Shenanigans

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
At this rate, it’ll be next year, but I’ll definitely let you know.

I might be able to swing a weekday (Monday or Friday) with enough planning ahead.
Trail closes in 11 days.
Sponsored

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Oh man, this looks like tons of fun. Would have joined but totaled my JLUR about a month ago, and am waiting for the new one to arrive in a few weeks so will be able to join. A few pictures from crash and a trail run to Barrett Lake near Tahoe attached.
Sorry to hear about the Jeep, but those pictures are amazing. That’s now on my list!

Levi8than

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
I love this trail. Google maps calls it "rattlesnake creek road", but I've never seen a marker on the trail.
Stock Rubicon. I wouldn't want try the little ravine after the creek crossing without lockers. My kids like the fishing spot at the end (even though the trout are tiny).

I don't quite understand how the camera took this first picture. But it came out awesome at the creek crossing.

20180925_084356.jpg
IMG_20180925_080730.jpg
IMG_20181118_161246 (1).jpg

Sponsored

NewsShooter

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Wrangler
I used to live up there, we always called it Rattlesnake. I'll need to go up and revisit it again later this year. Sourgrass was our swimming hole, then got into kayaking and it's the put in spot to head down river, take out at Big trees or at the dam below for a bit more risk/reward

Grayson

First Name
Gray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - Sting Ray
I used to live up there, we always called it Rattlesnake. I'll need to go up and revisit it again later this year. Sourgrass was our swimming hole, then got into kayaking and it's the put in spot to head down river, take out at Big trees or at the dam below for a bit more risk/reward
sounds like you can answer this, can a stock JL Sport S (33s) do Sourgrass? Want to head there this weekend but not sure if that’s wise

Levi8than

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
sounds like you can answer this, can a stock JL Sport S (33s) do Sourgrass? Want to head there this weekend but not sure if that’s wise
Due to snow, the road is seasonal, I doubt the gate is unlocked.

But for the rest of the season:

You shouldn't have any issue on the first two rock gardens.

In the spring with heavy creek flow you may have trouble fording, but the rest of the season it's fine. There should be a cheater path just a bit down stream of the main road (though people often camp in the way).
Just after that there's a ravine full of rocks you may high center on. Have a friend spotting and you'll be fine.

Otherwise non-issue. I would not advise going alone. You probably won't have cell coverage.

Grayson

First Name
Gray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - Sting Ray
Due to snow, the road is seasonal, I doubt the gate is unlocked.

But for the rest of the season:

You shouldn't have any issue on the first two rock gardens.

In the spring with heavy creek flow you may have trouble fording, but the rest of the season it's fine. There should be a cheater path just a bit down stream of the main road (though people often camp in the way).
Just after that there's a ravine full of rocks you may high center on. Have a friend spotting and you'll be fine.

Otherwise non-issue. I would not advise going alone. You probably won't have cell coverage.
Thanks man, will look elsewhere for this weekend and do SG another time.

Levi8than

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Here's the info you need:
It looks like the official name for the Sourgrass Trail is 5N02R or Pine Needle Flat Road.
You'll find it by searching for "sourgrass" on this map from the Stanislaus National Forest: https://usfs-public.app.box.com/v/stf-mvum-calaveras-sw

From the key:
This symbol, used in conjunction with one of the other road ortrail symbols, indicates that the road or trail is open only during April 15 through December 15.

Looking at those dates, I'm guessing the closures are more to keep fishermen out during trout spawning, when it is illegal to fish the streams up there.

Sponsored

Nerdsmith

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport
Amazing, thank you for the photos! Do you reckon a lifted Sahara (2") w/ sway bar disconnected & 33's would be able to pull this off? Definitely not stock, right?
I did most of this trail on my stock JLU sport with lsd on stock tires. The harder stuff was no problem like the crossings etc are no prob when 35's on a 2.5".

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Fun little trail I would rate as 2/3 and more fun in stock vehicles. As mentioned, warning for Little Rattlesnake Creek crossing during spring run off. Mid to late summer being the most enjoyable time and the river canyon is cool during summer heat. Here are some last years random trail photos. Starting at Sourgrass day use parking area/gate and ending in the woods at the end of the trail. A lot of room for camping and the North Fork Stanislaus river is crystal clear and beautiful.
Rattlesnake Rd. 1.jpg
Rattle snake rd. 2.jpg
rattlesnake rd. 3.jpg
rattlesnake rd.4.jpg
rattlesnake rd 5.jpg
rattlesnake rd 6.jpg
rattlesnakes rd 7.jpg
rattlesanke rd 8.jpg

Trail head... https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...ffc242b43c653!8m2!3d38.3215742!4d-120.2160727

While you are in the area, think about Slickrock 4wd trail which is near by. It’s a mini 1 day version of the Rubicon Trail. A thru road with a lake on each end for camping. Rock crawling in the Sierra’s doesn’t get any better than this trail IMO. https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...e27be83cbb37d!8m2!3d38.4539206!4d-120.0072764

Last edited:

Sunshne×Whsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
This was the first real trail we took the jeep on about a month after we bought it. We hit the skid plate on the first obstacle, my wife said nope, and we went home lol She wasn't happy about the scratch and noise :facepalm:
Sponsored