Something wrong or just no balls

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
I have a 2018 JLUR with 37s and 3.6 . I’ve noticed in several situations where I’m trying to climb a hill in loose sandy stuff my Jeep just cannot keep any good wheel speed going. I was in some really loose volcanic gravel this weekend and whenever I’d try to go up anything even with traction control off as soon as the computer started to sense to much of a load on the engine it would bog right down and the trans would not downshift in to a lower gear either. Is was really annoying. I was able to do a little better in 4 low if I manually shifted it but it doesn’t seem like I should have to resort to that if I’m trying to go fast. Has anyone else noticed this and is it simply a case of not enough power, is there something wrong with my Jeep, or does the computer purposely cut timing and throttle when you put the Jeep in a position it doesn’t like. Here some pics of the type of stuff I was driving in.​

F6D1D9EB-3E8D-4C45-B68D-08E6D2A7FE73.jpeg

1335DEC5-5AA8-452C-81A4-015627DB3F6E.jpeg
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
It is your traction control. It retards the engine as well as applying brakes. Turn it off and let those horses run! If it is still engaging when you've turned it off, then try holding the button for 10 seconds. In the JK, that shuts it completely off. Not sure about the JL. But one click cured it for mine, so maybe yours isn't disengaging like it should. Anyway, with it off, it shouldn't be bogging down like that. You might also try shifting in manual mode. It maybe downshifting too soon.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
It is your traction control. It retards the engine as well as applying brakes. Turn it off and let those horses run! If it is still engaging when you've turned it off, then try holding the button for 10 seconds. In the JK, that shuts it completely off. Not sure about the JL. But one click cured it for mine, so maybe yours isn't disengaging like it should. Anyway, with it off, it shouldn't be bogging down like that. You might also try shifting in manual mode. It maybe downshifting too soon.
Traction control on the JL is similar to JK. If you push the button once, traction control is still partiallyon. If you hold it down (i think for 5 seconds or so) it shuts off completely.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Traction control on the JL is similar to JK. If you push the button once, traction control is still partiallyon. If you hold it down (i think for 5 seconds or so) it shuts off completely.
Do you know if the “OFF-ROAD +” button by the lockers fully turns it off as well?

Or is it still in electro-nanny mode unless you fully disengage the traction control with the long press?

OP
OP

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ll try holding the button down for a while next time and see what happens.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know if the “OFF-ROAD +” button by the lockers fully turns it off as well?

Or is it still in electro-nanny mode unless you fully disengage the traction control with the long press?
Mine is a manual, so I don't have that feature. I do know that low range completely disables it.

I was in high range in sand in Kentucky and tried to go up a hill. It dogged down and I almost stalled it. After cursing for a second or two, I realized that the TC light was flashing when I was flooring it and nothing was happening. I clicked it off and then laid into the throttle and rocketed up that hill shooting rooster tails behind! So I now try to remember to shut that damned thing off every time I get off the pavement, LOL!

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Yeah lots of Jk guys make a cut off switch that fully disabled the traction control to prevent that

Brenden

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 rubicon unlimited manual, 2021 Ram 1500 ecodiesel crew

Just checked in my 2021 manual with offroad+. In 4h offroad+ turns off traction control but NOT stability control. Hold traction control after pressing offroad+. It will pop up on dash display when stability control is off.

4L shuts it fully off.

Something to remember is brake lock diff. Unless you engage rear locker or both lockers. On sand i could see this feel like it's cutting power while it's trying to keep power going to each tire equal.

Last edited:

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
What tire pressure are you running? In addition to the excellent advice above, I find that 12 psi or lower really helps in the loose stuff...

Sponsored

OP
OP

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What tire pressure are you running? In addition to the excellent advice above, I find that 12 psi or lower really helps in the loose stuff...
I didn’t air down. I was feeling lazy and wasn’t worried about getting stuck. Tire pressure shouldn’t affect the way it bogs down on me I wouldn’t think.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I didn’t air down. I was feeling lazy and wasn’t worried about getting stuck. Tire pressure shouldn’t affect the way it bogs down on me I wouldn’t think.
The increased flotation helps the rig float on top of the sand or pea gravel requiring much less effort and reducing tire spin. Try it next time in addition to defeating traction control. Totally worth the effort...

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It doesn't. The issue you had was the traction control. Airing down doesn't relate to that issue.

Sasquash

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 2 door, 1996 ZJ, 1976 SkiDoo Everest 440E
I haven't read all the responses yet ssome of this migh have been covered already.

I do 90%of my wheeling in sand dunes and pea gravel and there are a few common mistakes that can cause this.

Traction control was on. You have to hold the button down for at least 10 seconds.

You didn't air down enough. I'm a 2 door soft top and I usually run at 17 psi, you probably wanted to start at 12. The idea is to increase your foot print enough that you float kinda like a snow shoe. If you're not floating you're digging and increasing friction on your tires. And this will start bogging down your motor.

You have an automatic transmission. I try to keep my RPMs right around 3000 and it works fine. I've been out in autos and they have a nasty habit of being tuned for milage instead of fun. So they end up doing a lot of shifting and then they start heating up. Once they get hot the computer cuts power. So if you're taking an auto out you are going to want to manually shift it and keep it in lower gears.
Sponsored