Sponsored

Source: $2500 Base Price Increase for JL Wrangler

MLPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Willys JK 6M
my biggest concern isn't the content / price ratio, but rather how much dealers are going to markup with unnecessary add-ons and/or gouge...
Yea the first few weeks or months might be bad in terms of markup... pent up demand from people who held off buying last model year JK's and new buyers to the brand from seeing a brand new Wrangler.

Wonder if huge dealers like Koons will be willing to sell at invoice or below like they've been doing with the JK.
Sponsored

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I think the old pricing of JK and especially (rubicon full options) are basically overpriced.. Hence the serious debate begins.

Redeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197, E90 M3, '13 JK
Yet they still can't meet demand and there's still no competition. Until that happens you can bet FCA will keep raising prices.

Thau

First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former KJ owner
Ford is bringing back the Bronco in 2019/2020 to introduce some competition to the segment. I know that no one can really complete with the Wrangler, but the Bronco should keep Jeep dealerships from gouging if you can wait until the Bronco comes out. Otherwise, just do your homework and negotiate a good price before signing for your new JL.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I think the old pricing of JK and especially (rubicon full options) are basically overpriced.. Hence the serious debate begins.
If they were overpriced you'd see a ton sitting on lots, and I rarely ever see a Rubicon in a dealership lot. What I see most of is Saharas with stupid combos like the 7 spoke rims or the all chrome package, but it's rare to see a Rubi, so I don't think they have a tough time selling them.
Even posers get rubis and them jack then up and put bling on them so they can be G-Waggin posing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Maybe power windows and alloys now standard in base model included in $2500 increase.

It makes me laugh when I build a JKU Rubi. Comes standard with 4.10 gears but when you upgrade to auto trans you get 3.73, but WAIT you can add 4.10 gears for only an extra $695 after you just added $1400 for auto.

Last edited:

Chief56

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I still say the wrangler unlimited is just another SUV with a jeep front - 2 door is the real thing

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
I still say the wrangler unlimited is just another SUV with a jeep front - 2 door is the real thing
That may be a solid narrative going forward, now that the JL 2dr is expected to be staying at it's current wheelbase length; with the 4dr being extended a couple more inches. I'd still put my money on a JL 4dr over any other SUVs off-road capability still. With all things, we'll just have to wait and see how it performs.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Here's the issue that I've only seen mentioned once in this thread: The current JK/JKU is over-priced. Which means the JL is going to be artificially over-priced no matter where they start MSRP at.

Look at what you're getting in a 2017 JK. Very little body compared to other SUVs due to the removable top. A stone age simple ladder frame. Solid axles. An OLD and outdated automatic transmission that they gouge people $1,500 to upgrade to. A manual transmission, roll up windows, manual door locks, and no air conditioning on the base model, etc. etc. It's the most basic and inexpensive 4x4 that any automaker builds for sale in the U.S. market. And yet, the base price with destination charges is OVER $25,000 and any options at all puts you above $30,000.

It's INSANE and FCA is raking in money hand over fist on the JK, which is why we've seen 3% price increases annually on it. As a salesman told me, "As long as people keep buying them, FCA will keep marking them up."

When you compare what you get for the money to other SUVs in the segment, it makes us look like fools on paper.

So, when they start JL at $2,500 above JK, you're automatically way over-priced to begin with. The changes they are making are not that expensive to add on. Think about the average guy 20-30 years old who needs to finance the Jeep to even get one. On a long term loan, you're adding $50 bucks a month to the base model, and $100 bucks a month to the Rubicon, on average. That's a really big deal to most blue collar Americans.

I really hope that this doesn't pan out to be true, because the 2018 JK is going to sell like hotcakes if this really turns out to be true.

Chief56

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Just joking about the Wrangler U, I'm retired and don't need the room 2 Dr is perfect - had my 1st in '78 CJ 7 which rusted out, had it re-skinned but then the frame rusted - then had kids and they didn't fit so bought a car. But now I'm back to the Wrangler - had a couple already - looking forward to my next one

Sponsored

N.Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 TJ
It's INSANE and FCA is raking in money hand over fist on the JK, which is why we've seen 3% price increases annually on it. As a salesman told me, "As long as people keep buying them, FCA will keep marking them up."
Not that I like price increases but that's supply and demand for you though. And FCA is a public company charged with maximizing shareholder profits. So of course it's going to sell its cars for as much as it thinks it can get for them.

Reason Jeep is worth more than the rest of FCA combined is it's a desired brand. And desired brands are able to charge a premium.

Personally I think the $2500 increase is reasonable considering the R&D involved in bringing a whole new generation out, the standard safety, technology and features we'll get, and considering that the 3% annual price increase you mentioned would already mean about a $800-900 increase for the next model year anyway.

PSA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
@Administrator any idea if the $2500 increase will be reflected up the entire model lineup all the way through the Rubicon Hard Rock?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
@Administrator any idea if the $2500 increase will be reflected up the entire model lineup all the way through the Rubicon Hard Rock?
Yes -- the $2500 increase is on the base price of the Wrangler itself. Trims are option packages essentially.
Sponsored