Sponsored

Something similar to the Mopar’s Performance Rock Rails?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Want a Rock Slider that is also a step? AMP Research Power Steps are what I would recommend. They drop when you need to step in, and otherwise run retracted to protect your Wrangler on the trails.

And what happens when you smash that thing on a rock, if you fall of your line. Would it still work?. This happened to me, my slider kissed the rocker panel, and got a huge ding on impact. I had to get a long ass pry bar and bend it back to position.

Cool idea but seems better for the mall crawler crouds.
Sponsored

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I think the DV8 are frame mounted I am 95% sure, but you should double check that!.

Thats nothing for that Jeep. I dont see any wheel trail rash or any dings so still getting there!. You know we could take that 392 sometime next year to big bear if you want so you can feel a little more confident. It is worth it man.

This is the way I see it. You are careful, you pick a good line, have a good spotter and hope for the best. Body damage will happen eventually. But most likely it would be minor unless you push to very hard stuff and pick a bad line. As long as you are careful and take it easy on the skinny pedal, the worst that can happen is a ding on rocker panels, a scratch here and there. Stuff that can be fixed. You dont have to trash your Jeep and still do black diamond trails.

The way I see it. If I need to fix some body damage for 1k, it is worth it. If something really bad happens like a crack hardtop or damaged door beyond repair, Id get the insurance involved.

You just need to go out with a good spotter and build some confidence to lose the fear.

Bottoming out is not the end of the world, your spotter can check and make sure it is all good before you proceed, because the vast majority of the time it is the skid plates.

I drag on my skid plates every single time I go out. And I am driving a 2 door Jeep. Bottoming out a 4 door on 32s is really easy
Yeah I’m gonna wheel it, trust me. Everything I’m putting on is going to be for off-roading and camping remotely. I just don’t like using the word overlanding.

But when you buy a Porsche or Mercedes you never expect to be in a situation like I’m going to put the jeep through. It’s around $86,000 out the door which is a big chunk of change. But I know what I’m getting into and this is the vehicle I want.

I saw big bear has some badge of honor trails. Hey have you been on all of those yet? We should go wheeling together!

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
And what happens when you smash that thing on a rock, if you fall of your line. Would it still work?. This happened to me, my slider kissed the rocker panel, and got a huge ding on impact. I had to get a long ass pry bar and bend it back to position.

Yeah, you will damage it for sure…. And it is an expensive system…. But it is up and out of the way (unlike a fixed step) and so it won’t reduce your ground clearance.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner

Thanks I did see these but as of right now I want to stay away from motorized or electric sidesteps.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Yeah I’m gonna wheel it, trust me. Everything I’m putting on is going to be for off-roading and camping remotely. I just don’t like using the word overlanding.

But when you buy a Porsche or Mercedes you never expect to be in a situation like I’m going to put the jeep through. It’s around $86,000 out the door which is a big chunk of change. But I know what I’m getting into and this is the vehicle I want.

I saw a big bear has some badge of honor trails. Hey have you been on all of those are ready?
out of the difficult trails Ive only done gold mountain in big bear. Planning on running John Bull and Holcomb Creek next season after I get my front locker. I get you dont wanna ruin an 86k Jeep. Mine was like 31.5k before taxes lol (huge deals back then) But damage would cost the same on mine as on yours.

But look at it this way. When you are out with friends, close to town (big bear) it is where you want to test your Jeep. This is when you wanna take a risk. Then when you are out in the middle of nowhere you will have the experience to know the risks, then you might choose to use your winch to avoid getting into a bad situation or you might turn around. So if you want to get yourself out there, I think practice is necessary. And you wont get skills unless you challenge yourself.

Sponsored

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
out of the difficult trails Ive only done gold mountain in big bear. Planning on running John Bull and Holcomb Creek next season after I get my front locker. I get you dont wanna ruin an 86k Jeep. Mine was like 31.5k before taxes lol (huge deals back then) But damage would cost the same on mine as on yours.

But look at it this way. When you are out with friends, close to town (big bear) it is where you want to test your Jeep. This is when you wanna take a risk. Then when you are out in the middle of nowhere you will have the experience to know the risks, then you might choose to use your winch to avoid getting into a bad situation or you might turn around. So if you want to get yourself out there, I think practice is necessary. And you wont get skills unless you challenge yourself.
Amen to that! I’m going to use it to its full potential but I’m also excited to get up there this season for snow and rip some donuts.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Still can’t find anything I like. With the 37s I definitely would like a step since this my DD but most of the options lose clearance, have a tube design which I don’t like or don’t really offer protection. I’m almost thinking there’s nothing on the market at this time that I’m picturing in my mind.

BB7FFD15-77CB-4008-B81E-33C1AD4BCDB0.jpeg

Reactions: LCW

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Still can’t find anything I like. With the 37s I definitely would like a step since this my DD but most of the options lose clearance, have a tube design which I don’t like or don’t really offer protection. I’m almost thinking there’s nothing on the market at this time that I’m picturing in my mind.

BB7FFD15-77CB-4008-B81E-33C1AD4BCDB0.jpeg
You will always "lose clearance" to some extent with a frame attached slider if it pokes out, because they connect on the frame which sits lower than the body. In all honesty, this is something you shouldn't think much about as it isn't always a bad thing unless it is a nerf step. Nerf steps go below frame level and get you stuck on rocks. But steps like LOD, DV8, or SB SRC you don't really lose clearance. What happens is that they'll kiss the rocks, but won't get you stuck. This is actually beneficial in my opinion, because they will protect your doors a lot more and when you fall off your line your slider will take the hit instead of your frame, thus protecting your underside even better.

This "loss of clearance" is more of a pro in my opinion. The slider will never go below the frame so it is not gonna limit your offroading ability. They will kiss the rocks and you will slide, while protecting your frame, door, and even preventing more body roll.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Just a heads up, we went with the Westin Triple Tube Slider steps, the step is on top, up by the door sill, and, while it works fine for my wife, they're so high, it's actually a hinderance to me getting in and out.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
You will always "lose clearance" to some extent with a frame attached slider if it pokes out, because they connect on the frame which sits lower than the body. In all honesty, this is something you shouldn't think much about as it isn't always a bad thing unless it is a nerf step. Nerf steps go below frame level and get you stuck on rocks. But steps like LOD, DV8, or SB SRC you don't really lose clearance. What happens is that they'll kiss the rocks, but won't get you stuck. This is actually beneficial in my opinion, because they will protect your doors a lot more and when you fall off your line your slider will take the hit instead of your frame, thus protecting your underside even better.

This "loss of clearance" is more of a pro in my opinion. The slider will never go below the frame so it is not gonna limit your offroading ability. They will kiss the rocks and you will slide, while protecting your frame, door, and even preventing more body roll.
Yeah that's what I was referring to, the ones with the nerf steps that hang really low.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Yeah that's what I was referring to, the ones with the nerf steps that hang really low.
Fishbone has a similar frame mounted slider/step to the SB SRC/Westin Tri without the lower slider bar. My wife just didn't like the texture of their powdercoat when we saw it in person.
https://www.fishboneoffroad.com/products/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2158&idcategory=97

Edit: Also, Rugged Ridge has one that is similiar, but it has "rocker armor" built in. It is no drill, though: https://ruggedridge.com/p/xhd-rock-sliders/v/jeep/wrangler/2019/
Sponsored