plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I was talking to a Jeeper in China yesterday, btw, I found her on this forum but she is only posting in Chinese and I took some basic Chinese classes, so between that and Google Translate, we had some conversation about Jeeps.

1. 80% of the Jeeps in China can be qualified as Heeps here. Jeep may as well make angry bird grill standard equipment in China, because every Jeep has it in China. RGB lights are rampant in China, so every other Jeep can light up like a Christmas tree.

2. The mechanical labor is insanely cheap in China. Regear costs a little over $2,000 here and about $1,000 is parts, and in China, regear is FREE if you just buy parts from whoever doing your regear. So the labor cost is in the parts profit margin. Same things goes to most car jobs, brakes? Free if you buy pads and rotors. Engine and gear pils? Free if you buy oils.

3. The aftermarket parts are insanely cheap, also highly customizable. The cheap part I don't need to explain it, if you think they can make money selling knockoff parts on Amazon with shipping to US, imagine how cheap it can be if they don't need to ship to US. Oh often time these are not "knockoff", just from the same factory but unbranded. If you live near one of these factories, you can even walk up to them and tell them what you want and pay a little bit more, they can custom make some parts for you.

4. The regulations on modifying cars (especially Jeeps) are very tight, can't paint/wrap your car in a different color, no car can be in green color (to not confuse with military or postal delivery cars), no oversize tires, no tow hooks, no extruding bumpers...people still do color/tires/bumpers/tows though, they are illegal but nobody cares it unless your drive/park in front of police stations.

5. Everything is moving towards electric in China in an unfathomed pace, won't be surprised if they have a full electric knockoff Jeep in the next 1-2 years.
Sponsored