for now that is, probably only due to demand differences.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Buncha stations in Atlanta are out. Luckily I can run the Jeep on moonshine.
Wait, you got moonshine?! And enough to run the Jeep?! You southern boys know how to party!

@bigbaozi We have all the old mining remnants throughout Utah as well from gold and silver through uranium and all the fun stuff they leave behind when the markets/demand changes and companies disappear. Again, left to the locals and governments to clean up.

@FinnCustomKnives My apologies! You are correct and we have managed to sully the good name and nature of this institution! I shall remove myself from the computer for the next two hours at least as penance.

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
This really highlights the advantages of EVs; you can generate electricity at home, wind,solar, hydro, but you CANNOT refine gasoline at home. And of course, you have to drive to a gas station, which has challenges as well.
That’s why we use ethanol in our race cars 🤟

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Yeah, it's kind of a weird one, because when you build something that big you necessarily have to involve multiple governments, a bunch of private landowners, and anyone that lives near or relies on it. If the corporation isn't going to get more than a slap on the hand, they'll never spend the money to protect it. Better to keep it on the balance sheet and make your bonus #'s for the quarter.

We have an ungodly number of abandoned wells in Texas because the owners went bankrupt or disappeared and nobody left money around to properly seal them. The state is working on it now, but it will take decades (and the documentation sucks, so always adding new ones).
I hear what you are saying, but Colonial is mostly owned by the Koch Brothers as well as some South Korean, Canadian and Dutch corporations. Pretty sure this is not good news for them in any way. Also, in regulated industries like pipelines, companies are generally not permitted to invest in upgrades without the prior consent of FERC and DOT regulators since it adds to the "regulated base."

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
We had pipelines long before internet. They should be air gapped machines that send warnings to a separate connected controller at best. Physical firewalls. I'm sure they are staffed 24/7 anyway.
Sponsored