Sorry - Still Confused - MSRP/Invoice Calculation

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
I am sure this is stated somewhere but I have failed thus far to find clarification on a thread.

Does the 6% below invoice figure include TT&L or is that simply the sales price of the Jeep from the dealer?

I see that most say that 6% below invoice (~10% below MSRP) is considered a good deal. You can get higher if you travel but most seem to be happy with that deal. I tend to ask for out-the-door cost to me and I am not sure if I should be targeting that number to be 6% below invoice or their actual sale price.

Thanks!
Austin
Sponsored

tm2924

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS
I figured my discount without TTL. Here in Missouri, we pay at the Department of Revenue when we get our plates. Other states the dealer collect that at purchase.

OP
OP
agarber5687

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I figured my discount without TTL. Here in Missouri, we pay at the Department of Revenue when we get our plates. Other states the dealer collect that at purchase.
I live on the IL side of the river, and all I know is I pay a lot in taxes....all of them

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
Too many variables from state to state to compare out the door prices....IMO. I think folks usually report a discounted price before TTL. I just made a deal for a new order and got about 11% before TTL,

I think the dealer charged me a bit much for the transfer paperwork....but I was satisfied with the over-all deal. The tax and license in AZ are quite high compared to some other states. It is what it is.

OP
OP
agarber5687

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many variables from state to state to compare out the door prices....IMO. I think folks usually report a discounted price before TTL. I just made a deal for a new order and got about 11% before TTL,

I think the dealer charged me a bit much for the transfer paperwork....but I was satisfied with the over-all deal. The tax and license in AZ are quite high compared to some other states. It is what it is.
Thank you. That is what I needed to know so I am at least being somewhat reasonable in the prices I am looking for from the dealers.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Discounts off of MSRP or invoice price are calculated before TT&L. Once calculated you can figure out monthly payments using an auto loan finance calculator and plugging in your interest rates and term.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Discounts off of MSRP or invoice price are calculated before TT&L. Once calculated you can figure out monthly payments using an auto loan finance calculator and plugging in your interest rates and term.
What about the huge $1500 delivery fee? If someone says he got 7% under invoice, does that include delivery fee? Or is he tacking that delivery fee on after (which means buyer is really paying more)?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
What about the huge $1500 delivery fee? If someone says he got 7% under invoice, does that include delivery fee? Or is he tacking that delivery fee on after (which means buyer is really paying more)?
Destination charge isn’t discounted. It’s factored in after discounts.

EnjoyLife

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado
When I got my discount, it was figured (Invoice + Destination Fee ~1500?) * (100% - Discount %) + TTL + $200 or $300 dealer fee.

So, my % off invoice was also applied to the destination fee. It was not applied to the dealer fee or the title & taxes.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Destination charge isn’t discounted. It’s factored in after discounts.
So are you saying when a buyer claims he has paid 7% under invoice cost, really he has not? Instead his real out the door payment is 7% below invoice + $1500 destination charge?

If I sit down with a sales person after agreeing on a 7% below invoice price (7% below invoice cost of vehicle and options), the sales guy is then going to want an additional $1500 destination charge on top of that?

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
So are you saying when a buyer claims he has paid 7% under invoice cost, really he has not? Instead his real out the door payment is 7% below invoice + $1500 destination charge?

If I sit down with a sales person after agreeing on a 7% below invoice price (7% below invoice cost of vehicle and options), the sales guy is then going to want an additional $1500 destination charge on top of that?
My Jeep has a sticker of $57,097 which includes the $1495 destination charge. The invoice price includes the $1495 too. I paid $50,450 which he said was just about 6% below invoice. Doing the math it seems that it’s 6% below the invoice price including destination charge.

So at least in my case it seems I was wrong about how I originally stated it. I got 6% below invoice INCLUDING the destination charge.

Posted the invoice below.

Attachments

shutamouth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
My Jeep has a sticker of $57,097 which includes the $1495 destination charge. The invoice price includes the $1495 too. I paid $50,450 which he said was just about 6% below invoice. Doing the math it seems that it’s 6% below the invoice price including destination charge.

So at least in my case it seems I was wrong about how I originally stated it. I got 6% below invoice INCLUDING the destination charge.

Posted the invoice below.
This is correct. Also might want to consider dealer fees. These range from around $200-$800 which were a larger percentage for me with a lower end wrangler. There is a GREAT spreadsheet on here which calculates MSRP, Invoice, and custom % under both. I recommend it to everyone to accurately compare apples to apples.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
This is correct. Also might want to consider dealer fees. These range from around $200-$800 which were a larger percentage for me with a lower end wrangler. There is a GREAT spreadsheet on here which calculates MSRP, Invoice, and custom % under both. I recommend it to everyone to accurately compare apples to apples.
Correct. Only 6% discount for me, but the dealership is local, $125 doc fee, no deposit required. It was better than an 8% deal with high dealer fee plus travel costs.

OP
OP
agarber5687

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you all, this is very helpful.

Does this sound right then?

3% off Invoice = ~5% off MSRP
6% off invoice = ~10% off MSRP​

Accurate(ish)?

Its much easier to get the MSRP on the fly.

sobeit69

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Freedom Ed. 2005 Hummer H2 SUT
Thank you all, this is very helpful.

Does this sound right then?

3% off Invoice = ~5% off MSRP
6% off invoice = ~10% off MSRP​

Accurate(ish)?

Its much easier to get the MSRP on the fly.
yes that's pretty close ...i got little bit over 11.5% off a $57,800 MSRP Rubicon with tread lightly and was 6900 off... so that's how i did all my quick estimates!
Sponsored