First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
You didn’t answer my question….can the crush sleeve (under any condition) wear down from the pinion shaft?
No. There is no condition where the sleeve will rotate differently than the pinion. If this were to ever occur, the differential would have grenaded long before this would be a concern.
Sponsored

FJL40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr 6spd
No. There is no condition where the sleeve will rotate differently than the pinion. If this were to ever occur, the differential would have grenaded long before this would be a concern.
What does the outer sleeve ride on in the carrier case then? One way or another, the sleeve rotates correct?

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
What does the outer sleeve ride on in the carrier case then? One way or another, the sleeve rotates correct?
PM me or start a different thread. This thread has been diluted too much with ignorance already. The idea is to educate, not speculate. I’d be happy to talk to you about how this all really works, just not in the thread any longer. Let’s respect the OP and let him have his thread back to collect useful information for his issue.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
PM me or start a different thread. This thread has been diluted too much with ignorance already. The idea is to educate, not speculate. I’d be happy to talk to you about how this all really works, just not in the thread any longer. Let’s respect the OP and let him have his thread back to collect useful information for his issue.
Great point. My apologies to Ted for my part in the downward spiral.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
So for an update. The guy that did the work on this axle is an expert and is personal friend of the engineer that helped design the new Dana 44. Mind you the guy doing the work is the same guy that Dana and Spicer hired to build their SEMA 2021 builds of their Gladiator and their Bronco.

So the first he did is go over it. and he found some light wear in the carrier bearing. He replaced the bearings.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sound out of the rear end of a Dana 44 1639829035697

This did not get rid of the sounds so he goes through the whole rear end and while it is all in spec, and he shows the gear pattern to his bud that designed the JL Dana 44, his bud agreed that the pattern on the gears looked great, but 10,000s was on the farsidae of the gear lash spectrum and had him tighten up the tolerance. This did not improve the sound coming from the rear end.

Mind you this is the 2nd time he has torn this diff apart trying to get rid of the sound. He takes a new look at the wear pattern on the gears and notices a kind of weird wear pattern in the gear contact after tightening up the tolerances. Sends photos to his bud and the engineer see the weird cross pattern.

Come to find out the ring gear had warped and was no longer true. Yukon replace the ring in gear set under warranty.

Just so you guys know who our guy is that does our work on the differentials.... People come from all over to have him work on their off road vehicles. Lucky for us he is local and a super good guy to boot. When we dropped off my buds Jeep there was a fellow JLWrangelrforums member that was from Canada dropping off his Jeep for Ken to work on. The JLwrangerforum member recognized my Jeep from post that I had made to this site. Maybe he will chime in.

Ken knows his stuff andDana/Spicer hired him to built these for SEMA 2021.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sound out of the rear end of a Dana 44 1639829636391

Jeep Wrangler JL Sound out of the rear end of a Dana 44 1639829665816

Jeep Wrangler JL Sound out of the rear end of a Dana 44 1639829700632

Jeep Wrangler JL Sound out of the rear end of a Dana 44 1639829776574

So my buds Jeep is back in full service and ready to travel the US starting in 13 days!

Bill's JLUR

Jeep Wrangler JL Sound out of the rear end of a Dana 44 1639830513853

Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Ted, do you still feel Dana/Spicer builds junk and will never spend another dime on their products?
I do. I would have not hate spent the last money on them if I could have got something different with in my time frame. As I gear up to leave in 14 days for a 20,000 mile trip over 11+ months, I still have the constant fear that it will fail me once again with no real parts availability After all, when I bought my first replacement axle it started to fail at 2200 miles. I was lucky that it did not completely fail until after I got off the Rubicon Trail. When I get back, I will be switching out the Dana 44 for a Dynatrack axle.

For those that read this and do not know, I am $6700 into repairs and replacements of the Dana 44 rear axle. If knew what I know now, I would of immediately went with a Dynatrac. So now I get to worry about its dependability for the next 11 months.

Last edited:

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I do. I would have not spent the last money on them if I could have got something different with in my time frame. As I gear up to leave in 14 days for a 20,000 mile trip over 11+ months, I still have the constant fear that it will fail me once again. After all, when I bought my first replacement axle it started to fail at 2200 miles. I was lucky that it did not completely fail until after I got off the Rubicon Trail. When I get back, I will be switching out the Dana 44 for a Dynatrack axle.

For those that read this and do not know, I am $6700 into repairs and replacements of the Dana 44 rear axle. If knew what I know now, I would of immediately went with a Dynatrac. So now I get to worry about its dependability for the next 11 months.
Good luck Ted. Hope your trip is epic.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
So for an update. The guy that did the work on this axle is an expert and is personal friend of the engineer that helped design the new Dana 44. Mind you the guy doing the work is the same guy that Dana and Spicer hired to build their SEMA 2021 builds of their Gladiator and their Bronco.

So the first he did is go over it. and he found some light wear in the carrier bearing. He replaced the bearings.

This did not get rid of the sounds so he goes through the whole rear end and while it is all in spec, and he shows the gear pattern to his bud that designed the JL Dana 44, his bud agreed that the pattern on the gears looked great, but 10,000s was on the farsidae of the gear lash spectrum and had him tighten up the tolerance. This did not improve the sound coming from the rear end.

Mind you this is the 2nd time he has torn this diff apart trying to get rid of the sound. He takes a new look at the wear pattern on the gears and notices a kind of weird wear pattern in the gear contact after tightening up the tolerances. Sends photos to his bud and the engineer see the weird cross pattern.

Come to find out the ring gear had warped and was no longer true. Yukon replace the ring in gear set under warranty.

Just so you guys know who our guy is that does our work on the differentials.... People come from all over to have him work on their off road vehicles. Lucky for us he is local and a super good guy to boot. When we dropped off my buds Jeep there was a fellow JLWrangelrforums member that was from Canada dropping off his Jeep for Ken to work on. The JLwrangerforum member recognized my Jeep from post that I had made to this site. Maybe he will chime in.

Ken knows his stuff andDana/Spicer hired him to built these for SEMA 2021.

So my buds Jeep is back in full service and ready to travel the US starting in 13 days!

Bill's JLUR

I'm in a group of mostly professional differential experts and almost all of them won't use Yukon gears anymore due to increasingly inconsistent run-out.
Sponsored