Sponsored

Someone talk me out of going with the Sky One-Touch roof..

bonediggitty

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Ordered) 2022 JLU Rubicon XR
Occupation
Professional Bingo Caller
Wouldn't a thief have to be basically looking down on your Jeep to notice that it had a fabric top? And, of course, they'd have to climb up on top of the Jeep, cut it, then climb in.

I was initially thinking the same thing as you, but then realized that it'd be extremely unusual for them to notice that it was there, especially lifted three inches and on 37s.
I think it might be harder to get in thru the SOT than it is for thieves to break the glass.

The gaps in the SOT are very small, not like the Soft top, I can see an "unauthorized person" getting tangled in the SOT.
Guys. I love the idea of it and really like the way it looks. Just saying, crackheads will be crackheads…

-Do you have steps or sliders?
-Have you ever climbed up and stood on your tire?
-Do you think a crackhead cares about scratching the paint on your hood?
-Have you ever seen a fat crackhead?

Thieves know that Jeepers carry tools and gear. Lifted on 37s? Now they think you have money. Jokes on them, the real money is in the lift and tires.

You can see a soft top from the front, and you are imagining that criminals never see you driving up, with all the folds of your SOT bunched up, bumping Olivia Rodrigo… Criminals watch, and keep looking for something easy. If something looks easy they fixate on it more than a pesky scab on a meth junky.

I stand with what I mentioned before. I love the thought and look of an SOT. They might just be a target, like all other convertibles/soft-tops.

Also, you should never underestimate the craftiness of a crackhead.

LOL
Sponsored

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
It's nowhere near 1.7 grand if you already want the sunrider on a color-matching top.

For me: my wife wanted it on our last Jeep and would periodically "mention" that the next one would have it.
the extended mopar warranty costs that for 8 years, not the top and the warranty doesn't care how much stuff you added at the original build as it covers it all

JeepFiend

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door, 2011 Ford F-150 STX
Occupation
System Administrator

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
How was your experience installing the hot heads liner?? And no issues with it messing with the integrity of the SOT when it opens and closes?
Never installed anything like it. The videos on their site are really good at telling people like me how to do it right. So it came out good! I took it real slow, wanted it to be as close to perfect as possible took prob less than an hour. Then added in the Hot Heads screen as well, that one took even less time. Honestly, they are both high quality products and neither have any impact to the SOT opening or closing. The liner makes a slight crinkle sound going back and forth = part of the isulation in there, which makes the whole thing quieter, holds int. Temps better, etc. again no impact to the OEM parts operation. Go to their site and watch the install vids. I did a few times before buying.

Sponsored

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Never installed anything like it. The videos on their site are really good at telling people like me how to do it right. So it came out good! I took it real slow, wanted it to be as close to perfect as possible took prob less than an hour. Then added in the Hot Heads screen as well, that one took even less time. Honestly, they are both high quality products and neither have any impact to the SOT opening or closing. The liner makes a slight crinkle sound going back and forth = part of the isulation in there, which makes the whole thing quieter, holds int. Temps better, etc. again no impact to the OEM parts operation. Go to their site and watch the install vids. I did a few times before buying.
I know this is totally subjective but how much of a drop in noise was there after the installation?

Last edited:

darylgordon

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
I had a 2020 with the One Touch Roof and it leaked from for different places at different times. Yes, I could‘ve had it fixed with the warranty, but it was never consistent or from the same spot. I saw it as a sign to get a Wrangler with a regular removable top. I like the look of the traditional top better. Plus, I have an electric hoist in my garage which allows me to remove my top in less than 10 minutes by myself.

On the other hand, my partner had a One Touch Roof on her 2020 without any issues. She loved the convenience of the One Touch.

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
I know this is totally subjective but how much of a drop in noise was there after the installation?
Measurable, but didn’t measure-subjective answer :)
I have to say huh? To my passengers nearly never now. My hard top one was relatively noisy, the SOT without the linner was a LOT less noisy than the hard tops, with the liner it is quieter still and seems to hold temp better. i found a pretty good thread on the liner. more pics and info.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/hotheads-for-sky-one-touch.65304/

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Wouldn't the "smart" thieves roll down the window (at least in decent weather)?
Yes he would, after he cut his way into the Jeep, thru the soft top, shatter glass is a giveaway.

Sponsored

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase
Hi All - been lurking the forums for ages finally decided to just sign up.

I'm building my next Jeep and I am heavily conflicted whether I want to go with the SOT or stick with the body-color Hard Top that I'm used to. I am very much leaning towards getting it but of course the minor cost upgrade and uncertainty about long-term durability are the two things choking me up...

Bare in mind I live in New England, where the winters are cold, wet, heavy, and sloppy.
Ideally want to have this next Jeep for at least 8-10 years, so naturally I'm apprehensive about how the long-term reliability will hold up after years of use, elements, and so forth.

I hear nothing but good things on forums and groups but there's gotta be some that have had horror stories?
Also - any feedback on how the roof holds up if it's partially opened at high speeds?

Any and all information - horrible and great - will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all :)
This was the biggest decision for me when buying my first Jeep
Which top? 3 top options to choose from
I researched & tested, and drove all 3 options
All have their positives & negatives
I opted for Hardtop & Invested the difference of cost between SOT into a Hardtop Removal product which I love
I think you should rent a Jeep with the SOT before purchase. Use it for a weekend before buying
Regardless, based on the many SOT owners, looks like Jeep made a quality feature & they appear to be very happy
Best of luck in whatever you choose

DKayGing

First Name
Debra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi All - been lurking the forums for ages finally decided to just sign up.

I'm building my next Jeep and I am heavily conflicted whether I want to go with the SOT or stick with the body-color Hard Top that I'm used to. I am very much leaning towards getting it but of course the minor cost upgrade and uncertainty about long-term durability are the two things choking me up...

Bare in mind I live in New England, where the winters are cold, wet, heavy, and sloppy.
Ideally want to have this next Jeep for at least 8-10 years, so naturally I'm apprehensive about how the long-term reliability will hold up after years of use, elements, and so forth.

I hear nothing but good things on forums and groups but there's gotta be some that have had horror stories?
Also - any feedback on how the roof holds up if it's partially opened at high speeds?

Any and all information - horrible and great - will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all :)
I bought this one in 2019 when they were a new feature. Mine broke in 2021. The straps that run the length and have the tension to keep it tight broke. I googled and found multiple people with the same issue. It’s made of plastic. Part to replace one side was around $60.

sfurash53

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Willys
I live in Maine also Boston.
We are on our second Wrangler with a soft top and over 7 New England winters.
The soft top is great, especially on the JL.
No problem with warmth in winter despite parking outside only.
Just get the premium soft top and enjoy.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I found the Bestop Sunrider for Hardtop to be a great middle of the road solution for capturing most of the benefits of the one-touch and the hardtop.
Sponsored