Sponsored

sound oscillates above volume 20 with 7" system

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
My volume on the 7" system seems to saturate at around a level or 20 (it goes to 38 I think?). Above that level, there is no extra across-the-board volume, but rather a waviness/oscillation where voices are loud during vocals and then volume drops when bass tries to kick in.

Has anyone else noticed this? I wasn't sure if this was the max output of the oem amp, limiters in the speaker wire and/or speakers, or if there is something just wrong with the system. I have tried with different inputs (phones, iPod, Sirius), parked and driving, with/without the "loudness" on, and with/without the speed volume control on.

Anyone have thoughts on this? I did not find this in other forum posts, but if you are aware of other similar posts please direct me there.

Thanks!
Sponsored

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Do you have the base system? I noticed in a rental I had with the base system that if I tried to turn bass up, when I tried to go to higher volumes bass totally dropped out and I was basically left with vocals. I'm assuming the factory speakers can't handle it, or that there isn't enough power to the speakers from the HU to drive the speakers up that high.

OP
OP
redelses

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
Thanks! That sounds similar. I have the 7" head unit (not the base base 5") but have the base speakers (do not have the upgraded alpine speakers/subwoofer).

Trying to figure out if it's something to mitigate by changing out the speakers, or if that is embedded in the software of the head unit or in the hardwiring of the limiters to the speakers? If I can address it simply by swapping out for some upgraded speakers that would be great.

Do you have the base system? I noticed in a rental I had with the base system that if I tried to turn bass up, when I tried to go to higher volumes bass totally dropped out and I was basically left with vocals. I'm assuming the factory speakers can't handle it, or that there isn't enough power to the speakers from the HU to drive the speakers up that high.

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Thanks! That sounds similar. I have the 7" head unit (not the base base 5") but have the base speakers (do not have the upgraded alpine speakers/subwoofer).

Trying to figure out if it's something to mitigate by changing out the speakers, or if that is embedded in the software of the head unit or in the hardwiring of the limiters to the speakers? If I can address it simply by swapping out for some upgraded speakers that would be great.
I'm not entirely sure to be totally honest. I know that in the alpine system, the head unit puts out a clean signal and then the amp process it and drops the bass out. I'm not sure if the base system has a different head unit, I wouldn't think it does but it may be programmed differently. You could attempt either new higher efficiency speakers, or adding an amplifier since your system does not have one. You could also try adding in both an amp and new speakers to see if you can pull better sound from it. The very best thing you could do would be to add a dsp, amp, and speakers so that you can tune for the exact sound you want. Dsr1, basic amp and some ok speakers you could probably do for at or under $500 if you don't care about a sub. It'll sound pretty good. You could also throw in a basic under seat sub if you wanted a little extra bass, or build a custom enclosure if you really like bass. All about what you want vs time and money you are willing to invest.

texasrugby911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S 2 Door
I have the 7" uconnect system with the base speakers and noticed the same issue. I thought maybe it was the stock speakers so I upgraded all of them except for the knee panel speakers. The sound was much improved, and I thought that resolved the issue, however, on longer road trips, I get the same issue, and it seems intermittent. When I am putting around town, no problem, but driving with the sound at about 15 - 20, around the 2 hour mark I get those issues sometimes. At one point the sound was about 15 levels too low, and cranking it to max volume it was barely able to be heard. turning it off and on a few time eventually resolved the issue. A few weeks back I also had an issue with apple car play, where my phone would be seen, and disconnect a few minutes later. I had to unplug my phone and plug it back in to resolve. This occurred after 2.5 hours of driving with no issues. I'm starting to think this could be a head unit issue.

Sponsored

Toxiclows

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy’s jl
the system sure seems to be designed to drop bass as volume passes a certain point ( usually around 22 or so ). i have an external amp and sub on a 5" system that i changed to an 8.4. and if i have the bass gain on my external amp up high. when i turn the music down there is way too much bass. and i have to. wind the amp back down. not ideal. but i have a dash mounted amp knob. so i just adjust. to compensate. . . . all factory radios in our jeeps are going to do this. . it is how they are designed.

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
the system sure seems to be designed to drop bass as volume passes a certain point ( usually around 22 or so ). i have an external amp and sub on a 5" system that i changed to an 8.4. and if i have the bass gain on my external amp up high. when i turn the music down there is way too much bass. and i have to. wind the amp back down. not ideal. but i have a dash mounted amp knob. so i just adjust. to compensate. . . . all factory radios in our jeeps are going to do this. . it is how they are designed.
If you run an LC2i pro it'll restore that lost bass as the volume goes up. Just run your signal into the LC2 from the jeep, and then into the amp. It requires a small power and ground, but you can just piggyback off of your amps power and ground.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have the 7" uconnect system with the base speakers and noticed the same issue. I thought maybe it was the stock speakers so I upgraded all of them except for the knee panel speakers. The sound was much improved, and I thought that resolved the issue, however, on longer road trips, I get the same issue, and it seems intermittent. When I am putting around town, no problem, but driving with the sound at about 15 - 20, around the 2 hour mark I get those issues sometimes. At one point the sound was about 15 levels too low, and cranking it to max volume it was barely able to be heard. turning it off and on a few time eventually resolved the issue. A few weeks back I also had an issue with apple car play, where my phone would be seen, and disconnect a few minutes later. I had to unplug my phone and plug it back in to resolve. This occurred after 2.5 hours of driving with no issues. I'm starting to think this could be a head unit issue.
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
Jeep Cares
Sponsored