danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I'm guessing the take rate of 1/2 doors is very low. The development costs are high to design doors that pass safety standards for a free option. I don't know if they are dead but money wise it makes sense to kill them off.
I agree I can remember back in the day when 1/2 doors were on a ton of jeeps at dealer lots. But I agree the cost to engineer vs. sales is very low. How many dealers EVER order stock jeeps in with 1/2 doors maybe 1%...hell alot of dealers don't even order manual 6spd anymore, they have to cater to the masses of people that want the "look" but never even drive on a dirt road let alone get off road.
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I'm "hoping" the Entry Level people don't get ignored in the rush to Bling.
"Entry Level" buyers generally add stuff over time, and are the Loyalists for the Wranglers.
My first new Jeep, after many old CJs, was a 1991 YJ, 4cyl, 5 speed, soft top, HALF DOORS, no carpet or back seat. I could afford it, imagine, a new Wrangler, great vehicle, traded in on a 1996 (Spring) TJ, this one dark green, tan soft top, HALF doors. Again, an affordable, FUN , blank slate to build on. Sure, they make money on the Big Spenders, but the brand's Endurance comes from the Entry Level people who support it for Generations.
Forget us at your peril, FCA !

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Half doors sell -- they will be made. Most are purchased after the jeep, not with it from dealers.

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon Unlimited
As of this morning 11/29/17, the sales manager at my local Jeep dealership said FCA has scrapped the half doors for JL's for the US market for 2018, and possibly indefinitely.

He said they will be manufactured for other countries (and thus could potentially be purchased separately as parts) but won't be an option that dealers can select when doing a build in the US due to crash requirements. He also noted that the i4 and diesel won't be available until 2019 model year.

Can any other dealers or insiders confirm?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As of this morning 11/29/17, the sales manager at my local Jeep dealership said FCA has scrapped the half doors for JL's for the US market for 2018, and possibly indefinitely.

He said they will be manufactured for other countries (and thus could potentially be purchased separately through parts department) but won't be an option that they can select when doing a build in the US due to crash requirements. He also noted that the i4 and diesel won't be available until 2019 model year.

wrong

its even advertised in the (US) launch lol directly from FCA. not sure as to MY avail. for diesel/4 cyl... but i think he's right on that.

Sponsored

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrong

its even advertised in the (US) launch lol directly from FCA. not sure as to MY avail. for diesel/4 cyl... but i think he's right on that.
A lot of options are being shown that won't actually be available until 2019 though, half doors may have just been pushed back and only scrapped for 2018. Either way, I hope you're right and he's wrong...

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A lot of options are being shown that won't actually be available until 2019 though, half doors may have just been pushed back and only scrapped for 2018. Either way, I hope you're right and he's wrong...
FCA would not advertise something for US launch that they had no intention of delivering (eventually).

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR

He said they will be manufactured for other countries (and thus could potentially be purchased separately as parts) but won't be an option that dealers can select when doing a build in the US due to crash requirements. He also noted that the i4 and diesel won't be available until 2019 model year.

Another dumb**s dealer.

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FCA would not advertise something for US launch that they had no intention of delivering (eventually).
Didn't they stop offering half doors in 2015 or 2016 though? I'm still rolling in my 2012 so I'm not sure on the details. I know if you were ordering a Rubi or Sahara you couldn't get one with half doors at all after 2015, but maybe still could have with other models. The design of the JL with the curve in the door looks like it was intentionally shaped to accommodate both full and half door aesthetics.

I'm also considering the possibility that the dealer is blowing smoke just so I'll go ahead and place an order, lol. I'm a cash buyer and they know I want a JL with half doors.

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Rubicons will have available half doors for 2019MY first, then it will be offered on the other trims.

Last I saw Job 1 for the half doors was scheduled for 11/28/18. It's likely to change one way or the other but I'd expect it around then.

Sponsored

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicons will have available half doors for 2019MY first, then it will be offered on the other trims.

Last I saw Job 1 for the half doors was scheduled for 11/28/18. It's likely to change one way or the other but I'd expect it around then.
That makes more sense. On a positive note, waiting until 2019 MY to buy is probably smarter anyway given their history with bugs in first-year models...

Daranello

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JLU Altitude edition
Half doors with cut out!! (not bad for my first post ;)

2018-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-44-1-jpg.jpg

2018-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-45-1-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If they are doing them, I really hope they don't all have the stupid cut-out... looks like something you would see on a concept car that never makes it to production.
Sponsored