Soon to be a new Jeep owner

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
Hello all. I will soon be a new JLU Willys Sport owner. I have very little off road experience. I am a good driver and I do know a little about picking different lines and things, but the truth is very little. The wife and I will be up in the NC area in Nov. and I was thinking about trying Hurricane Creek. However watching some of the videos, and reading some articles people are saying you should have a winch, off road jack, and NOT go alone just in case.

We will have the dogs with us but know one else will be with us. I want to be safe first of course so we don't end up off the edge or stuck, or broke, just sitting there because I don't have a winch and jack or anything yet and probably won't be able to get these items before we leave. Of course weather will play a part if I decide to attempt it. I also have no doubt in the Jeeps capabilities, I have seen what other types of off road machines have made it. I know it is ultimately up to me, but the question is should I gain more experience on easier trails before attempting something like Hurricane Creek?

Thanks!
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
You may want to post in the North Carolina Roll Call thread, may be some guys that have been there on that one. Never know, maybe one of em will want to join you.

Congrats on the new Jeep.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
I dont know anything about Hurricane Creek. Your best bet is to hook up with some local Jeep clubs in your area and go out with them at least once. Generally speaking, you should not wheel alone, especially your first time. Some basic recovery stuff is necessary, jack, tow strap, gloves, flashlight, etc.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You may want to post in the North Carolina Roll Call thread, may be some guys that have been there on that one. Never know, maybe one of em will want to join you.

Congrats on the new Jeep.
^^^ this!

And provide in your post the same information you give here: (1) you are new to off-roading, (2) have a stock Willys with a rear LSD and 32-inch tires.

You want anyone who joins you to know exactly what they are getting into.

Good luck.

OP
OP
longfiredragon

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
I understand and appreciate the suggestions, and will take them. I do know about the basics. The wife and I never leave on vacations without blankets, pillows, tiedowns, tow strap, first aid kit, lighters, fire starters, tool kit etc. We tent camped for over 20 years, and we do own a 2020 Ram 4x4 even though we do no extreme off-roading with it.

I am going to try and hook up with some Jeep people down here before we go up. And may try to contact some Jeepers up in the NC area. It will be over the Thanksgiving holiday so there may be some people out and about.

I am old enough and wise enough to know I am know expert. And I will take all help and suggestions so that we can have many years of happy safe adventures.

Thanks Guys
Sponsored