Sponsored

Soooo I'm finally making an order! I have questions...

OP
OP
M_Pluto

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cultural Heritage Researcher
I'm gonna hurl earl. Rubi, v6AT, xfer case, xtreme recon, led, cold weather, safety, adv safety, tow, 3pc black HT, black grill, front cam. Kinda wishing I had ordered the 1/2 doors but storage an issue. Going aftermarket for bumpers and other stuff.
To save some money, I'm gonna skip the safety stuff, I've heard the collision breaking is a bit buggy and had people stopping in the middle of the road? Anyways, the standard safety doesn't sound like anything I really need, and driving a stick, I'm not too sure how well the advanced safety stuff will work.

I'm interested in the xtreme recon package, but I don't see it as an offering here in Canada on the build & price for some reason.

You'd think that when you have 10 acres storage wouldn't' be an issue, but that is one of my bigger concern with the half doors, I'm not sure I have a place to put them to keep them safely put away during the winter where they won't get scratched, as well as the second top that I'm not using at the moment.
Frankly though I like your choices too. You really can't go wrong.
Thanks! I'm trying to be as practical as I can with my purchase, while getting the essentials I think I'll need/want down the line, so I can hit the trials right away. Though I still want to save a bit of money, and giving me a nice jumping off point to do some modding down the line!
One thing I did is opt for the standard front bumper knowing that I wanted an aftermarket bumper capable of a winch and to be very light weight and outfitted for towing. Weight is a huge issue for me because I tow my 2dr behind my Class C RV. If weight is not an issue the steel bumper might make sense but if you plan to make mods to your ride, you might want to save that money for an aftermarket bumper.
Weight isn't an issue for me at all. I do not have a fancy camper to tow my jeep with. My jeep will likely become my camper down the line if anything! Also, to be totally honest and put myself out there, for whatever reason, the most mistakes I've made with driving/smashing my car have always had to do with the bumpers. My current Mazda is looking pretty rough on the front passenger side because I was rushing and hit a column when I was pulling out of a parking spotšŸ¤¦šŸ½ā€ā™€ļø. It's more for the jeep & my wallets wellbeing that I am getting a steel number than anything. Bodywork is a bitch to pay for when you are in a rush and being an idjit.

As for mods I'm gonna make, I don't know what I'm gonna do honestly other than the small thing here or there. I don't plan on getting a massive lift right away (I'm 5'2", putting it up on 35"s is gonna be a challenge enough for me as it is... no need for the jeep to be chest height for me! šŸ˜‚). It's probably gonna be mostly a slow progress as I discover what changes I wanna make over time. The only things I'm sure of are that I'm gonna tear out the carpet as soon as I can and get something like Lizard Skin installed.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

If I was going to get the door sill guards, I was gonna go with the plastic, mostly to make getting in and out easier for my dog, as she will be my main passenger for the foreseeable future.

I hadn't given much thought to the gearing, tbh, as this is a bit of a blind spot in my knowledge. What size tires can I do up to without needing to re-gear? I have a lot to learn still, but I'm super excited to get working on my jeep!

As for the half doors, did you get the premium or base uppers? I more like the idea of tube doors, though the idea ordering the factory half doors that automatically lock & stuff is nice one up. TBH, I'm not totally sold on the half doors... I also won't be able to enjoy them until next summer, as I don't expect my jeep to arrive until the middle of the winter.
I canā€™t say for sure how the manual will fair with the factory gears, but I do see many of the manual owners chiming in on how important gearing is when upgrading tire size. Usually you can go up one size (from stock 33 to 35) without it being a huge deal, but from what I have read you notice it more with the manual.

For the half doors, I have premium uppers, blind spot monitors, and keyless entry, so they function exactly as my factory doors do. The big benefit is being able to get more open air, without having to remove the entire door and throwing the uppers back on in seconds if bad weather rolls in. When adjusted properly, they wonā€™t flap in the wind or leak with rain either; however, they will have more road noise.

Tube doors are cool for keeping people and large items in the vehicle, but expensive (to me) for no weather protection. For me, weather protection was the primary factor in half doors vs. tube doors, or I would just run doorless.

Also, thereā€™s a HUGE market for half doors because you can only get them if you order from the factory. I picked mine up brand new from another forum member and had them repainted because it was significantly cheaper than buying all the parts and building them.

OP
OP
M_Pluto

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Do you have room to store the hard top if you order dual tops? For the times you want to run with the soft top? Many people donā€™t realize how much space it takes up.

I think I have a place to store the hard top, or I can work one out pretty easily. It's the dual doors that I worry about more, as those definitely need to be hung, and I don't know if I have a place to hang them safely in the winter.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Do you have room to store the hard top if you order dual tops? For the times you want to run with the soft top? Many people donā€™t realize how much space it takes up.
True. Had a hard top once upon a time. Opted for the soft top this time around.

OP
OP
M_Pluto

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I canā€™t say for sure how the manual will fair with the factory gears, but I do see many of the manual owners chiming in on how important gearing is when upgrading tire size. Usually you can go up one size (from stock 33 to 35) without it being a huge deal, but from what I have read you notice it more with the manual.
This is something I'll be definitely looking into then, and asking some more questions in other parts of the forum.
For the half doors, I have premium uppers, blind spot monitors, and keyless entry, so they function exactly as my factory doors do. The big benefit is being able to get more open air, without having to remove the entire door and throwing the uppers back on in seconds if bad weather rolls in. When adjusted properly, they wonā€™t flap in the wind or leak with rain either; however, they will have more road noise.

Tube doors are cool for keeping people and large items in the vehicle, but expensive (to me) for no weather protection. For me, weather protection was the primary factor in half doors vs. tube doors, or I would just run doorless.
I figure not having any windows will be a given for road noise... :P As for weather concerns, I live in a place that's a semi-arid desert. Cold winters (-20C winters) with hot, mostly dry summers (it got as high as 37C today). As for running doorless, it is not an option for me where I live, as I can't run doorless unless the vehicle comes from the factory without doors (like some of the TJs did back in the day I'm told?). Which is pretty sucky for me, and tube doors are the closest I can get for going doorless where I live...
True. Had a hard top once upon a time. Opted for the soft top this time around.
I'll be getting a hard top one way or another, since as I said above in this post, winters get pretty chilly here. I'm iffy about getting a soft top at all is where I'm at. But I'll probably get the dual top group and just sell it if I don't end up using it much.

Last edited:

Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

To save some money, I'm gonna skip the safety stuff, I've heard the collision breaking is a bit buggy and had people stopping in the middle of the road? Anyways, the standard safety doesn't sound like anything I really need, and driving a stick, I'm not too sure how well the advanced safety stuff will work.

I'm interested in the xtreme recon package, but I don't see it as an offering here in Canada on the build & price for some reason.

You'd think that when you have 10 acres storage wouldn't' be an issue, but that is one of my bigger concern with the half doors, I'm not sure I have a place to put them to keep them safely put away during the winter where they won't get scratched, as well as the second top that I'm not using at the moment.

Thanks! I'm trying to be as practical as I can with my purchase, while getting the essentials I think I'll need/want down the line, so I can hit the trials right away. Though I still want to save a bit of money, and giving me a nice jumping off point to do some modding down the line!

Weight isn't an issue for me at all. I do not have a fancy camper to tow my jeep with. My jeep will likely become my camper down the line if anything! Also, to be totally honest and put myself out there, for whatever reason, the most mistakes I've made with driving/smashing my car have always had to do with the bumpers. My current Mazda is looking pretty rough on the front passenger side because I was rushing and hit a column when I was pulling out of a parking spotšŸ¤¦šŸ½ā€ā™€ļø. It's more for the jeep & my wallets wellbeing that I am getting a steel number than anything. Bodywork is a bitch to pay for when you are in a rush and being an idjit.

As for mods I'm gonna make, I don't know what I'm gonna do honestly other than the small thing here or there. I don't plan on getting a massive lift right away (I'm 5'2", putting it up on 35"s is gonna be a challenge enough for me as it is... no need for the jeep to be chest height for me! šŸ˜‚). It's probably gonna be mostly a slow progress as I discover what changes I wanna make over time. The only things I'm sure of are that I'm gonna tear out the carpet as soon as I can and get something like Lizard Skin installed.
Wowā€¦ you are committed to making this practical tearing out the carpet! Will have to follow your progress and thoughts!

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I'll be getting a hard top one way or another, since as I said above in this post, winters get pretty chilly here. I'm iffy about getting a soft top at all is where I'm at. But I'll probably get the dual top group and just sell it if I don't end up using it much.
-20F here in winter on occasion, but between the heater and the Cold Weather package, I think the soft top will be okay.

OP
OP
M_Pluto

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Wowā€¦ you are committed to making this practical tearing out the carpet! Will have to follow your progress and thoughts!
I have a dog, occasionally I take my parent's dogs in my car. Dog hair, no matter what precautions you take, gets everywhere, its favourite place is to be permanently ingrained into the carpet of any car. It drives me fucking nuts. I'm also too cheep to pay to get my current car detailed since I'm not going to own it much longer. Tearing out the carpet is a practical solution. But I still wanna save the paint!
-20F here in winter on occasion, but between the heater and the Cold Weather package, I think the soft top will be okay.
I'm also going hard top to help a little bit with re-sale down the line, or if I just plain change my mind, as I remember being told that if I go factory soft top, the lines & tubing for the rear windshield won't be installed. Easier to come with it factory and decide which top I eventually end up keeping, and have it then need to pay for it later to be installed.

Last edited:

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Right now I am regretting NOT getting the soft top as well. Storage has become a big concern now for us on new purchases. We are full.

My Freedom panels have come off a few times and that is nice but I think having a true quick convertible experience would be worth it. However in the PNW we have about 4 months of top down type of weatherā€¦ but then life is short!

Astheros

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda Pilot
i just ordered a JLUR and i only got the following:
HD Electrical group, pre wiring for modifications is nice
X recon package, factory lift and 35" tires should get me most places id want to go
cold weather group (heated seats and wheel are nice)

i got the hard top bc this is already a noisy car, i want to minimize the noise as much as i can

no led package bc a/m ones can be had for less
no steel bumpers bc a/m ones can be had for less
no safety group bc more things to go wrong and who uses ACC and ADAS anyways.

Sponsored

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
i just ordered a JLUR and i only got the following:
HD Electrical group, pre wiring for modifications is nice
X recon package, factory lift and 35" tires should get me most places id want to go
cold weather group (heated seats and wheel are nice)

i got the hard top bc this is already a noisy car, i want to minimize the noise as much as i can

no led package bc a/m ones can be had for less
no steel bumpers bc a/m ones can be had for less
no safety group bc more things to go wrong and who uses ACC and ADAS anyways.
For noise I opted for the premium Alpine radioā€¦ 500W will hopefully compensate for any noise from a soft top. šŸ™‚ Otherwise I agree with the a/m options available.

McKenzie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR; 2016 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Education
Hokay, so after a lot of waiting & saving and watching Bikini come & go (I shed a tear or two when that happened, I'm not ashamed to say) I'm finally gonna be going to the dealer on Tuesday to put in an order for my first ever jeep! (Sadly, both of the local dealerships are apparently they're closed on Sundays, and tomorrow is a Stat holiday [BC, Canada], forcing me to wait until Tuesday. šŸ˜”šŸ˜”)

ANYWAYS, I have a couple questions that I wanna confirm, to be 100% sure on about my order.

I've decided to get a JLU Rubi, and my one big MUST have is a standard transmission, which makes picking an engine pretty easy for me. Beyond that, I'm getting the tow & HD electrical group, & steel bumpers.

Here is where I have questions:

1) Is Earl available yet? It's the colour I am currently feeling the most, Hydro Blue is a tad bit dark in my tastes, and failing all that, I may go with Reign. Or just order any colour and find someone who can get me a bikini wrap.

2) I'm waffling between going hard top or going for the dual top group. I don't know how often I'll run the soft top & switch between, but I've been told that the price of buying a soft top after purchase is a lot more than getting one factory with the dual top group. Can I get some people to convince me otherwise?

3) As for the rest of my order, what other options, including some of the smaller options (ie cargo rail management, door sill guards, all weather mats, cargo tub liner, etc) what is something you were happy to get, or y'all wished you had gotten, would have been a nice to have, or you found to be a bit of a waste?

I'm pretty firm on my big ticket items and what I want there, there's just some of the smaller things to figure out and decide from there.

Also, I'm aware I'm in for a wait, not that big of a deal for me, though it will suck a little to not be able to enjoy my jeep during the summer!
Regarding the tops - I see that youā€™re in interior BC, so I expect a similar climate to me (down in North Idaho ). I have a hard top, which is key for winter. I bought a soft top for my previous JKUR, and while it was nice, I found in my area I was either ā€˜all inā€™ (naked), or ā€˜all outā€™ (hard top), so I went just with the hard top when I ordered my JLR. I used the money for a Sunrider for Hardtop for the shoulder season (as well as road trips).

additionally, I was never a fan of having the soft top down on the swing gate - it was especially a pain loading the dogs in and out when the top was down

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Get the hardtop and a Sunrider. Best of both worlds.
Flip the Sunrider back whenever you want, take the hardtop when youā€™re able and button it all back up for the winter.

OP
OP
M_Pluto

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Get the hardtop and a Sunrider. Best of both worlds.
Flip the Sunrider back whenever you want, take the hardtop when youā€™re able and button it all back up for the winter.
The sunrider is an option I hadn't thought of before now! I'll look into it before I make my order!

jaardappel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Nomad, dog-father, Jeep enthusiast
I agree with most everyone in the thread here that you should focus on things that will become hard to get or a pain if you don't buy them right away....

*LED Group (huge difference in driving at night)
*Cold Weather Group (heated steering wheel is uh-maze-ing in the winter)
*XR -- if you get this....you will likely save yourself some serious cash later. Trust. Me.
*Steel Bumper Group
*Dual Top (Def get the premium twill top): I store my hard-top in my basement, next to the HVAC unit, in a tiny, tiny townhouse. I have to walk it around the backside of the townhouses which is literally a massive dropoff to a creek going straight down 75 feet. And it's a MASSIVE pain in the ass. BUT...this should illustrate to you that having both is a life changer.
*All-weather floor mats (I know....there are others, but I love the Jeep rubber ones, they look great)

After that, you'll never have to buy anything for your Jeep EVER AGAIN!

Kidding, say goodbye to your budget. With a dog (I have a shepherd), getting her into/out of the back with the soft-top is a bit of a challenge unless I throw the window up on top after unlatching it. A swing gate would be good for you if you have multiple doggos. That's ONE thing the new Bronco got right....the soft-top back tilts up which is amazeballs.

I'd wait and get HotHeads Headliner for your hardtop if I were you. You live in Canada right? You want that. I don't have the HotHeads Headliner and like the Mopar version (which I installed), but you DEF want that. But if you don't get the Cold Weather package, who cares right? I mean, you are about to go sit in a block of ice 1/3 the year....it'll warm up eventually! Kidding--get the cold weather package and thank yourself repeatedly every day during the Winter. Like every...day.

Do yourself a favor and DON'T buy sill guards or any of that crap until you research why....because the MOPAR ones don't cover your paint all the way and you can kiss your paint on the sills hasta-la-vista. Other things like cargo mats, cargo management (the trail rail is trash in my opinion....just saying), etc....search this forum and you'll find literally everything you need to make your Jeep mirror how you perceive it.

Good luck! I bet you are excited. PM me if you have questions on future mods and/or wiring, or upgrades that make life simple. But I'm 100% sure you'll find every answer in the forum here. It's my go-to for everything Jeep and it's gold.

VR

John
Sponsored