Sponsored

Soooo I'm finally making an order! I have questions...

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cultural Heritage Researcher
Hokay, so after a lot of waiting & saving and watching Bikini come & go (I shed a tear or two when that happened, I'm not ashamed to say) I'm finally gonna be going to the dealer on Tuesday to put in an order for my first ever jeep! (Sadly, both of the local dealerships are apparently they're closed on Sundays, and tomorrow is a Stat holiday [BC, Canada], forcing me to wait until Tuesday. 😔😔)

ANYWAYS, I have a couple questions that I wanna confirm, to be 100% sure on about my order.

I've decided to get a JLU Rubi, and my one big MUST have is a standard transmission, which makes picking an engine pretty easy for me. Beyond that, I'm getting the tow & HD electrical group, & steel bumpers.

Here is where I have questions:

1) Is Earl available yet? It's the colour I am currently feeling the most, Hydro Blue is a tad bit dark in my tastes, and failing all that, I may go with Reign. Or just order any colour and find someone who can get me a bikini wrap.

2) I'm waffling between going hard top or going for the dual top group. I don't know how often I'll run the soft top & switch between, but I've been told that the price of buying a soft top after purchase is a lot more than getting one factory with the dual top group. Can I get some people to convince me otherwise?

3) As for the rest of my order, what other options, including some of the smaller options (ie cargo rail management, door sill guards, all weather mats, cargo tub liner, etc) what is something you were happy to get, or y'all wished you had gotten, would have been a nice to have, or you found to be a bit of a waste?

I'm pretty firm on my big ticket items and what I want there, there's just some of the smaller things to figure out and decide from there.

Also, I'm aware I'm in for a wait, not that big of a deal for me, though it will suck a little to not be able to enjoy my jeep this summer!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Deleted member 59498

I had to have heated seats and LED lights. Was my only two options but being in BC I am sure your weather is not far from my own come winter and the seats and steering wheel heating is great in the Jeep.

LEDs because they are at least 2x better than standard halogen.

Oh and hard top. Not sure how well soft top is below 0F.

Reign is available for limited time and taking orders.

Deleted member 59498

Here is a shot of reign from another thread. Not sure if this is a damaged body or something but this is one of the few purples I actually like.

Jeep Wrangler JL Soooo I'm finally making an order! I have questions... 4B6E7A5A-E115-4ED4-B0E1-37F5DBFDAA05

OP
OP
M_Pluto

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Oh and hard top. Not sure how well soft top is below 0F.
I'm sorry my dude, you are talking make believe numbers to me. I speak in (mostly) metric.

Here is a shot of reign from another thread. Not sure if this is a damaged body or something but this is one of the few purples I actually like.

4B6E7A5A-E115-4ED4-B0E1-37F5DBFDAA05.jpeg
I've seen them, and I'm aware that Reign is a limited colour (it's my 2nd pick at the moment), I'm currently more interested in Earl ATM honestly, so I'm just trying to figure out if it's available for order yet....

Deleted member 59498

Yeah I am more Earl myself. Both are on the order books in the US so I expect they are in Canada also.

-18c or so.

Sponsored

OP
OP
M_Pluto

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Yeah I am more Earl myself. Both are on the order books in the US so I expect they are in Canada also.

-18c or so.
I'm asking cause the build & price on the Canadian website for jeep does not even have 2023 up.... also, it isn't as pretty or allow you to show what the jeep looks like for top on/off or doors on/off.

Sorry, I was teasing, guess that didn't come across :P

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Get the cold weather package and definitely the LED package. Remote start is also nice if you will be parking outside. On the small options… nope. Get aftermarket ones such as WeatherTech floor mats, etc. Fun to research and personalize those.

Do you plan to off-road?

Deleted member 59498

I'm asking cause the build & price on the Canadian website for jeep does not even have 2023 up.... also, it isn't as pretty or allow you to show what the jeep looks like for top on/off or doors on/off.

Sorry, I was teasing, guess that didn't come across :P

haha I thought you were.

If the Canadian website is as bad as the US website they will update it to be accurate about 2 weeks before new models comes out then go back to being wrong for 7 months. It is almost always wrong here! Annoying they can't spend a little more to get a better website!

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I say go for dual tops and sell the soft top if you don’t want it. Someone will pick it up.

I wouldn’t worry about the cargo rail system, there’s already 6 tie downs in the back of the JLU’s so that should be plenty.

Floor mats are nice, but you’re probably better off going with weather tech or another brand for the same price, and they might suit your needs better.

The door sill guards don’t have amazing coverage so I passed on them. I also don’t like people stepping on the door sills (the guards make it look like a step) because it’s always the first place for the paint to wear. Rugged ridge makes some good ones, but I put a strip of 3M PPF instead to make sure the doors still have a good seal for deep water crossings.

One thing I would consider is 4.88 gears. Especially if you’re planning on going bigger tires at some point or some heavier mods.

Also, if you’re on the fence with half doors, GET THEM. I love mine and still can’t believe I didn’t order them from the factory. Worth every penny.

Sponsored

OP
OP
M_Pluto

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Get the cold weather package and definitely the LED package. Remote start is also nice if you will be parking outside. On the small options… nope. Get aftermarket ones such as WeatherTech floor mats, etc. Fun to research and personalize those.

Do you plan to off-road?
Whoops, I thought I had listed the LED package, or it was a given because you can't order the Steel Bumbers without the LED package, which I'll be getting for sure.

I literally live where there is no cell service. Our driveway requires 4x in the winter just to leave home, so I more or less off-road any time I drive off our property. But to answer what you were really asking, I do plan on going into the woods, go find of off the beaten path camping spots, Super excited to go on adventures with my pooch (pictured as a puppy on the left)! This jeep will also be my daily driver.

edit: camping spots... not parking spots...🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️

OP
OP
M_Pluto

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I say go for dual tops and sell the soft top if you don’t want it. Someone will pick it up.

The door sill guards don’t have amazing coverage so I passed on them. I also don’t like people stepping on the door sills (the guards make it look like a step) because it’s always the first place for the paint to wear. Rugged ridge makes some good ones, but I put a strip of 3M PPF instead to make sure the doors still have a good seal for deep water crossings.

One thing I would consider is 4.88 gears. Especially if you’re planning on going bigger tires at some point or some heavier mods.

Also, if you’re on the fence with half doors, GET THEM. I love mine and still can’t believe I didn’t order them from the factory. Worth every penny.

If I was going to get the door sill guards, I was gonna go with the plastic, mostly to make getting in and out easier for my dog, as she will be my main passenger for the foreseeable future.

I hadn't given much thought to the gearing, tbh, as this is a bit of a blind spot in my knowledge. What size tires can I do up to without needing to re-gear? I have a lot to learn still, but I'm super excited to get working on my jeep!

As for the half doors, did you get the premium or base uppers? I more like the idea of tube doors, though the idea ordering the factory half doors that automatically lock & stuff is nice one up. TBH, I'm not totally sold on the half doors... I also won't be able to enjoy them until next summer, as I don't expect my jeep to arrive until the middle of the winter.

MeatRack

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 2023 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Hokay, so after a lot of waiting & saving and watching Bikini come & go (I shed a tear or two when that happened, I'm not ashamed to say) I'm finally gonna be going to the dealer on Tuesday to put in an order for my first ever jeep! (Sadly, both of the local dealerships are apparently they're closed on Sundays, and tomorrow is a Stat holiday [BC, Canada], forcing me to wait until Tuesday. 😔😔)

ANYWAYS, I have a couple questions that I wanna confirm, to be 100% sure on about my order.

I've decided to get a JLU Rubi, and my one big MUST have is a standard transmission, which makes picking an engine pretty easy for me. Beyond that, I'm getting the tow & HD electrical group, & steel bumpers.

Here is where I have questions:

1) Is Earl available yet? It's the colour I am currently feeling the most, Hydro Blue is a tad bit dark in my tastes, and failing all that, I may go with Reign. Or just order any colour and find someone who can get me a bikini wrap.

2) I'm waffling between going hard top or going for the dual top group. I don't know how often I'll run the soft top & switch between, but I've been told that the price of buying a soft top after purchase is a lot more than getting one factory with the dual top group. Can I get some people to convince me otherwise?

3) As for the rest of my order, what other options, including some of the smaller options (ie cargo rail management, door sill guards, all weather mats, cargo tub liner, etc) what is something you were happy to get, or y'all wished you had gotten, would have been a nice to have, or you found to be a bit of a waste?

I'm pretty firm on my big ticket items and what I want there, there's just some of the smaller things to figure out and decide from there.

Also, I'm aware I'm in for a wait, not that big of a deal for me, though it will suck a little to not be able to enjoy my jeep during the summer!
I'm gonna hurl earl. Rubi, v6AT, xfer case, xtreme recon, led, cold weather, safety, adv safety, tow, 3pc black HT, black grill, front cam. Kinda wishing I had ordered the 1/2 doors but storage an issue. Going aftermarket for bumpers and other stuff. Frankly though I like your choices too. You really can't go wrong.

[Edit: this is for a 2023 in US]

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

One thing I did is opt for the standard front bumper knowing that I wanted an aftermarket bumper capable of a winch and to be very light weight and outfitted for towing. Weight is a huge issue for me because I tow my 2dr behind my Class C RV. If weight is not an issue the steel bumper might make sense but if you plan to make mods to your ride, you might want to save that money for an aftermarket bumper.
Jeep Wrangler JL Soooo I'm finally making an order! I have questions... 81634476-5853-493C-AD0A-080E9E39C359

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
Do you have room to store the hard top if you order dual tops? For the times you want to run with the soft top? Many people don’t realize how much space it takes up.
Sponsored