Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

From a reliable source: Expect a $2500 base price increase for the JL due to upgraded body, components and materials.

PLEASE NOTE: Pricing on new models is rarely finalized until the last minute so take this as an estimated figure subject to change.

Final pricing will depend on changing market conditions and other factors. Also keep in mind, as FCA has done in the past there is always the possibility of the “introduction” pricing being increased a few months after production launch.
Sponsored

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
face-with-open-mouth-vomiting_1f92e.png

Really did not expect this much of an increase for what? Standard side airbags, turn signal mirrors, and a backup camera?

Superwinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon, Yamaha Raptor 660
After the interior spy photos I pretty much thought it would be around that. As long as the JL has upgraded stock axles/suspension and lighter or better designed hard top I think it will be well worth it.

Jabs

First Name
Jabs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
With a standard screen, backup camera, side airbags, turn signal mirrors, lighter, better MPG, and a bunch of new standard upgrades this really isn't that much....

BlackRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Rubicon
With a standard screen, backup camera, side airbags, turn signal mirrors, lighter, better MPG, and a bunch of new standard upgrades this really isn't that much....
Yea, honestly I was afraid of an even bigger increase. I'm sure there's a lot more upgrades we don't know about yet. I'm more waiting (dreading) what the base Rubi will be priced.

Sponsored

Bullring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Remember folks, part of the reason for a current low base MSRP is a very old cheap NSG1 transmission giving a ~$1,500 discount to the base price, especially since if the 4cyl is the base and it doesn't get manual transmission, then no MT discount, ie the biggest chunk of the price boost.
Also, likely no more 16" steelies, so that's another possble entry level feature/price bump.

A list of some of the upgrades (including the cam , mirrors, and airbags amounting to less than $50 each);

2 of 3 new transmission (not including the diesel)
2 of 3 new engines (ditto)
Refreshed New Axles across the board.
Updated suspension components across the board
New upgraded battery , alternator, starter, etc for ESS (BOooo !) BSG (Yeah!)
New Electro-Hydraulic telescoping steering (on base or just upper trim?)
If the inside the plant spy photo is correct, then Heat Extractor Hood on base Sport
New Uconnect unit for even base model for rear cam.
More Easter eggs... well there's gotta be, right?

And that's just the ones I can think of at the moment.

But likely the biggest change in that MSRP is the change in the manual transmission and what trims/packages it's offered for.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
An unknown cost factor will be the Resale/Trade- in value of the JK. "IF" the entry level JL goes up $2,500 , I think JKs might have good resale and trade-in ; people who wanted a Wrangler , have more incentives for used now.
The visual differences won't be so great as to scream "dated old design", you have 11 years of JKs out there, lots of Aftermarket support, great new stuff coming out as we speak ( sliding windows for hardtop side windows, opening skylights for Freedom Top front panels, rear cameras, LED lighting, and Wait ! There's More !
For $2,500 I can add a lot to my 2 dr JK, which is almost paid for ; there's a lot to like , on paper, for the JL. BUT, there's a lot to like about my tried-and true JK. Since I'm a Frugal Entry Level , already manual, 3:73 gears, like to DIY, I need to try it out, hands-on.

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
Uh new and updated engines and transmissions?? A little more than just turn signal mirrors and some required safety I'd say. Take your pick from this list...http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...l-jlu-and-2019-pickup-jt-info-compilation.21/

I'd prefer no increase but it's really not that much from what we know to be new.
Everything is "new and updated" of course, it's a new model. I am listing things that weren't standard for last gen. MAYBE the price is more including keeping up with inflation and/or subsidizing the costly manufacturing plant upgrades. If the base engine is a Pentastar, okay.. but I've learned, as manufacturing technology processes improve, costs to the buyer decrease. The V6 isn't a new engine, It's been around awhile and they marginally improved it. My basis for all of this reasoning is comparing to something like an f150, where for the all new 2015 redesign (with, remember ALUMINUM) there was a modest $395 increase on the base model. I dont mind the price increase, but unlike you guys, I was not expecting such A leap.

Last edited:

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
A list of some of the upgrades (including the cam , mirrors, and airbags amounting to less than $50 each);

2 of 3 new transmission (not including the diesel)
2 of 3 new engines (ditto)
Refreshed New Axles across the board.
Updated suspension components across the board
New upgraded battery , alternator, starter, etc for ESS (BOooo !) BSG (Yeah!)
New Electro-Hydraulic telescoping steering (on base or just upper trim?)
If the inside the plant spy photo is correct, then Heat Extractor Hood on base Sport
New Uconnect unit for even base model for rear cam.
More Easter eggs... well there's gotta be, right?
This list is commonplace for an all new model though. Most automobiles go through a drastic improvement when redesigned. This was all expected. According to Allpar, the base price of the 2007 JK redesign from the TJ DECREASED.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
This list is commonplace for an all new model though. Most automobiles go through a drastic improvement when redesigned. This was all expected. According to Allpar, the base price of the 2007 JK redesign from the TJ DECREASED.
The list is commonplace except for the droping of a major discount item like the transmission.

Yeah, I've mentioned that TJ to JK drop before, and as the admin stated there is still a possibility of 'introduction' pricing. doing the same like they've done in the past.

We'll have to wait and see. I will be surprised if the base auto transmission to base auto transmission price jumps by $2,500 dollers, but if it's just the base manual to base auto, then that seems about right with about a 4% bump in price year over year, instead of a 10% jump.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Like Ape said the current base model is a manual with 3.21 and 16 inch wheels. We are just going to have to wait on the pricing to see what the effective increase is for most people.

For example my specs on a JKU would have included a manual sport s with 3.73, side airbags, connectivity, and a premium soft top. A lot that may be standard on the base JLU.

Bullring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Everything is "new and updated" of course, it's a new model. I am listing things that weren't standard for last gen. MAYBE the price is more including keeping up with inflation and/or subsidizing the costly manufacturing plant upgrades. If the base engine is a Pentastar, okay.. but I've learned, as manufacturing technology processes improve, costs to the buyer decrease. The V6 isn't a new engine, It's been around awhile and they marginally improved it. My basis for all of this reasoning is comparing to something like an f150, where for the all new 2015 redesign (with, remember ALUMINUM) there was a modest $395 increase on the base model. I dont mind the price increase, but unlike you guys, I was not expecting such A leap.
Sorry but the logic makes no sense to me. You want to focus only on the stuff that they already offer on the JK but just not standard. When you're looking at why such a big price increase that's not where all the money went. You're actively ignoring all the new changes, the NEW stuff they spent millions in R&D and factory investments for retooling to build a new vehicle. The profit margin on existing features is high, it's not out of pocket cost to offer it standard.

Maybe it's just me but if you're looking at a price increase you are comparing two models, the old and new, and seeing what improvements you're getting. This includes standard features that were once optional but more than anything for me, the NEW engines, transmissions, etc. You can buy a JK and get a backup camera or side airbags. What you can't do is get it with a 2.0L or diesel or new transmissions. So there's the value.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
$2,500 base price increase I can understand. I just wonder how much more it will be on the upgraded models. Like Ape said I think the base price increase will be due to more standard features, so I wonder what a base Sahara or base Rubicon will see over their JK counterparts

Chief56

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Base price increase and probably each option you add has a new updated price increase, like hardtop for $995 goes to $1200 and so forth. Maybe most options will be included NOT ! I wonder how much the 2018 JK base price will increase ?
Sponsored