Sponsored

Soooo I'm finally making an order! I have questions...

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Hokay, so after a lot of waiting & saving and watching Bikini come & go (I shed a tear or two when that happened, I'm not ashamed to say) I'm finally gonna be going to the dealer on Tuesday to put in an order for my first ever jeep! (Sadly, both of the local dealerships are apparently they're closed on Sundays, and tomorrow is a Stat holiday [BC, Canada], forcing me to wait until Tuesday. 😔😔)

ANYWAYS, I have a couple questions that I wanna confirm, to be 100% sure on about my order.

I've decided to get a JLU Rubi, and my one big MUST have is a standard transmission, which makes picking an engine pretty easy for me. Beyond that, I'm getting the tow & HD electrical group, & steel bumpers.

Here is where I have questions:

1) Is Earl available yet? It's the colour I am currently feeling the most, Hydro Blue is a tad bit dark in my tastes, and failing all that, I may go with Reign. Or just order any colour and find someone who can get me a bikini wrap.

2) I'm waffling between going hard top or going for the dual top group. I don't know how often I'll run the soft top & switch between, but I've been told that the price of buying a soft top after purchase is a lot more than getting one factory with the dual top group. Can I get some people to convince me otherwise?

3) As for the rest of my order, what other options, including some of the smaller options (ie cargo rail management, door sill guards, all weather mats, cargo tub liner, etc) what is something you were happy to get, or y'all wished you had gotten, would have been a nice to have, or you found to be a bit of a waste?

I'm pretty firm on my big ticket items and what I want there, there's just some of the smaller things to figure out and decide from there.

Also, I'm aware I'm in for a wait, not that big of a deal for me, though it will suck a little to not be able to enjoy my jeep during the summer!
Was just checking out the Canadian Build & Price page. A couple interesting tid bits showed up.
First, if you are getting the manual transmission, you can't get the XR package. That's a bummer.
Second, it looks like you can factory order it with 4.88:1 gears. If you're going to put bigger tires on it, I'd definitely go for the 4.88's for $1,100.00.
As a fellow Canadian, heated seats and steering wheel are a must have.
I also opted to purchase just the hard top. For a soft top I picked up the Rampage Trailview Fastback.
Check with the dealer on available colours, because sometimes colours that are not listed, are actually available. Never hurts to ask :).
Sponsored

OP
OP
M_Pluto

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cultural Heritage Researcher
Kidding, say goodbye to your budget. With a dog (I have a shepherd), getting her into/out of the back with the soft-top is a bit of a challenge unless I throw the window up on top after unlatching it. A swing gate would be good for you if you have multiple doggos. That's ONE thing the new Bronco got right....the soft-top back tilts up which is amazeballs.

Honestly my dog usually sits in the backseat or rides shotgun with me, so she will most likely be getting in through one of the passenger doors.

I'd wait and get HotHeads Headliner for your hardtop if I were you. You live in Canada right? You want that. I don't have the HotHeads Headliner and like the Mopar version (which I installed), but you DEF want that. But if you don't get the Cold Weather package, who cares right? I mean, you are about to go sit in a block of ice 1/3 the year....it'll warm up eventually! Kidding--get the cold weather package and thank yourself repeatedly every day during the Winter. Like every...day.

Do yourself a favor and DON'T buy sill guards or any of that crap until you research why....because the MOPAR ones don't cover your paint all the way and you can kiss your paint on the sills hasta-la-vista. Other things like cargo mats, cargo management (the trail rail is trash in my opinion....just saying), etc....search this forum and you'll find literally everything you need to make your Jeep mirror how you perceive it.
I hadn't heard of hotheads! But I took a look and they look much more with a purchase than the factory headliner (which I've heard isn't much better than a bit of recycled memory foam cut to fit). I've thought about getting the cold weather package, but honestly it seems like a "nice to have" extra that I can live without, as I've never had heated seats/steering wheel before, so I can live without the extra expense I think.

As for a replacement for the sill guards, any advice on what to get instead? Someone else in the thread suggested some kind of 3M adhesive or something, but a direction for a place to look for that would be nice!

Last edited:

jaardappel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Nomad, dog-father, Jeep enthusiast
Kidding, say goodbye to your budget. With a dog (I have a shepherd), getting her into/out of the back with the soft-top is a bit of a challenge unless I throw the window up on top after unlatching it. A swing gate would be good for you if you have multiple doggos. That's ONE thing the new Bronco got right....the soft-top back tilts up which is amazeballs.

Honestly my dog usually sits in the backseat or rides shotgun with me, so she will most likely be getting in through one of the passenger doors.

I hadn't heard of hotheads! But I took a look and they look much more with a purchase than the factory headliner (which I've heard isn't much better than a bit of recycled memory foam cut to fit). I've thought about getting the cold weather package, but honestly it seems like a "nice to have" extra that I can live without, as I've never had heated seats/steering wheel before, so I can live without the extra expense I think.

As for a replacement for the sill guards, any advice on what to get instead? Someone else in the thread suggested some kind of 3M adhesive or something, but a direction for a place to look for that would be nice!
[/QUOTE]
Factory Mopar liner is hard-board-like....as in thin and only providing an "air-gap" with velcro points that stick to velcro that you mount on your hardtop. I wish I could explain it better so you can get a visual. There's no foam or EVA or anything on the Mopar one I installed on my 2-door. But the air gap it creates makes a huge difference in retaining temp when I remote-start it. Before (without the headliner) it would be chilly and/or drafty....after installation it seems to be much warmer in the winter. I don't use the hardtop in the summer so I have no idea about insulating from the heat. So....no foam or insulation, a hard-board-like composite that air-gaps the hardtop.

OP
OP
M_Pluto

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Was just checking out the Canadian Build & Price page. A couple interesting tid bits showed up.
First, if you are getting the manual transmission, you can't get the XR package. That's a bummer.
Second, it looks like you can factory order it with 4.88:1 gears. If you're going to put bigger tires on it, I'd definitely go for the 4.88's for $1,100.00.
As a fellow Canadian, heated seats and steering wheel are a must have.
I also opted to purchase just the hard top. For a soft top I picked up the Rampage Trailview Fastback.
Check with the dealer on available colours, because sometimes colours that are not listed, are actually available. Never hurts to ask :).

Thank you so much for the advice on the gearing, this was one thing I wasn't super sure about, especially as I was thinking about going for beefier 35's as soon as I could afford them! As for the XR package, I'll ask the dealer to see if we can work out something. I find it hard to believe that it's available for US manual transmissions and not Canadian ones...

As for the colours.... well the Canadian build & price is kinda crap compared to the one people down south get, they haven't updated it yet to include the 2023 update, and the colour/image they're using for the Hydro Blue looks the exact same as the one they used for bikini pearl.... Had I not double checked for real world pictures of the hydro blue I would have ordered it and been SUPER disappointed that it was not as advertised on the site.... :/

As for the cold weather package, I feel iffy on getting that at best honestly. I've lived without one for this long, and am pretty sure I could keep on living without it. Would rather save the $$ on the chance I end up deciding to get dual door group....

jaardappel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Nomad, dog-father, Jeep enthusiast

[/QUOTE]
Sorry, one more--for the Sills, try to look for a set that will cover all the paint until your plastic interior trim meets the paint. I got Quadratec, there are lots of others out there. I wish Jeep would have made one that covered all the paint but they didn't. Mine mounted with 3M and has gotten a lot of abuse....no issues. Good luck!

Sponsored

OP
OP
M_Pluto

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Factory Mopar liner is hard-board-like....as in thin and only providing an "air-gap" with velcro points that stick to velcro that you mount on your hardtop. I wish I could explain it better so you can get a visual. There's no foam or EVA or anything on the Mopar one I installed on my 2-door. But the air gap it creates makes a huge difference in retaining temp when I remote-start it. Before (without the headliner) it would be chilly and/or drafty....after installation it seems to be much warmer in the winter. I don't use the hardtop in the summer so I have no idea about insulating from the heat. So....no foam or insulation, a hard-board-like composite that air-gaps the hardtop.
More or less what I've heard/read around here!

Sorry, one more--for the Sills, try to look for a set that will cover all the paint until your plastic interior trim meets the paint. I got Quadratec, there are lots of others out there. I wish Jeep would have made one that covered all the paint but they didn't. Mine mounted with 3M and has gotten a lot of abuse....no issues. Good luck!
Awesome, I'll look into them and see what I kick up! Thanks!

jeninchicago

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited
To save some money, I'm gonna skip the safety stuff, I've heard the collision breaking is a bit buggy and had people stopping in the middle of the road? Anyways, the standard safety doesn't sound like anything I really need, and driving a stick, I'm not too sure how well the advanced safety stuff will work.

I'm interested in the xtreme recon package, but I don't see it as an offering here in Canada on the build & price for some reason.

You'd think that when you have 10 acres storage wouldn't' be an issue, but that is one of my bigger concern with the half doors, I'm not sure I have a place to put them to keep them safely put away during the winter where they won't get scratched, as well as the second top that I'm not using at the moment.

Thanks! I'm trying to be as practical as I can with my purchase, while getting the essentials I think I'll need/want down the line, so I can hit the trials right away. Though I still want to save a bit of money, and giving me a nice jumping off point to do some modding down the line!

Weight isn't an issue for me at all. I do not have a fancy camper to tow my jeep with. My jeep will likely become my camper down the line if anything! Also, to be totally honest and put myself out there, for whatever reason, the most mistakes I've made with driving/smashing my car have always had to do with the bumpers. My current Mazda is looking pretty rough on the front passenger side because I was rushing and hit a column when I was pulling out of a parking spot🤦🏽‍♀️. It's more for the jeep & my wallets wellbeing that I am getting a steel number than anything. Bodywork is a bitch to pay for when you are in a rush and being an idjit.

As for mods I'm gonna make, I don't know what I'm gonna do honestly other than the small thing here or there. I don't plan on getting a massive lift right away (I'm 5'2", putting it up on 35"s is gonna be a challenge enough for me as it is... no need for the jeep to be chest height for me! 😂). It's probably gonna be mostly a slow progress as I discover what changes I wanna make over time. The only things I'm sure of are that I'm gonna tear out the carpet as soon as I can and get something like Lizard Skin installed.
Just a heads up. I'm 5'4" and just got my '22 with manual transmission. I have to have the seat pretty close to being all the way forward in order to push the clutch down to engage. So if you haven't driven a manual yet, keep that in mind. It's an easy hydraulic clutch, but it goes way down and I really don't like sitting SO close to the steering wheel, but alas, I will have to!

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Consider the two safety packages. They work flawlessly - no false alert in two years of ownership, Remember...accidents happen, and when they do, it's too late.

Opposing points-of-view tout the "just pay attention" strategy, but that sometimes comes with mixed results. :)

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
Congratulations! I too just ordered a JLURD for the Wench (actual term of endearment from 1988). Now, if I could just convince a moderator that I'm not a domestic terrorist, and am worthy of more funny without politics....

OP
OP
M_Pluto

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Just a heads up. I'm 5'4" and just got my '22 with manual transmission. I have to have the seat pretty close to being all the way forward in order to push the clutch down to engage. So if you haven't driven a manual yet, keep that in mind. It's an easy hydraulic clutch, but it goes way down and I really don't like sitting SO close to the steering wheel, but alas, I will have to!
I currently drive stick, and almost every vehicle I've owned to date have been stick shift. I have somewhat famously (within my family) stated several times the only reason I'll give up driving stick shift is if I ever get a full on EV. However the prices in 🇨🇦 are still priced at rich people money. That being said, I have to remind people to watch their knees when they get in my car because of how close I have to sit to the steering wheel (though tbh, I usually forget! 😂🙈).

Though I will say that my dad did try to convince me to get an auto transmission, but I just never like driving them as much as a stick shift.

Sponsored

Canucklesammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
More or less what I've heard/read around here!

Awesome, I'll look into them and see what I kick up! Thanks!
Rugged Ridge also has full coverage door sill guards. Some have reported they interfere with the door sealing when closed, but mine are fine. Maybe an installation issue?

OP
OP
M_Pluto

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Congratulations! I too just ordered a JLURD for the Wench (actual term of endearment from 1988). Now, if I could just convince a moderator that I'm not a domestic terrorist, and am worthy of more funny without politics....

Haha, lucky woman! I'm having to buy my own, but it's been my dream car for like 5 or 6 years and I've only gotten more and more firm on wanting one as time has passed!

Also JLUR'D'?

OP
OP
M_Pluto

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rugged Ridge also has full coverage door sill guards. Some have reported they interfere with the door sealing when closed, but mine are fine. Maybe an installation issue?
Ooh, I'll look into them as well!

jeninchicago

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited
I currently drive stick, and almost every vehicle I've owned to date have been stick shift. I have somewhat famously (within my family) stated several times the only reason I'll give up driving stick shift is if I ever get a full on EV. However the prices in 🇨🇦 are still priced at rich people money. That being said, I have to remind people to watch their knees when they get in my car because of how close I have to sit to the steering wheel (though tbh, I usually forget! 😂🙈).

Though I will say that my dad did try to convince me to get an auto transmission, but I just never like driving them as much as a stick shift.
Understood! My prior car was stick as well, but I was surprised at how close I had to sit in the Wrangler to use the clutch. Was just trying to pass on some thoughts to a fellow Jeep owner! I thought I had to sit close in my car and the Jeep is even closer - I think I have the driver seat all the way forward and still have to inch up a bit in the seat to get the clutch fully down.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T