charitysteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Rubicon
Hi,

Does anyone have advice on a way to reduce sound with a sky one touch top? I have no issues with it overall. In fact it is great. However, I bought a Thule cargo box and aerobars. When this is installed, regardless of where I position the cargo box, the wind noise is brutal at freeway speed. I bought a fairling which slightly helps but it is still bad and I have a 10 hour drive coming up.

I tried hotheads already and will send him some pictures so maybe some type of headliner can be created for the top. He did mention using moving blankets temporarily which is a solid idea but definitely rigged. Any other ideas?

Thanks.
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Hi,

Does anyone have advice on a way to reduce sound with a sky one touch top? I have no issues with it overall. In fact it is great. However, I bought a Thule cargo box and aerobars. When this is installed, regardless of where I position the cargo box, the wind noise is brutal at freeway speed. I bought a fairling which slightly helps but it is still bad and I have a 10 hour drive coming up.

I tried hotheads already and will send him some pictures so maybe some type of headliner can be created for the top. He did mention using moving blankets temporarily which is a solid idea but definitely rigged. Any other ideas?

Thanks.
I do Steve. Your timing is impeccable.

Tomorrow, check here https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/cheap-jeep-hacks-show-em-off-here.18785/page-7#post-482667 . After this thread.

It literally will be tomorrow's hack, before you said anything.

Of course feel free to check out the other hacks there already.

Happy trails!

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Go to your local upholstery shop and have them replace the fabric with a high quality triple layered one. It's how MyTop is able to make their powered convertible soft top quieter than any wrangler hard top, but you need a roof rack so their top wouldn't work for you.

OP
OP

charitysteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Rubicon
Thanks. I need to keep my wrranty, so I can't replace the existing top. Then for the hack, I am not sure what is being said. Create a metal bar rack that goes in the back and the some type of headliner can go to the back of the jeep?

i am wondering if something taut or stiff could be inserted above the front and rear seats. There is space. Something molded would be ideal. I prefer not to have to make anything. There will be an after market for this as more sky one touch tops get ordered.

Sponsored

Mrcake3014

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Thanks. I need to keep my wrranty, so I can't replace the existing top. Then for the hack, I am not sure what is being said. Create a metal bar rack that goes in the back and the some type of headliner can go to the back of the jeep?

i am wondering if something taut or stiff could be inserted above the front and rear seats. There is space. Something molded would be ideal. I prefer not to have to make anything. There will be an after market for this as more sky one touch tops get ordered.
The

Mrcake3014

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Hi,

Thanks.
HI, I had a 09 liberty with the same kind of roof. It had an retractable headliner that kind if took care of the wind noise. I wish that came as an option.

AmesosaurusRex

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Punk'n Metallic

Maybe see if you could cut some rigid foam to fit?

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon JLU 2.0t w/ eTorque & Moto Guzzi Griso
Hi there, I'm new to the site and raising this question again. I just purchased a 2019 with the SkyTop. I LOVE it! But, ~80 miles an hour, even without a roof rack, it's louder than I would like. Unfortunately that's daily commute speed in CA and on road trips. Actually it's not great over 60 miles an hour. Has anyone come up with a solution? I chatted with Mark from Hot Head Liners (super nice guy) and it sounds like they're aways out from doing one. . . They should have their soft top liner done in a couple of months and maybe it will work? However, I'm wondering if there are other options for: 1) A liner / sound deadner, 2) Has anyone done a wind visor such as you'd see with a sun roof?

Data23

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 3.6L
I was having the noise issues after installing the KC 50" Lightbar Pro6 and driving the jeep at 45 MPH and over. The lights were causing a disturbance in the force.... actually... a disruption in the aerodynamics on the top of the roof. The solution cost me only $10 bucks. The issue is that the sky one-touch cloth is mounted into the cross-members by only a small portion of the actual width of the cross-member; when wind flows over the top of the jeep, the cloth vibrates due to the similar effect of an airplane wing suctioning upwards; this is what is causing the "Telegraph like" noise. I've installed a foam weatherstrip between the cross-member and the cloth in the first cross-member of the jeep (the one above your forehead). The results were noticeable, and the "telegraph" noise went away event at 70+ MPH. The vibration of the cloth is dampened by the weatherstrip. You can add two strips if needed, and the weatherstrip won't be noticeable at all.

Sponsored

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This sounds like an awesome idea! Do you mind snapping a picture or two of what you did?

Data23

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 3.6L
I got the weather strip at Home Depot in the windows and doors section, installed on top of the cross-member as shown in the red arrows. This reduced my considerably
Jeep Wrangler JL Sound Deadener for Sky One touch top 9FE56BC3-0EDC-4C1D-BF48-2475EA949DD0
Jeep Wrangler JL Sound Deadener for Sky One touch top A2178D4D-57B3-488F-BA2C-19B9B796A0D8

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got the weather strip at Home Depot in the windows and doors section, installed on top of the cross-member as shown in the red arrows. This reduced my considerably
Jeep Wrangler JL Sound Deadener for Sky One touch top A2178D4D-57B3-488F-BA2C-19B9B796A0D8
Thanks! Looks like a great idea. I’m going to give it a shot!!!

Moreace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Thanks! Looks like a great idea. I’m going to give it a shot!!!
Give us your feedback as well... seems like a easy option if it make an impact.

FedeF

First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3 - Alfa Romeo Stelvio
This sounds interesting!
Yesterday, after reading your post, I was paying attention on the cross members while driving. I noticed that they all vibrate as the speed increases. I am wondering if adding the weather strip on all the cross members front front to back would make an even bigger difference?
Sponsored