Sponsored

SOS BROKE DOWN

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Jeep has reduced power. Check engine light on.

Error codes: P1D90, P1D96

Google says incorrect gear ratio A or B defective.

Has anyone seen this before or know what it means?

Any chance in hell this can be fixed in a day or less?

We’re on a road trip to Las Vegas from Minnesota for our Wedding.
Sponsored

NMPirate

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon
Occupation
King Shit of Turd Island
Start with making sure all of the fuses in the fuse box are all pressed down and locked in place.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
You need to get it into the closest Dealer, and probably get a Rental. Some of this will be based on how busy their Service department is, and parts availability.

Please see below:

Jeep Wrangler JL SOS BROKE DOWN Capture p1d96.PNG
Jeep Wrangler JL SOS BROKE DOWN Capture p1d90.PNG

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I'd start with shutdown/lock/wait 2min/unlock/restart.

Then go check the fuses are pressed in, ground connection (specially right side of Jeep) and pull the glove box our and there are green and white connector blocks behind it. Check that all the pins and properly seated.

Good luck.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
As stated above. Press all the fuses and relays in. Disconnect the batteries for 15 min or so, with the headlight switch on to remove residual voltage from the system. This will clear any codes. Reconnect the batteries and see if the problem persists.

Other things to check, as in the list that @Old Dogger posted above. Make sure the fuel cap is properly tightened and use only Top Tier fuel. Don’t just buy the cheapest gas you can find.

Also, check your oil level. NEVER assume that the dealer changing it got it right.

Sponsored

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I'd start with shutdown/lock/wait 2min/unlock/restart.

Then go check the fuses are pressed in, ground connection (specially right side of Jeep) and pull the glove box our and there are green and white connector blocks behind it. Check that all the pins and properly seated.

Good luck.
The “two minutes” point here is important. It takes at least that long for the Jeep to shut fully off and the systems to reset. Also move the fob far enough away that the vehicle doesn’t recognize the proximity sensor.

OP
OP

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
*** UPDATE ***

So when this all started I was about 3 hours from home. ... I started headed BACK HOME .. I stopped at the auto parts store, cleared the codes, they came right back on..

4 miles from home, so 6 hours in the trip... the jeep now drives FINE ! full power, and reverse and all the gears work .. check engine light is still on, but i'm sure it will clear itself soon ...

I checked the fuses under the hood, no smoking gun.. How do I get to the fuses behind the glove box ? are there any? I'll google it in a second.

Here's my dilemma, do I now risk it and take the jeep to vegas, or switch to the toyota camry and cancel all my jeep trails along the way ? we had about 10 days of jeep trails planned ...

I didn't find a smoking gun yet, so I don't know if i should risk it.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
*** UPDATE ***

So when this all started I was about 3 hours from home. ... I started headed BACK HOME .. I stopped at the auto parts store, cleared the codes, they came right back on..

4 miles from home, so 6 hours in the trip... the jeep now drives FINE ! full power, and reverse and all the gears work .. check engine light is still on, but i'm sure it will clear itself soon ...

I checked the fuses under the hood, no smoking gun.. How do I get to the fuses behind the glove box ? are there any? I'll google it in a second.

Here's my dilemma, do I now risk it and take the jeep to vegas, or switch to the toyota camry and cancel all my jeep trails along the way ? we had about 10 days of jeep trails planned ...

I didn't find a smoking gun yet, so I don't know if i should risk it.
Read the first post of this thread. I hate to tell someone to ”take the Camry,” but you’ve got a wedding to ultimately get to. I wouldn’t take the Jeep that far from home until I was sure this problem was sorted.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...matts-off-road-recovery-24-hour-rescue.95914/

OP
OP

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
I checked all the fuses 3 times ... got the glove box off, checks the green and white connectors ... I did not see anything loose.

not sure what to do next ... keep troubleshooting or hop in the Camry and go.
If I found a smoking gun, I’d be ok with taking the Jeep cross country ...

Sponsored

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
I checked all the fuses 3 times ... got the glove box off, checks the green and white connectors ... I did not see anything loose.

not sure what to do next ... keep troubleshooting or hop in the Camry and go.
If I found a smoking gun, I’d be ok with taking the Jeep cross country ...
Based on the trouble code definitions posted earlier, it sounds like your transmission may be slipping, or it's just a trans sensor(s) going bad. Guess the question is - are you comfortable driving the Jeep around with that knowledge?

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
You have automatic trans issues. You are just asking for trouble in driving it. Plus it may do more damage to your transmission.$$$$$ So take your other vehicle....

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The fuses under the hood, between the battery and the firewall, on the passenger side.

As seen in the post above, other things could have caused the codes. The transmission wouldn't suddenly just get better. Maybe you bought some bad gas or didn't completely fasten the fuel cap.

If it was me, I'd just drive it and monitor it. But I'm a risk taker.

OP
OP

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Well guys, driving the Jeep around the house for 30 minutes running errands deciding what to do, the check engine light cleared itself.
After 20 minutes of debate between the Jeep / Camry, we decided to go for it in the Jeep. Almost 5 hours on the road and so far so good !

has anyone heard of transmission failures on the JLU’s ? Mine is a 2021 with 7,000 miles... sat mostly the last 5 weeks as I was doing the bumper / winch etc... maybe hopefully I got the gremlins out ?

wish me luck ! No turning back now !
Sponsored